It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A strange thing happened at the gas station today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DivineFem
reply to post by bknapple32

no prob. The only real heartache I got out of it was the fact that she WASN'T asking me because I look too young.

hahaha. i still get carded for ciggs, but never for alcohol. Very odd. I dont even drink anymore, but the couple times I bought some wine for my wife, I dont get carded. But every time I buy a pack of smokes for her, even at the same places, im always being carded. Im 27 btw

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You are all idiots if you cannot see what this means for YOU and YOUR FAMILY.

"If you're not doing anything wrong, what do you have to worry about?"
This has been the refrain from all the idiots every time tyranny has reared its ugly head. In fact, this is how it gets its toehold upon you.........
"

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Certain stores asked to see it here in Pa. Mostly to combat underage kids from getting alcohol or tobacco products.
The State does actually employ underage people to see if they can by products and fine the stores.
I have had my ID scanned at bars before over the years to make sure they are valid with how good fakes look.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
They do that here in Minnesota and have for some time. It's not consistent though from store to store so I'm not really sure the reason behind it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think it is the law, we were Christmas shopping at Target and my husband got a 12 pack of beer the lady asked for his ID he gave it to her and she scanned it, first time that has ever happened to us, usually they just ask for your DOB, when we buy cigarettes or alcohol.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Does anyone honestly think that anyone cares about underage smoking enough to make a law that you must scan ID's for every purchase?

I seriously doubt it. I am glad as hell I don't live in NY though and this is the first I heard of anything like it.

The democrats in NY are preparing the mark of the Beast. Mark my words.

Some day in NY you won't be able to buy sell or trade without it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
We have a program at work to scan in licenses. It just makes it a lot faster then having to enter addy manually. It only shows the info on the card. Just the pic, name and addy.

Makes it harder to use fake IDs I am sure.

Just like having to give a zip code for a credit card now to prevent theft.
edit on 27-1-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It's to protect the business from selling to underage people.

If you scan the license, you can't get busted.

The businesses don't want to be fined.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I work in the Point of Sale industry and I have seen this technology first hand. Every state uses a different encryption in the code on the back of the ids. Certain applications we use you have to contact a representative at the drivers license office to get the information to parse out the date of birth in the code. It can be a long and frustrating process proving to the state you are legit and are using the information for a legitimate purpose.

The system then allows the stores to scan the cards to provide a quicker way to verify that the id is real and prove the customer is the appropriate age. The system can make the cashier have to scan the id to be able to sell the item so it also prevents the cashier from making a mistake that can get the store and cashier fined if they don't check id's properly.

There are of software packages that can also pull name and address's out of the code to help put in the correct information in the system like at a health club or gym, or some application where the customer info is needed to set up an account. Prevents mistakes on the users side and speed up the process.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
With some place scanning DLs i would be worried about ID theft.

There are many places that don't really look at DLs closely they just do a quick look to check dates and address.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

This has been the refrain from all the idiots every time tyranny has reared its ugly head. In fact, this is how it gets its toehold upon you.........
"

Indeed... I'd imagine that one time in the deep past, in another language to be sure, people also once said 'If you're not Jewish, you have nothing to worry about'. Different times....different justifications for overkill of the state and government agencies, but damned if the early stages are looking disturbingly familiar to that past time.

If one looks at the days before anyone could really know how it was going to lead into world war.....well, there are some striking similarities.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DivineFem

No conspiracy there. If you've ever been down to Fredonia (I'm a Western New Yorker too) they scan your license at most bars now, to prevent underage drinking (college town and all). I've had my license scanned 3 times buying cigs in the past. I just buy from the reservation now. Don't look too much into it. They've been doing it for a few years.

-TS

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It's a new mandate. I work at a convenience store in IL and we received a notice about this last week. We are now required to check the ID of every person buying cigarettes that appears to be under 27. There are supposed to be stings to make sure stores are in compliance with the new requirements.
Quite frankly, I'm more than ready to get out of the business. The expectations and penalties put upon cashiers for this is getting out of control. We run a fast-paced business and we are not morons. We know our customers and card anyone we do not know who appears under-age. Under the new mandate, if we are caught not carding a customer who appears 27 or under, we can be fired and fined according to the law, even if we know said customer and are aware of their age. The way it is written, if my husband comes in and asks to purchase cigarettes, I have to card him, even though I know his age. If a "secret shopper" catches me not IDing, I can be punished.
I don't really believe it's about protecting the children anymore. I don't think it ever really was. I think it's about controlling the people and seeing how much we will take.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Just yesterday, I know a 19 year old kid working at a convenient store sold cigarettes to minor during sting operation. ID scanned so she sold the cigarettes. One minute later police come in told her she just sold cigarettes to a minor. Her boss was called to the store. 19 year old college student fired on the spot and issued 200 fine/ticket. Why are the cashiers still accountable. If scanning the ID is supposed to be confirm or deny. Why are the cashiers still accountable?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

"

A wee bit harsh don't you think? Especially when I've gmed a place that scanned ids. I can promise you they never got sent to the government.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It wont be long before New Yorkers will be required to have a special (and expensive) permit just to be allowed to take a nap during the day.

Nanny state gone wild.

edit on 20-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Usually that is only enforced as some gas stations

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maggie309
Just yesterday, I know a 19 year old kid working at a convenient store sold cigarettes to minor during sting operation. ID scanned so she sold the cigarettes. One minute later police come in told her she just sold cigarettes to a minor. Her boss was called to the store. 19 year old college student fired on the spot and issued 200 fine/ticket. Why are the cashiers still accountable. If scanning the ID is supposed to be confirm or deny. Why are the cashiers still accountable?

I'd like to know this too. If it scanned and came back okay the cashier can't have done anything different can they? Did they find out what is wrong with the scanner? Or could she have misinterpreted the results??

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join