It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Instrumental Works

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Another classic from the 50's. This isn't the original Santo & Johnny version, but it's a very good extended version, and includes some cool imagery.

Sleepwalk.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
How about, "The Happy Organ"? No double entendres from the peanut gallery.

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Okay, a little more contemporary. Traffic's "Glad" from the John Barleycorn Must Die album-

Sometimes it's hard to remember there was a time when bands actually had some really awesome musicians in them. Steve Winwood was always one, and his work with Traffic still stands up.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Nice

That Jeff Beck Bolero conjured up an old memory of a '60s band from Ann Arbor Michigan called SRC. They covered that on their Milestones album (which I still have in a box somewhere). Their version transitions out of a rock version of In The Hall of the Mountain King. Like a lot of albums from that era, "made loud to be played loud".

Ironically SRC was much more popular in the UK than they ever were here in the states.

Damn, I sound like Casey Kasem.

And now... a long distance dedication to myself with two tunes from the much under appreciated Ramsey Lewis. The first, "In Crowd" sounds a lot like Traffic's "Glad" and in fact the first time I heard "Glad" I thought of Ramsey and "In Crowd". The second is Ramsey's version of the classic War song, "Slippin' Into Darkness". Sheer awesomeness. It doesn't get any better than Ramsey Lewis. We're not worthy.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Checked out SRC and i can diggit

Thanks for the additions to this thread yeahright. I am somewhat adrift for now and only able to check in periodically. I miss me ATS.
Casey Kasem eh? Oh yea, an iconic voice and source of tunes in my young life. Man we are old, no? Or should I say 'aged' like fine wine

A little sample with some perspective.

Peace
ETA: really like the Slipping Into Darkness cut.

One more:

edit on 24-10-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Too obvious maybe, but it can't be omitted from any list of favorite instrumentals. At least, if I'm making it. It would be like leaving Silent Night off the list of best Christmas carols.

Green Onions.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
One you'll recognize from many commercials and movie soundtracks, from the King of the Surf Guitar, Dick Dale. Misirlou.

edit on 10/30/2012 by yeahright because: Typo

posted on Oct, 31 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Any Virgil Fox fans?
Here's a good one for today, Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Halloweenish. No visuals, so close your eyes and soak in the atmosphere of this one.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Anybody remember "quadrophonic sound"?

Bill Chase made a quadrophonic album that, when listened to on the four required speakers for quad sound, would literally make you dizzy. This guy could flat play a trumpet. Died way too young, in a plane crash. "Open Up Wide" a great tune.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Chopin Prelude in E minor Opus 28 number 4

betcha didn't see that coming!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

WOW! That totally blindsided me. I was expecting Chopin Prelude in E minor Opus 28 number 3

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
reply to post by beezzer

WOW! That totally blindsided me. I was expecting Chopin Prelude in E minor Opus 28 number 3

I know, right?

I like to mix things up a little from time to time.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
made it just in time to post the best instrumental ever ...

Metallica - Orion

EDIT: Ah, someone already saved the thread with an Orion post, whew ... Well, enjoy the updated video

Oh, my seven month old is named ... Orion too

edit on 2-11-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Vince Guaraldi, maybe best known for his instrumental work on the Charlie Brown/Peanuts cartoons, here with one of his best, Cast your Fate to the Wind. Very evocative for me, which all my favorite instrumentals are.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Malaguena. Maybe not the most technically proficient or classic version, but one I happen to like.

And a more traditional version:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Too many to name/post!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The original 1960 version of Apache by The Shadows. Covered by many and The Ventures have a great version. I still like the original best.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Cool, had not heard that one, love the surfer sound guitar. A friend turned me onto a website and I thought this session was incredible!! The site is TRI studios link
And the song is Evolve by GEORGE PAJON EVOLVING FEAT. GEORGE PAJON JR., PANCHO TOMASELLI, CHAUN HORTON .

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I like that. I was waiting for it to morph into Black Magic Woman

Here's one of my alltime favorites. At least a portion of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join