It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappearing invidiual

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I shall keep this concise.

Recently a companion and I were exploring the train lines in the early hours of the morning when we encountered the long, dimly lit tunnel that led to the nearest station. The station was clearly visible and the tracks from the end of the tunnel to the station were faintly illuminated, giving us a hazy but reasonable sight of what was ahead of us. Suddenly I thought I saw the figure of a man, but passed it off as a figment of my imagination in the darkness. My friend turned his head unexpectedly and I looked back to the spot where I thought I saw the figure. Walking in the opposite direction was a man who seemed to be clad in black, with dark aviator-style sunglasses, and what I thought was a police officer's hat, that seemed to have some kind of reflective material on it. My initial thought was that he was a security guard of some description and that we were going to be warned against walking on the tracks, but he simply turned his head to face us and walked past.

The next part is slightly less simple to digest.

My friend who is a skeptic and has no great trust in the paranormal uttered "He just disappeared. I can't see him, but it still feels like he is there behind us". I didn't pursue the issue, and we fell silent. The man who had just passed appeared to have vanished into thin air. During the whole incident I do not recall hearing footsteps from him, or any sign that he broke into a run and if he had come from the direction of the station, he surely would have been spotted by staff.

On the way back we ran into another individual, whom I assume was a graffiti artist, but did not match the physical profile of the first.

I don't mean to jump to eccentric conclusions here, but something felt very unreal about those few minutes last night.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanita93

hi op
thats a weird one
because there was no interaction from the people that you saw
they could have been a future or past glimpse, it has happend theres few well documented on the net
heres one that always intrigued me

Worson was a shoemaker who lived in Warwickshire, England. He was prone to bragging about his prowess as a long-distance runner, and on September 3, 1873, he was challenged by two friends, linen draper Barham Wise and photographer Hamerson Burns, to run the 40 mile distance from Leamington to Coventry. Worson accepted and started jogging while his friends followed closely in a horse-drawn cart. Worson ran easily for several miles, conversing along the way with his friends. Suddenly, when he was only a half dozen yards from them, and with their eyes fixed upon him, Worson appeared to stumble in the middle of the road. He then fell forward and, as he went down, gave out an awful cry of terror. He then vanished completely. Burns and Wise searched frantically, but couldn't find a trace of their friend who appeared to have evaporated into thin air right before their eyes. A subsequent extensive search of the area yielded similar results, and Corson was never seen again.

source
www.qsl.net...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Hey, thanks for the information. Actually, we had a brief interaction with the second man. He asked us about our evening, we replied but all the while he seemed somewhat dazed and uncomfortable, and walked off remarking that we both looked concerned. I regret not asking him if he saw someone else. The only interaction we had from the first was that he definitely had his head turned in our direction before he disappeared into the tunnel.

It's quite unusual, the whole time I felt as if the place we were in was something from a dream I once had, but this new person, or entity is nothing I've ever witnessed before in reality, or in a dream.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Have you tried searching the net for any news articles on anyone being killed at or around where you were?

In other words, do you think he might have been a ghost? or do you think it was more likely a time slip?

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I have had a similar experience.
I live in a small town in the UK rich with history. Charles Dickens penned a couple of novels here, and many of our shops have something Dickens related as their name.
I have lived here for about 6 years, and my partners parents live here too.
One day, I was walking to their house. Over the road, I wasn't directly looking at him, I saw a man wearing a top hat, and a cloak. I turned my head to look, because obviously in this day and age, people don't wear such things. We have a Dickens Week festival where people dress in the style of the English Victorian era, but this festival was not on at the time.
Turning to look at the man, he wasn't there. I looked as he was parallel to me from across the road, and he just wasn't there.
I thought rationally, did I see a bin bag stuck to a fence? No, there were no bin bags in sight. Did I see someone else? No, there was no-one else nearby. But I definitely saw a man walking toward the road with a top hat and cloak moving behind him.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Great thread

I love stories like this.
When I was 10 I got this book - Stranger Than Science by Frank Edwards (1959) and was full of really scary stories
(for a ten year old). I loved that book and need to get another copy.

This story was included..

The Disappearance of David Lang

David Lang had not taken more than half a dozen steps when he disappeared in full view of all those present. Mrs. Lang screamed. The children, too startled to realize what had happened, stood mutely. Instinctively, they all ran toward the spot where Lang had last been seen a few seconds before. Judge Peck and his companion, the Judge's brother-in-law, scrambled out of their buggy and raced across the field. The five of them arrived on the spot of Lang's disappearance almost simultaneously. There was not a tree, not a bush, not a hole to mar the surface. And not a single clue to indicate what had happened to David Lang.

read more
www.museumofhoaxes.com...

So it may have been a hoax, or was it?

When I get that book I will relay some of the stories here in my own words, there are some really really scary ones.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I'm looking into time slips right now. As far as I am aware, there have been no murders, or publicly known murders in the area, and suicide by train would not be made known.

I must say, that is an interesting story. If the phenomenon happened as you said, I would love to know what the gentleman was thinking as he unexpectedly lunged into the cruel and alien future.

One thing that caught my attention during my research into this time slip phenomenon is the emotional experience that the individual has.

- Feelings of unease or drop in mood
- Feeling that everything seems unreal or dream-like
- Heightened sense of fear or apprehension

At the beginning of the walk, I could not shake the feeling that "this place feels like a dream", although I have tangible evidence that it was not. My friend was also very apprehensive about entering the tunnel, but this may have been related to his fear that a train may come.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I don't mean to belittle your feelings on the matter but coming from someone who has done a "disappearing act"
semidarkness is a great place to fade out if you are appropriately attired. the real question is what wast such a person doing in tunnel at your location

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Quite enjoyed the read . However I have to tell you that upon reading your tunnel story, my initial thought response was hey he probably was a railroad employee paid to check the tunnel. (as well as to check you out against a possible threat) and probably slipped into that side door. Tunnels do have side doors inside, don't they? Now where did I get that idea? So I did a quick search.

You said the tunnel was long, and if so there could be a ventilation system and a control room through a door inside the tunnel.

A ventilation system is used to reduce problems with fumes. As a train enters the west portal of the tunnel, doors close on the east portal and huge fans blow in cool air through a second portal to help the diesel engines. As long as the train is within the tunnel, the fans work with reduced power to avoid pressure problems. After the train has left the tunnel, the colored door immediately closes and the fans operate for 20–30 minutes with maximum power to clear the tunnel of exhaust before the next train passes through. In the opposite direction, the door opens when the train is about 1 km (0.6 mi) away from it. The fans are powered by 800 horsepower motors. There are two fans. Over 7 miles of air is moved by a combined 1600 HP fan array. Both fans running can 'clean' the tunnel air within 20 minutes. Present-day train crews carry portable respirators for use in the event of a fan failure or a train stalling inside the tunnel. In addition, there are emergency/safety stations spaced every 1500 and 2500 feet (460 and 760 m) apart, depending on the location within the tunnel, that provide additional air tanks and equipment to be used in the event of a ventilation/other failure.

OK, so your tunnel is probably different if you could see right through it, but nevertheless consider whether there could be a side door. Or maybe I watched too many Sherlock Holmes episodes in the past? i can distinctly recall the resonant sound made by the hooves as the horses went through tunnels.
Source
edit on 27-1-2012 by aboutface because: add source

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal

When I was 10 I got this book - Stranger Than Science by Frank Edwards (1959) . . . I loved that book and need to get another copy.

I, too, read that book as a youngster and remember it fondly. Thanks for reminding me of it again - off to eBay to find another.

As to the OP, quite interesting and thanks for the thread.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I'm no expert , but the OP's description fits the popular description of a shadow person , even down to the hat .

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While I remain skeptical , I can't ignore the spate of recent sightings

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I can confirm that the tunnel has no such doors, and only alcoves in which a person could be safe from an oncoming train. It is interesting that you mention the shadow people mythology as I believe I have had quite a few experiences with such an entity throughout my life. I have returned to the place, but things seemed inconclusive. Perhaps I'll wander the area again in the future and take photos.

top topics

join