It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Bans Whole Milk in Schools. Rolls Out Major School Lunch Reforms.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

USDA Bans Whole Milk in Schools. Rolls Out Major School Lunch Reforms.

shine.yahoo.com

Whole milk just got expelled from school. White bread is up for suspension.

On Wednesday, the healthy school lunch movement earned a $3.2 billion dollar raise, and with it a new set of mandates for cafeterias nationwide. The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced a federally funded, five-year plan to improve cafeteria food and reduce childhood obesity.

The new guidelines, impacting about 32 American million kids, will guarantee more fruits, veggies and whole grains on the lunch table.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.jamieoliver.com

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
While I'll agree that there's an obesity problem in America, I don't think banning whole milk from children is a smart thing. This is just another example of a government agency crying "It's for the children" and overstepping their bounds.

I was raised on whole milk during my childhood, between myself and my dad we would often consume 2 or 3 gallons of milk per week. I am now in my 40's and am not obese nor do I have high cholesterol, diabetes or any other disease or affliction.

Whole milk is an important source of calcium, vitamins A and D and also contains fat that is essential for healthy brain and tissue development.

If the USDA really wanted to get kids to eat healthier they might want to watch Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution" and take a few tips from him. Get rid of the processed, microwaved, preservative laden crap that school lunches now consist of and start feeding them real food!

shine.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
The primary intent of Jamie Oliver's campaign has been to ban the "flavoured" milk. WHilst this was on the menu, almost every kid goes for the Chocolate and strawberry ones. These contain vast quantities of sugar and were actually MANDATORY.

The problem is not the bannign of the whole milk ut the fact that school meals are so controlled, and in many cases, spuriously promoting "getting good vitamins into kids" when they do so by feeding kids tons of crap along with it with the intent of helping fast food industry to train kids to eat junk.

Frankly, it would be better to scrap virtually all the school meal requirements rather than amending a broken, red-tape system.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Banning whole milk or white bread is not really the way to go about it. It's not the saturated fat and stuff like that which is causing the problem; it's the sugar.

It's that there is an ungodly amount of sugar in everything that is food in the U.S. And not the normal sugar, it's the way overuse of simple sugars that's doing it.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Excellent point. Fat is necessary for a variety of bodily functions, and keeping our skin and hair shiny and healthy. Fat provides satiety value for a meal so that one isn't hungry an hour after eating (which is the problem with Chinese food...as much as I like it, I get hungry too soon afterwards).

Sugar creates inflammation and spikes the blood sugar, then drops it like a rock. Sugar causes rapid weight gain, insulin resistance, and is implicated in the more rapid growth of cancer, as tumors prefer sugar and will grow faster in people with diets high in sugar.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Banning whole milk or white bread is not really the way to go about it. It's not the saturated fat and stuff like that which is causing the problem; it's the sugar.

It's that there is an ungodly amount of sugar in everything that is food in the U.S. And not the normal sugar, it's the way overuse of simple sugars that's doing it.

White bread is trash. there is a reason the old saying goes "the whiter the bread the quicker you'll be dead". No one should be eating it.

As for school lunch, it's garbage. I work in a school lunch room (for one more day then I'm free). It's just pure trash. It's 90% starch, no wonder these kids are fat. Their insulin response never get's a break. Everything is breaded or covered in a sugary sauce. Pure crap, pack a lunch and send it off with your kid. Lay off the starch people.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Kids aren't getting fat off school lunches, kids are getting fat off what their fat parents feed them at home.....how could everyone on earth not understand that?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
Kids aren't getting fat off school lunches, kids are getting fat off what their fat parents feed them at home.....how could everyone on earth not understand that?

It's part of it, but trust me-You ain't seen these lunches. A lot of these kids eat at school twice a day. Just for your information-The lunch itself is about 700 calories all together. That is far too much for a kid. Breakfast is about 500. That is 1200 before they even leave the building. Not to mention acess to soda. Their insulin response never stops. No wonder they are fat and diabetes runs rampant. That's what happens when your insulin never goes down.

Too many grains, too much dairy not enough plants.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Do parents have a choice here ?

This is more Obama campaigning at taxpayer expense

I'll bet kids can get better from the "food" pushers a block away from all the schools !!

How do I know these intellectuals are on the level with this ?

What if there is corruption payoffs from vendors ?

Thanks But No Thanks !!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

ids won't eat the vegitables so they are really just giving them less food to eat.

great idea.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It has nothing to do with Obama. I swear, some of you have obama tourettes. When you stub your toes do you blame him? This happens EVERY YEAR. It's heavily pushed by food manufacturers, most of whom are just dying to cash in on captive kids. Like i said, don't like it-Pack a lunch, but most parents can't be bothered to care anyway.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ballisticmousse

Granted, while Jamie targeted flavored milk in a few episodes I think he took a bottom up approach to trying to get the kids to eat healthy. Using whole grain pasta and real cheese when making mac and cheese, using fresh romaine lettuce in the salads instead of iceberg lettuce, using real chicken breasts instead of mechanically separated chicken nuggets, etc.

When it comes to kids obesity problems, their diet is only part of it, Most kids now rarely play outdoors and instead choose to sit in front of a TV being programmed or playing video games. Those that do go outside are too busy updating their Facebook status or texting their friends to run or play any calorie burning games.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Give me 3.2 billion dollar's ill feed everyone in America.
and have leftover money and food.

Me.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
How about instead of mandating, they ask the school systems to provide healthier meals and then the parents in the communities can take it from there. We don't need big brother getting even bigger. The families that are served by the schools can hold them accountable if they chose to do so.

I think the youth obesity problem has more to do with a lack of activity.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by xuenchen

It has nothing to do with Obama. I swear, some of you have obama tourettes. When you stub your toes do you blame him? This happens EVERY YEAR. It's heavily pushed by food manufacturers, most of whom are just dying to cash in on captive kids. Like i said, don't like it-Pack a lunch, but most parents can't be bothered to care anyway.

Yah, but he could stop it.

Not have Michelle endorse it.

Too much money for the institutions for my money.

I think most parents can Pack-a-Lunch and most do care.

The majority of American families are successful.

The Libs want you to think otherwise.

And from hearing a few of Obama's speeches lately, I would say HE has "tourettes"

edit on Jan-26-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
My wife is more particular about what our kids eat and drink. She feels milk had something todo with our oldiest son having Type 1 D's. On the flip side my 2 year old can't consume wheat without breaking out in a rash. We've even moved him to skim milk.

sorry I got distracted...

I don't care what type of milk they put in school. It's not the same place or enviroment as it was when we went to school. What would upset me is if they said my kid had to drink the milk everyday.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by survivalstation

While I'll agree that there's an obesity problem in America, I don't think banning whole milk from children is a smart thing. This is just another example of a government agency crying "It's for the children" and overstepping their bounds.

I was raised on whole milk during my childhood, between myself and my dad we would often consume 2 or 3 gallons of milk per week. I am now in my 40's and am not obese nor do I have high cholesterol, diabetes or any other disease or affliction.

Whole milk is an important source of calcium, vitamins A and D and also contains fat that is essential for healthy brain and tissue development.

If the USDA really wanted to get kids to eat healthier they might want to watch Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution" and take a few tips from him. Get rid of the processed, microwaved, preservative laden crap that school lunches now consist of and start feeding them real food!

shine.yahoo.com

I whole-heartedly agree!

Grew up on whole milk, still drink a two large glasses a day (once in the morning, once at night). Not only for the taste and texture, but because it's the natural way of getting the vitamins and nutrients your body needs. Other types of milk (2%, skim, etc) have to have supplements added to them to get the same values, and scarily enough, the vitamin A supplement inside 2% milk has been linked to prostate cancer.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Discouraging the use of white bread in schools is just fine by me.

But whole milk (the closest thing to real, straight-from-the-cow milk that many of these kids will ever experience) is being banned from schools, while soggy lasagna made from GMOs and old meat scraps found on the floor is still served at lunch time?

Verkehrte Welt, meine Herrschaften. Verkehrte Welt.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This probably has to do more with making money then helping children. I remember when i was in 7th grade the USDA changed the menu. We used to get pizza delivered, name brand chips candy and soda. After they changed it we still had junk food, burgers, pizza, chile fries, fried chicken tenders ect.... I noticed all the food was coming from one company. I forgot the name of that company, I am sure one of you guys know it, its something like soya. Does this menu look healthy?
www.houstonisd.org...&%20Menus/secondary%20lunch/Middle%20School%20Lunch%20Menu%201.2-13.pdf

All the fruits wear canned and most the time you could only get fruit mixed with jello. The food was frozen before it was cooked. I under stand that they have to buy tons of food and make it a reasonable price but I fell it could have been better. Every time I ate in the school cafeteria I would fell sleepy and lose focus. I had to rearrange my school scheduled so that I did not have a hard class after lunch. If they really cared then our schools would be filled with fresh organic food. Im sure they could afford it if they had only 2 or 3 different options a day and if our Goverment spent as much money on school as they do on war.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

ids won't eat the vegitables so they are really just giving them less food to eat.

great idea.

B.S. the biggest line at my school is the taco bowl and burrito line. They have pizza and all kinds of fried foods but the healthiest line is the longest. You just have to cook the food right. If it taste good it will be eaten.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join