It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If required by law, Twitter says now ready to censor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

If required by law, Twitter says now ready to censor

www.cbsnews.com

Twitter now says it has the technological ability to censor individual tweets or accounts in different countries.

It hasn't yet pulled the trigger but the company said in a post Thursday that it will be able to remove content under the laws of another country. Those posts would still be viewable to Twitter users outside of those countries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
A lot of the news coming out of certain areas is first heard from Twitter so this may lead to a lot less real time updates from a lot of countries. I remember hearing a lot of breaking news from the Arab Spring on Twitter.

If Obama, Mahmoud, Putin or any other leader didn't want certain things to get tweeted they could simply contact Twitter and request certain tweets to get censored.

I know Twitter is a free service and we need to follow their "terms and conditions" but this could have a much larger impact than anyone may think.

Who needs SOPA when we have these social networking sites bowing down to every command coming from the world censorship committee.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
that's ironic. since i censored twitter years ago by never opening an account.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This isn't anything new.

I've been censored on twitter now for nearly a year. It appears that the government/twitter don't like support for wikileaks.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
A lot of the news coming out of certain areas is first heard from Twitter

What is this "Twitter"? And is it important? Never really heard much about it...

ETA Ah googled it I think I get it now

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Let's just hope that ATS doesn't bow down to these fascists.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I don't understand this, at first its stance was that it would not be censored and now it says they will. To be fair, all other major websites (like Facebook) are censoring or getting there, this is just the latest to join the list.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Do you mind if I ask what country you're in?

I'm guessing somewhere in the UK or the United States.

I opened a Twitter account late last year to follow the news on a certain story that was unfolding but I haven't logged on since. There are other ways to get news out but it's very convenient for people who have nothing but a mobile phone. A lot of the important news that has been discussed on ATS was first heard on Twitter.

The article says they haven't implemented this practice yet, but as you said, they have already censored you with or without legal advice from your government.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Do you mind if I ask what country you're in?

I'm guessing somewhere in the UK or the United States.

Australia

I opened a Twitter account late last year to follow the news on a certain story that was unfolding but I haven't logged on since. There are other ways to get news out but it's very convenient for people who have nothing but a mobile phone. A lot of the important news that has been discussed on ATS was first heard on Twitter.

The article says they haven't implemented this practice yet, but as you said, they have already censored you with or without legal advice from your government.

I think the crunch here is the fact that twitter have covered this in their eula. As a private company they can restrict/refuse service to anyone the deem "trouble".

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I take the same approach to Twitter as I do Facebook.

If I wanted you to know what I think or what I am doing, I will call to tell you. Otherwise it's none of your business and you can keep your Tweets/updates/status bullcrap!

I do not use either one! If they censor it, I am sure more people will do the same.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Twitter, facebook or whatevery is out there can do whatever they want with their site, I don't have accounts with any of those social media site and I will never will, actually I don't have any search engines in my computer including Google, I bought my own searching engine so I don't have to sign with any sites at all.

Out of site out of mind.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
MY RESPONSE TO THIS STORY!

All scanner feeds are online for the USA, will be adding other countries as well!

YouTube Intro Video

--- U.S. Scancast Links ---

U.S. Scancast Nationwide Scanner Network
Live Nationwide Scanner Audio And Chat 24/7
Scancast.webs.com...

U.S. Scancast On Facebook (Friend Page)
Add U.S. Scancast For Updates And Breaking Alerts
facebook.com...

U.S. Scancast On Facebook (Group Page)
Open Topic - Everyone Welcome To Post
Also Repeats The Twitter Feed Below
facebook.com...

Follow U.S. Scancast On Twitter
For Scancast Updates And Breaking Alerts
twitter.com...

I built this network for the coming years, this is in NO WAY meant to aid in any crime! But can be used for entertainment and information on what is going on around the country.

If it is to be used for monitoring the police state lock down in America then SO BE IT!

BUT I STRESS AGAIN, IT IS NOT TO BE USED TO AID IN ANY CRIME!

Please pass it around if you like the site, live chats are open to everyone just please keep chat civil.

Feel free to post links as well.

Enjoy guys!

DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaKaElectric
MY RESPONSE TO THIS STORY!

All scanner feeds are online for the USA, will be adding other countries as well!

--- U.S. Scancast Links ---

U.S. Scancast Nationwide Scanner Network
Live Nationwide Scanner Audio And Chat 24/7
Scancast.webs.com...

I built this network for the coming years, this is in NO WAY meant to aid in any crime! But can be used for entertainment and information on what is going on around the country.

Kudos
This deserves its own thread!!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I do not have the time but a good post about the reasons behind the censorship capability should be created linking it to the recent acquisition by Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Twitter + Saudi Arabia: It’s not easy being a media entity and other moves by other despotic nations for instance Angola, the list would also include the USA and even Russia all these nations are actively working to control (and remain in control of) media channels. Even the Morlock Empire, herr.., Rupert Murdoch Empire, sorry, should be mentioned as why there was so much bad political feeling against the troglodyte cannibalistic race, herr..., sorry again, troglodyte cannibalistic corporation and how it acted before being taken down by TPTB.
edit on 30-1-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join