It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEOShield to assess Earth defence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

I am all for preventing a ELE but who will be in charge of it and would it only be for the purpose of deflecting (or some other method) a NEO?

They are trying to work out who would be in charge of it now. The scientists and diplomats are all agreed that it needs to be a consensual supra-national effort. The military types are less enthusiastic about that approach. What does that tell you?

I am of the firm belief that elites run the world and it scares me to think that they would have weapons of some sort placed in near space that could easily be pointed inwards at the direction of some global body (under their direction). That's not even talking about using it against Aliens (if they exist), which would be either a good thing or bad thing depending on level of threat (if there is one).

Whether or not these "elites" exist, space has already been militarized. There is a strong likelihood that some nations will develop "anti-NEO" systems that have, er, secondary uses... but they will develop these anyway. Relax, if the "elite" wanted to reduce the population, they'd just add corn syrup to everything and diabetes would do the rest.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This isn't keeping me from sleeping or anything with paranoia, I just like to remind everyone that there are plus and minuses to every scenario especially with concern to furthering weapon capabilities for "defense". Seems to me that only the pluses ever get discussed. That's all.
edit on 27-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

They are trying to work out who would be in charge of it now. The scientists and diplomats are all agreed that it needs to be a consensual supra-national effort. The military types are less enthusiastic about that approach. What does that tell you?

It tells me that the two groups are fighting for the likely enormous funds that will be allocated for it

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
reply to post by neformore

the only reason they would start this program is because there actually is a NEO headed this way :

sad but true

A better reason is because it is a very real possibility that our planet will be hit just as it has for billions of years. Only now are about to enter the earliest stages have having the technology to implement a possible solution for future NEO's.

Sad, but even more true.
edit on 27-1-2012 by zarlaan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Coincidentally, a new thread about near misses was started today:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We definitely need more telescopes looking for these objects. They should be based not only on Earth, but in high orbits, on the dark side of the moon and even further out like the asteroid belt to give us early warning. Will these telescopes ever get funding though, let alone the technology needed to deflect the incoming?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
this is what we should be spending our money on, something that will have an outcome, war is only a set back to the next step.

My question is how long ago did they put this together, and i wonder does it have anything to do with 2012? you know the end of the world.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

dont kid yourself about the tech we do have but lack access too. (FOR A LONG TIME BTW)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join