It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEOShield to assess Earth defence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

NEOShield to assess Earth defence

www.bbc.co.uk

NEOShield is a new international project that will assess the threat posed by Near Earth Objects (NEO) and look at the best possible solutions for dealing with a big asteroid or comet on a collision path with our planet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Finally it looks like we're getting our act together when it comes to NEO's and the possibility of defending the planet from ELE's.

The big question is still, I suppose, whether we could successfully deflect one, but the article suggests a few methods.

I like the idea of this, and maybe it could be todays version of Regans famous "alien threat" speech - its certainly something that the whole world would need to pull together on.

What do you guys make of this?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

the only reason they would start this program is because there actually is a NEO headed this way :\

sad but true

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Awesome, it's about time the world puts money to good use. Enough of these stupid wars, we should be focusing on more stuff like this and space exploration.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I think the people with the real power, are very prepared for an ELE, and depending on the level of devastation, would not attempt to down it.

I mean, their ultimate plan is depopulation, and the development of a utopian society.

So if a NEO or comet was to threaten our civilisations existence, I think they would quietly head for their Underground facility's, and we would be lucky to get a couple weeks notice of our impending doom.

But I don't think that's going to happen, I think they will destroy us before a comet has the chance.

Vote Ron Paul

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Another operation that will eventually be swept under the rug.

Sure, it's needed, but this will be the last we hear of it for a while. Operations like this make their faces seen every now and then, but for reasons of responsibility (in case anything goes wrong) they'll keep it on the down-low.

I was always taught that blowing a N.E.O out of the sky was the way to go.

I guess this is true, so long as you can get in to small enough pieces that it simply burns up in the atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd

the only reason they would start this program is because there actually is a NEO headed this way :\

sad but true

I agree.

As you said: sad, but true.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I don't mean to rain on the doomsday parade but just because such a preventative step is taking is not sufficient evidence for impending doom.

You don't build a fire station when your house is already burning, you pre-empt it by building a fire station..

Good on em

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

they built a fire station because to many houses were burning down.

The fire came before the station, dont get mixed up now...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

ahaha reading my own post made me giggle and think

"I dont believe i've ever seen a fire station in a old western movie, roflll"

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

ahaha reading my own post made me giggle and think

"I dont believe i've ever seen a fire station in a old western movie, roflll"

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

To answer your questionabout wether we can deflect an incomong.

Of COURSE we could. We just need to get our you know what in gear.

Im sure with only a fraction of the resources we spent on iraq we could figure out a way.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

I was reading an article last week that suggested nuclear warheads actually could destroy comets. The report basically stated that after lots of research, the previously held belief that they wouldn't be much use against comets is actually wrong. This is basically because most comets are an agglomeration of materials rather than a solid lump - the shockwaves would force the comet to disintegrate, producing many tiny asteroids that would burn up in the atmosphere.

This obviously would not work so well with asteroids as they are more solid lumps of material. Still, seems we can sort one of the problems now and with this new proposal we should be able to keep track of all the ones we can't do anything about yet!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Surprise Asteroid Fly-by ..better safe than sorry

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Unfortunately, this sort of thing usually results in lots of talk, but no action. The up side is that there is a growing consensus that the problem is real and that the governments of the world will tackle it cooperatively when the time comes. The down side is all too many people will consider this a "false flag," a "boondoggle," the next step towards "Project Bluebeam," etc. It also won't prevent anyone from predicting that the next piece of space debris that floats by is going to destroy us all because we deserve it.

Developing the sort of systems that can protect Earth from a possible environment destroying impact from outer space would mark the pinnacle (thus far) of evolution: the biosphere will have evolved to the point that it can defend itself from the sort of natural catastrophes that have led to planet wide extinctions in the past.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
just a small reminder how important this is..

Earth Craters

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Have you heard of MOONSHIELD check it out , i cant play it but some of the smart people on here might be able to.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

the only reason they would start this program is because there actually is a NEO headed this way

Or because they have run out of excuses to get funding necessary to secure their jobs.

Now I guess the USA will be claiming to have saved the earth once every week and may even be asking others to compensate them for the protection.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I reckon its just a cover story to try to condone the huge amounts of space junk around the planet by reclassifying it as a NEO mine field

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I am all for preventing a ELE but who will be in charge of it and would it only be for the purpose of deflecting (or some other method) a NEO? I am of the firm belief that elites run the world and it scares me to think that they would have weapons of some sort placed in near space that could easily be pointed inwards at the direction of some global body (under their direction). That's not even talking about using it against Aliens (if they exist), which would be either a good thing or bad thing depending on level of threat (if there is one).
edit on 27-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join