It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Simplified/ The Mayan Calender is a countdown timer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

Well, the Long Count is just counting. The word is even right in its name. The Long Count is linear in the same way that we keep track of years. There is no built in reset point in our timekeeping system. In fact the Long Count served much the same purpose as us keeping track of years. A date was primarily composed of a haab date and a tzolkin date. This was called the Calendar Round. However, the Calendar Round repeated every 52 years so it couldn't be used to refer to events that happened in the past or were going to happen in the future. Thus, the Long Count was born. You can even break the units of the Long Count down into similar units of our own calendar.

k'in = days
winal = months
tun = years
katun = "decades"
baktun = "centuries"

When one consider the purpose of the Long Count and the way it was constructed, while comparing it to our own calendar system, it becomes quite apparent that it was a linear calendar.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by BBalazs

You can even break the units of the Long Count down into similar units of our own calendar.

k'in = days
winal = months
tun = years
katun = "decades"
baktun = "centuries"

When one consider the purpose of the Long Count and the way it was constructed, while comparing it to our own calendar system, it becomes quite apparent that it was a linear calendar.

1) that breakdown of the long count is exactly what i was referring to when I said that the cylces of Venus are found in the harmonics of the long count. the kin, winal, tun, katun, and baktun are effectively harmonic cycles that together make up the long counts. the long count calendar is like a carrier-wave that contains other calendar cycles within it (the harmonics).

2) Linear is really not the most accurate word to be using,,,,linear implies a 1 dimensional trajectory, and "lines" always have an end. the word you are meaning when you say linear is Serial. like a circuit in series..the calendar cycles occur in series from one to the other..

3) you're right about the solstice and equinoxes...the Gregorian calendar is totally bunk because the dates vary according to the changing lengths of seasons...BUT i would have to say that the Mayans worshipped the Galactic Center: Hunab Ku. winter solstice 2012 is the first day when the Sun dawns whilst conjuncting the Galactic center. although the Mayans didn't specifically recognize the solstices and seasons, it comes up in their calendar sometimes.

where'd you learn about the Mayan calendar? i've been trying to find some good sources to learn exactly how the different cycles meet and what celestial objects they were measuring.
edit on 1/27/12 by metalshredmetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Originally posted by metalshredmetal

Originally posted by govspy911
The Mayans had an event occurr, not sure what, but after it occurred they figured out that it would happen again, and again, and again. So when the calender reaches zero (0) in Dec 2010, the day after the event, we reset the calender to the beginning date and start the clock all over again. With each passing generation, they would get more accurate in predicting the exact date of the event. Unfortunatly, they never pinpointed the events actual date. You see, it can happen any time now, and "they" will not tell you even if "they" figured it out.

There is a quit little theory out there that this "Mayan" calender actually originated in Israel, and was once housed for protection inside the Ark of The Covenant. Google that and give me your thoughts.

like the other poster said, the Mayan calendar is a measurement of the movements of Venus.. astronomical cycles tend to be pretty "on time"...if you can figure out which astronomical phenomenon to watch, you'll know exactly when the "event" happens.

12/21/12 is probably the most famous day that was famous before it happened..

BTW, usually threads function to disseminate information, not simply say "google this then you'll know what i was too lazy to explain" kind of deal...show some effort and you'll get a lot better response, In my opinion.
edit on 1/26/12 by metalshredmetal because: (no reason given)

I'm not all that educated on the creation and story behind the Mayan calendar, but I do find it interesting that the theory was proposed that the arch of the covenant contained this calendar at one time,
was based on Venus,
and then what do you know, you have Jesus, who said he was the morning star,
and we all know that the morning star is venus
and then to claim that those behind the texts may have known a specific date or time
and the texts speak of jesus being born from a virgin mother
and Virgo is to be known as a virgin women
and in dec of 2012 venus aka jesus will appear to be born from the womb of the constellation virgo
and the dragon that is supposed to wait to consume the children from the virgin that is actually the planet....
and that there are cosmological markers that signal whatever is to come....
and....
and,

well you get the point, the darn thing is real, the texts are real, people have only destroyed the message through interpretations and ill intent, possibly

no way to know for certain, but good luck

on december 21, 2012 the Sun will be in constellation Sagittarius, or Ophicius if you want to be real western about it. the sun is in virgo around august 20 - sept 20.

i like where you [seem] to be going with that though...maybe the new "Son" will come from what appears to be Virgo. maybe the next "Son" will come in the form of a Woman....bout time women start getting more respect on this male dominated earth.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Actually there is no indication that the Maya placed any emphasis on the solstices or the equinoxes. In fact it would be quite impossible for them to accurately celebrate such dates.

Seems to me that the Mayans did put an emphasis on equinoxes. Take the Chichen Itza pyramid. I highly doubt the serpent that appears was just random luck while they were building it?
Serpent starts at 2:30 on video.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

Actually there is no indication that the Maya placed any emphasis on the solstices or the equinoxes. In fact it would be quite impossible for them to accurately celebrate such dates.

Seems to me that the Mayans did put an emphasis on equinoxes. Take the Chichen Itza pyramid. I highly doubt the serpent that appears was just random luck while they were building it?
Serpent starts at 2:30 on video.

i had just remembered this, you beat me to the punch!

the solstices and equinoxes were surely studied by the mayans, how they show up in their calendars is a different thing...they probably didn't like to include them because the seasons are always slightly changing lengths.

the reason we have "leap" years is to make our Gregorian Calendar line up with the changing seasons

the more and more i read about the Mayans, and our gregorian calendar, and the Lunar calendar, and the lunisolar calendar, the more i lose respect for our "modern" civilization.

we're spiritual infants,,,and it shows.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Yes, that was my point, maybe I didn't express myself too well.
The mayans thought is patterns of 3 or 5 thousand years, but when one eon based, time didn't end or reset, they just entered a new era.
That is my industrading.
If you still don't follow, think Y2k, Y2k, or moth of aquarius, pisces, etc.
It reallz doesn't make that much difference. It is largely symbolic. What is interesting is their accuracy and advanced astronomy imo.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

If you want more you can read this thread here. While is doesn't discuss the year 2012 specifically it does expound upon this theory.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's my understanding that the mayan calender is just a horoscope that goes on for a lot longer than the horoscopes that we read in the newspaper every day. Instead of transitioning every month, the transition period is much longer. And just like the horoscopes read in the paper, there is a prediction associated with each time frame.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
maya calender was made to make men argue. It had great insight to 2012 particularly with ATSers.
Maya Prophecy:
Men and women will gather in the days of 2012 and hash and rehash what others (crystal skull glows) naming Graham Hancock, made millions of things they call dollars. Funny thing (crystal skull glows again) Graham Hancock changes his position and calls for a paradigm shift of conciseness. This really flew over the Maya's heads but they stuck to it.

Funny thing though, as they smoked, drank and with glowing skull sessions the skulls never glowed for a 14th Baktun. This sent many men over time to the smoke shed. Some never came out.

the end
edit on 27-1-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

um, yes, it was a funny
edit on 27-1-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I can picture some astrologers / budding-advanced astronomers sitting on top of their mounds for viewing the universe thinking......HEY, here's an idea.....let's write down what we find for significant events in the universe and we can scare future generations that don't understand what we are trying to say.

As for the Mayan or Pre-Columbian calendar being in the Ark of the Covenant with Abram's seed. The scriptures only mention a jar of manna,the ten laws or commands and the high-priest Aaron's staff.

When you look at when Europe began exploring/colonizing the America's, the first major empire to be overthrown was the Aztec Empire.This happened in 1521 by Cortez and a bunch of hardy and strong virile natives who wanted to throw off the yoke.

A cycle began around at this time in the years 1517-1524. We had the very earliest pre-stages of the United States of America which is predominately a Protestant/Christian country today. It is also interesting to note the Protestant Reformation developed in these years.

So what you and I are seeing today is an ending of a nation and a cycle. It's an end of an order or a way of life that just does not work anymore. Just in the same way the medieval system didn't work for our healthy and vibrant medieval ancestors, so too the current order doesn't work anymore. The order that we are accustomed too has had plenty of time to develop but just like the medieval system it has come and gone.

This way will also come and go.

This is what the Pre-Columbian Calendar can show us.

Hope this will enlighten you and help you have understanding.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join