It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Simplified/ The Mayan Calender is a countdown timer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
The Mayans had an event occurr, not sure what, but after it occurred they figured out that it would happen again, and again, and again. So when the calender reaches zero (0) in Dec 2010, the day after the event, we reset the calender to the beginning date and start the clock all over again. With each passing generation, they would get more accurate in predicting the exact date of the event. Unfortunatly, they never pinpointed the events actual date. You see, it can happen any time now, and "they" will not tell you even if "they" figured it out.

There is a quit little theory out there that this "Mayan" calender actually originated in Israel, and was once housed for protection inside the Ark of The Covenant. Google that and give me your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by govspy911

I don't know if I am reading this wrong.

But your saying that the mayans did not have the date accurately.

If not the mayans predicted a full solar eclipse as the day of coming apocalypse in which the planet venus would be near the moon in sight. According to an interesting documentary at the planetarium I saw which also taught me one thing I did not know. BY watching the stars they actually were able to predict hurricanes. But I digress.

What You talking about Willis?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Theres just one thing youre forgetting... One Ring to rule them all... One Ring to find them.... One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by govspy911
The Mayans had an event occurr, not sure what, but after it occurred they figured out that it would happen again, and again, and again. So when the calender reaches zero (0) in Dec 2010, the day after the event, we reset the calender to the beginning date and start the clock all over again. With each passing generation, they would get more accurate in predicting the exact date of the event. Unfortunatly, they never pinpointed the events actual date. You see, it can happen any time now, and "they" will not tell you even if "they" figured it out.

There is a quit little theory out there that this "Mayan" calender actually originated in Israel, and was once housed for protection inside the Ark of The Covenant. Google that and give me your thoughts.

like the other poster said, the Mayan calendar is a measurement of the movements of Venus.. astronomical cycles tend to be pretty "on time"...if you can figure out which astronomical phenomenon to watch, you'll know exactly when the "event" happens.

12/21/12 is probably the most famous day that was famous before it happened..

BTW, usually threads function to disseminate information, not simply say "google this then you'll know what i was too lazy to explain" kind of deal...show some effort and you'll get a lot better response, In my opinion.
edit on 1/26/12 by metalshredmetal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Now that is a fascinating theory. Hmm... Like everyone, I've been spending my fair share of time running down various theories on 2012 and that is something a little new, but certainly as valid as anything else. It is definitely suggested in more than one way that a historical awareness with detail of times far beyond what we consider the start of "recorded history" now, did exist back in antiquity. It'd make some degree of sense in relation to this.

It also comes back to the same issue and same answer. If it's a predictor of an event to come on anything remotely like a predictable cycle over many thousands of years then it's two things. IF this is all true.

1. It's in space. Nothing else, anywhere else could possibly be predicated as a reliable event over thousands of years....particularly as a repeating event on those time tables. Continents move and entire civilizations rise and fall (sometimes quite literally into oceans
) in those time frames. So it MUST be space based, if it's real at all. Nothing else exists on those time scales. It simply doesn't. Period.

2. It must be BIG in effects and therefore, by any logic, should be foreseeable by this point in time, if it's based anywhere near this 2012 date as the Maya seem to have indicated....as well as others. They weren't the only ones that showed this date frame. The Great Pyramid is one indicator, but not the only one, that ancient Egypt also knew a thing or two about time, events and this period we're going into now. So.... BY NOW....It should be something technology CAN see and has BEEN seeing if it can be seen at our level of development at all.

That is always the most disturbing part of course. That whatever this is....if real......is something we can't even detect, yet it's right there and obvious if we knew how to look. It's not that far fetched. Think of all the leaps in knowledge for detection of things in the last hundred years...and what couldn't have been seen before them.

Time will tell and we'll all learn together, for better or worse.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
That was a very thoughful reply. I am gonna like you.
I really believe that if there is an event, which was so important to track, it has to be big. No event on Earth could be so accuratly predicted, it has to be cosmic, and this event probably spawned every religion we have ever seen.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

While the Maya did have a calendar based around the movements of Venus it does not appear to have been incorporated into the Long Count. The way the Long Count is broken up seems to suggest it was primarily based on the haab. This is why only 18 winals equal a tun when every other unit is made up of twenty of the preceding unity. 18 winals is equal to 360 days which is the same number found in the haab, minus the five unnamed days at the end of the year.

As for the the thread in general, the Long Count is not cyclical. While the Popol Vuh may make it seem this way any research done into Classic period examples of the Long Count and the construction of the calendar itself makes it quite apparent that it was a linear calendar.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Why does more and more information about 2012 relate to Halo so much...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

i'm too tired to research what exactly you're talking about...but i immediately have to beg to differ about the calendar being cyclic.

the entire calendar is based upon cycles. they have cycles of 20 days length, 100s days lengths, and 1000s days lengths...it's WAY too much of a stretch to assume that the calendar STOPS (linear) on some arbitrary date, based on no evidence to support the ENDING of a cyclical calendar.

and i'm pretty sure the venus cycles are included in the long count...the different cycles (i.e. long count, short count) overlap and form harmonics. i'm pretty sure the harmonics of the long count contain the cycles of the venus information talked about already...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
My Point is that it is a countdown,and the Mayans had the date right, they were THERE. It uses stars and other celestial events to count backwards. It is truly a phenomenal feat. The beginning date is spot on but the actual end date may be off. The event could occurr a few days before, or a few days after, it just depends on how many times they went through the event, in order to pinpoint it for future generations.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
Why does more and more information about 2012 relate to Halo so much...

because Halo relates more and more to "2012".

2012 is a meme. a meme is an idea that acts like a gene. the 2012 meme has grown in popularity, so therefore the world reflects the ideas contained in it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

It is not intended to end. As the name suggests it is merely a count of days. It was used in much the same way we keep track of years. Even if it were a cyclical calendar there is no indication that it repeats after 1 baktun. In fact we have numerous examples of the Long Count that extend past the 14th baktun. In fact we have examples that extend several magnitudes past baktuns. So, if the Long Count is cyclical the Maya certainly left no indication of the fact.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The mayans did say that the creation date which represents 13 or 0 was the winter solstice thats a given. They gave another date for the apocalypse though and it had more to do with Venus and the solar eclipse.

I have all the dates marked here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by metalshredmetal

Originally posted by govspy911

like the other poster said, the Mayan calendar is a measurement of the movements of Venus.. astronomical cycles tend to be pretty "on time"...if you can figure out which astronomical phenomenon to watch, you'll know exactly when the "event" happens.

12/21/12 is probably the most famous day that was famous before it happened..

BTW, usually threads function to disseminate information, not simply say "google this then you'll know what i was too lazy to explain" kind of deal...show some effort and you'll get a lot better response, In my opinion.
edit on 1/26/12 by metalshredmetal because: (no reason given)

I'm not all that educated on the creation and story behind the Mayan calendar, but I do find it interesting that the theory was proposed that the arch of the covenant contained this calendar at one time,
was based on Venus,
and then what do you know, you have Jesus, who said he was the morning star,
and we all know that the morning star is venus
and then to claim that those behind the texts may have known a specific date or time
and the texts speak of jesus being born from a virgin mother
and Virgo is to be known as a virgin women
and in dec of 2012 venus aka jesus will appear to be born from the womb of the constellation virgo
and the dragon that is supposed to wait to consume the children from the virgin that is actually the planet....
and that there are cosmological markers that signal whatever is to come....
and....
and,

well you get the point, the darn thing is real, the texts are real, people have only destroyed the message through interpretations and ill intent, possibly

no way to know for certain, but good luck

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

The virgin mother earth could be earth giving birth to the core of the earth. Which could become the moon. And the earth could fall in the place of Venus, the morning star. The morning star could be giving way to passing, the planet mars to become the new earth.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

The virgin mother earth could be earth giving birth to the core of the earth. Which could become the moon. And the earth could fall in the place of Venus, the morning star. The morning star could be giving way to passing, the planet mars to become the new earth.

interesting... lol, I wish I had more to say about it than that, but that's it lol

I take that back, check out "Comet Venus"
www.youtube.com...

I'm still kinda new to this idea, so I can't truly form an opinion on if it has any truth to it or not, but is def. something I will be checking out...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

You may be right there. The solar system may be like an assembly line for planets that can support life. As they move in towards the sun so to speak. If Earth gets close enough, the water will evaporate and then condense on Mars when it moves into place, thus becoming the New Earth.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I was late in editing my post. I wrote 2010 in the opening but I meant 2012. You all seemed to figure it out though.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
the mayan calendar is cycical, you cannot have non cyclical calendars, thats just called counting.
although I do realize where many people may have misunderstood.
so in a way there is a linear progression, but also a cyclical one.
anyway, that is not what is important.
people, you do realize that the mayans were pretty much a TIME CULT.
they worshiped TIME, and from their worship and observations, and attached meaning, pretty much self destrcuted based on their prophecies.
now this year, nothing will happen, we will enter a new epoch.
what is interesting is how accurate the mayan calendar was. more accurate then our current calender.
edit on 27-1-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Actually there is no indication that the Maya placed any emphasis on the solstices or the equinoxes. In fact it would be quite impossible for them to accurately celebrate such dates. The Mayan solar calendar was only 365 days long, so every four years the days of calendar were off by a day. We also know that your claim regarding the Mayan creation date falling on the winter solstice is wrong by simply looking at the calendar. In order for the "end" of the Long Count to fall on December 21, 2012 we have to use the GMT correlation. The GMT correlation places the start of the Long Count on August 11, 3114 BC.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join