It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Computer Security and Data Integrity Bible - ANOTHER MUST READ

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
yeah, i got my issue's sorted now, Will visit the bitdefender forums tomorrow regarding the flux in connection..

thanks for your help

i have done a few bits and pieces that you've mentioned, However without reading and taking it step by step im not in full understandment yet. However i do wish to atleast be savvy on security and other issue's.

i do like computers and i should have proceded with further education on it like i was told to do by my teachers ect but i went of track with school a little and gave up. Anything i do or learn is via the net or reading other posts ect.

thanks for your help. See you around again soon.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
No problem, let me know if you have any questions I'd be glad to walk you through it. It's all about taking it step by step. Thanks for the kind words.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Hey, great post. I appreciate somebody laying down the basic like this. Havent read through the whole thing yet, but definitely plan to.

This reminds me of a couple of the old school Lameindustries tutorials, what the internet is really about. Freedom of information!

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Hi Badfish

Was just wondering what you can tell me about securing a dongle that uses a mobile phone system. I connect using one of these and hence dont have a router to protect me. Any idea's? I got the usual antiv and fwall etc.

For People thinking about Passwords.
Back in the days when I had a router I used to visIt grc.com to test if my router was secure, think its called Shieldsup or something simmilar. Anyways I recently watched a vid by steve(grc.com) concerning passwords and was surprised at how easy it is to create a VERY secure password thats EASY to remember.

How about this for a password: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,ats
Its simple to remember, its just 13 commas followed by ats. I DONT SUGGEST ANYONE USE THIS PWORD.
Here's another ,,,,,a,,,,,t,,,,,s

The point Steve (grc) was making is its not the randomness of a pword thats important, its the length!!!

If your pword is not in a hackers list (yes they have lists of the most popular pwords, ask badfish
) then the hacker will have to try brute force. Brute force is the method of trying many pwords one after the other for eg:
a
b
c
etc
Because the hacker does not know how long your pword is he must start at the low end (from A) and work his way up.

So for a secure password make it long.

It would take a hacker using brute force many centurys to find P...............WORD simply because its so long yet as you can see its easy to remember.

edit on 25-2-2012 by VoidHawk because: spelling

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the comment, good password suggestion. My only thought is it wouldn't be fantastic for anyone watching your fingers. It's all about finding something that's right for you.

In regards to the cell phone situation... You should be fine with a good firewall. I tether to my phone when I'm on the road and just notice of my firewall settings. The only thing you lose not having a router is NAT which isn't the most secure thing in the world anyway.

I don't know enough about the tether applications to say for sure, but I suspect they make the phone act as a router of sorts. I can still receive and send texts and browse the internet on my phone while I'm tethered to the computer so it must mean there's some way to differentiate traffic streams. I don't think it's a feature verison willingly implemented so I'd be willing to bet the application itself is NATing in some way.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Can you please fix the link for the .pdf it is not working currently.

Thank you for this info, this was an amazingly concise and easily understandable.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject1145
Can you please fix the link for the .pdf it is not working currently.

Thank you for this info, this was an amazingly concise and easily understandable.

You may need send direct U2U to OP.

If OP isn't paying attention, it may be while before your comment is noticed.

Great thread BTW OP! S& F, and favorite'd

Methinks this should be sticky'd in the computer help forum.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
One day, I don't think that was too bad.

I can't change the link so I will have to create a new one, maybe the mods would be kind enough to edit it. For some reason, someone (site administration I assume) has changed the link to the PDF file to "http://www.%28nolink%29/?nr6ar189f2arka2". I searched for file restrictions on the forums, can't find any reason why an outside link to this material would be edited. If I had missed something and this for some reason breaks the CoC, please send me a message so I can see if there is a way to resolve the issue.

(tinyurl.com)/ATSCOMPBIBLE

Thanks for the kind words guys. Glad to be of service

EDIT: For some reason, ATS is blocking me from inserting any links. Everything changes to (noname)/directory. Really odd. You'll have to copy/paste the tinyurl. I have posted a thread in the site forum, if it turns out they're deliberately stopping me from inserting links I will gladly remove the workaround.

edit on 29-2-2012 by badfish420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Great advice. I have been having a problem in IE where every site works fine, except ATS. My IE window is promptly closed when I access this site.. ever so slightly suspicious
. Hopefully this should help!

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Excellent reference material.

Bookmarked.

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Would you have to encrypt you hard drive right after you do a clean install of the OS
Or how could encrypt you drive after a couple months making sure you are not leaving any cleartxt info on it?
Great work on this OP !!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join