It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Colorado network administrators present?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Because I need an internship.

On a serious note, has anybody tried to break into networking in the past year? This is intense. How is one supposed to start from the bottom when every job requires minimum 2 years experience? A friend recently acquired a job in networking after a year and a half looking - only because he lied on his resume and said he had experience. Since he worked extensively with a home lab they haven't yet found him out.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by badfish420

Do you have experience?

If you do, find a way to present it on your resume.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The experience I have is well presented, the problem is they're primarily short term, small network, "consultant" gigs. Starting from the ground floor is pretty difficult - no one wants to let you loose on a production environment without at least a few years experience.

Oh well, I'll just finish the CCNP and try again. I was just curious if anyone else has had issues breaking into networking.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by badfish420

I'm not a NetAdmin, but I am a senior software developer working in the business for the past 15 years and I used to live in Colorado Springs. It is not easy to get your foot in the door these days. Certifications may help if you are trying to break in. Cisco Academy, Microsoft Certified Professional, A+, etc. You will not start at a high level, you will have to get in as a junior and work your way up. Your best bet may be to find a work-study program or internship. That will help you get some experience and contacts that can help you. Sometimes you can get into a job that way, since you will have already had some training. I did my internship at Schlage Lock, in Colo Spgs. It was unpaid but great experience and I got college credit. I think that is probably what helped me get my first IT job, which was at Colo Spgs Utilities as a junior programmer. Keep trying and apply everywhere! Treat the job of finding a job as if that was your job. Talk to the pimps at the temp agencies. Use your friend and anybody else you know in IT as resources to give you tips about opportunities and help recommend you. Once you do get in, find someone you respect and learn everything you can from them! You'll probably start to move up in about 3 years, if this is right for you. If not, you'll figure that out pretty quickly. Good luck!

new topics

top topics

join