It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Here was a pretty thought provoking article I found while discussing this with a close friend of mine (who is what I'd call "raging Liberal" .. after a few minutes I told him "man .. you are #ing dumb" he said "No! You're the dumb one!" Surely we can't both be idiots. Actually we could. Besides the point, we found this:

Bruce G. Charlton, Professor of Theoretical Medicine at the University of Buckingham and Editor in Chief of Medical Hypotheses, may have an explanation. In his editorial in the December 2009 issue of Medical Hypotheses, Charlton suggests that liberals and other intelligent people may be “clever sillies,” who incorrectly apply abstract logical reasoning to social and interpersonal domains. As I explain in an earlier post, general intelligence – the ability to think and reason – likely evolved as a domain-specific evolved psychological mechanism to solve evolutionarily novel problems, whereas, for all evolutionarily familiar problems, there are other dedicated evolved psychological mechanisms.

Everyone – intelligent or not – is evolutionarily equipped with the ability to solve such evolutionarily familiar problems in the social and interpersonal domains as mating, parenting, social exchange, and personal relationships, with the other evolved psychological mechanisms. Charlton suggests that the totality of all the other evolved psychological mechanisms (except for general intelligence) represents what we normally call “common sense.” Everyone has common sense.

Intelligent people, however, have a tendency to overapply their analytical and logical reasoning abilities derived from their general intelligence incorrectly to such evolutionarily familiar domains and as a result get things wrong. In other words, liberals and other intelligent people lack common sense, because their general intelligence overrides it. They think in situations where they are supposed to feel. In evolutionarily familiar domains such as interpersonal relationships, feeling usually leads to correct solutions whereas thinking does not.

Which imo explains perfectly why Liberals suck so hard at economics above all else. Economics is based entirely off of logic and common sense scenarios, as well as the cause and effect of personal action within a system not confined to the accurate science of math, which many think it is, in reality it's a philosophy.

Fascinating study, albeit off topic, showing that on average the more "liberal" you are the less likely you are to understand economics:
online.wsj.com...

"Intelligence" is also the ability to learn, not what you actually know, which is knowledge. I can have an equal intelligence as another person and be knowledgeable in two very different areas .. we'd both sound like blubbering morons to each other, but only because each of us would not be as informed as the other on a specific topic. One thing that divides Liberals and Conservatives is the placement of value on certain topics. So when we discuss a topic we pull from our own base of knowledge and come to a conclusion, also factoring in our social norms and morals to influence the decision we ultimately come to. If you hold no regard for the base of my reasoning it's very easy to simply say "damn that dudes stupid!" but in reality I'm not.

Also as I said before Republicans do have more degree holders (even though over 75% of professors identify as Liberal)

Education. Self-identified Republicans are significantly more likely than Democrats to have 4-year college degrees. The trends for the years 1955 through 2004 are shown by gender in the graphs below, reproduced from a book published by Joseph Fried.[78] These graphs depict results obtained by Fried from the National Election Studies (NES) database.

Regarding graduate-level degrees (masters or doctorate), there is a rough parity between Democrats and Republicans. According to the Gallup Organization: "[B]oth Democrats and Republicans have equal numbers of Americans at the upper end of the educational spectrum — that is, with post graduate degrees..."[78] Fried provides a slightly more detailed analysis, noting that Republican men are more likely than Democratic men to have advanced degrees, but Democratic women are now more likely than Republican women to have advanced degrees.[79]

Republicans remain a small minority of college professors, with 11% of full-time faculty identifying as Republican.

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't personally view Liberals or Conservatives to have any different level of intelligence.. I view it as simply the circumstances you utilize to come to a conclusion. A myriad of possibilities, thoughts, beliefs and experiences culminating in your position in something.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Oh.

Since we be in the science trolling mood, does this then correlate that racial groups that test as lower IQ then need more structure and tend to be more racist?

And .... KAAA-BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

sure, it does imply(not correlate) that.
And every member of those "racial groups that test as lower IQ" have told me that they are racist. Yes, there are races that are more racist than white people, not many races mind you, but they do exist.

Let's all remember that people that are of lower IQ than you are just as human as you are, and people of a different race are just as human as you are as well.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Fact: The Republican Party has twice as many degree holders as the Democratic Party.

A degree is not a factor of intelligence. It's a factor of either perseverance or sheeping

Originally posted by Ghost375
Let's all remember that people that are of lower IQ than you are just as human as you are

Probably even more so.

I kinda have to agree that intelligence and prejudice might have connection. Being socially conservative, that I don't know...

Sadly for all you smart conservatives out there, but most conservatives I have met in my life are either rich, stupid or both at the same time. Usually too stupid to notice what is around them, but boy do they know what they need. Best of all, they don't really care about what others need because, hey, they can get also get it themselves if they really want. Totally oblivious that others might not start on the same level, it's not their problem anyway.

I wish I could see life like that, it seems less complicated then thinking about everyone's happiness at the same time.
edit on 27-1-2012 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Reply to post by rubbertramp

Social conservatives should worry more about the economy, jobs and world affairs.

They should stop obsessing over abortion and gay rights.

If they miss the 1950s so much, build a #ing time machine and get lost!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I wonder, do you who are on the Far Left even understand that you are exhibiting extreme bigotry yourselves by spewing lies and venom about people who's views you don't agree with? Do you also know your showing a low intellect in that you have to stoop to such tactics to communicate your point of view?

Then several paragraphs later:

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I'll let them get back to discussing their hero's Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin and all the rest. Perhaps they can hold a meeting on top of the tens of millions of graves their hero's filled with those who dared to not agree with them.

A perfect example of how we are often actually seeing ourselves when we think we see others...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Racism is more along the lines of racial recognition of ones own kind.Nothing wrong with it.

Liberals tend to be the worst ones though when it comes to IQ and overall intelligence.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Why do you have to try and make up pathetic excuses?
Intelligence and progress in schools or colleges is based on race.Intelligence is in the genes,hence why no matter how hard they try to improve people under the right conditions,no improvement is made(if there is an improvement,its a minor one and not even worth mentioning).Fact.

Asians do better then anyone else because they are Asian.They have bigger brains and their IQs tend to be the highest of any race.
I hate how people think that race is just skin colour when in fact there are so many differences that its an important matter to discuss.......unless you like thinking that 'we are all one' or that 'race doesn't exist' and all that cr*p?

As for IQ,it does measure intelligence to some degree.Those who are always at the bottom of the IQ list are those who live and behave differently to those at the top of the list and remember,its based on race.
edit on 27/1/12 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I would say that it may be more about dumber kids gravitating towards prejudice and being unwaveringly clingy to the rules, and it is simply that there are certain common conservative values that allow them to hide this behind some sort of ideology.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

This makes complete sense. The dumber you are, the less likely you are going to be able to think critically and realize truths and the more likely you are going to be to just accept what you are told without question.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Conservatives, by definition, reject progress be it scientific, social or moral. Conservatives are ruled by fear, tend to be tribal and xenophobic. The lower IQ thing makes perfect sense. Good post, op.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

How does that explain Obama?

I love these studies. "Scientists Prove That Republicans are Dumber Than Democrats!" "Democrats, Long Believed A Separate Life Form, Now Found to be Human!" Ridiculousness favors no IQ.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
reply to post by spacekc929

Why do you have to try and make up pathetic excuses?
Intelligence and progress in schools or colleges is based on race.Intelligence is in the genes,hence why no matter how hard they try to improve people under the right conditions,no improvement is made(if there is an improvement,its a minor one and not even worth mentioning).Fact.

Asians do better then anyone else because they are Asian.They have bigger brains and their IQs tend to be the highest of any race.
I hate how people think that race is just skin colour when in fact there are so many differences that its an important matter to discuss.......unless you like thinking that 'we are all one' or that 'race doesn't exist' and all that cr*p?

As for IQ,it does measure intelligence to some degree.Those who are always at the bottom of the IQ list are those who live and behave differently to those at the top of the list and remember,its based on race.
edit on 27/1/12 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

Asians do better because their culture has groomed them from birth to be more focused and disciplined. Do you really believe what you type?

/TOA

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

That is not necessarily true. If you take children that are adopted by people from a different race, for example and Asian Child is adopted by Whites, the Asian child will score consistently with that of other Asians. If A Black Child is adopted by Asians the Black Child will score consistently with other Blacks. Now, you would have to be severely dumb to say that genetics doesn't play a role in such instances. This has been proven over and over again. The internet is a very big place with a ton of information if you take the time to actually look things up, which I strongly suggest you do, that way you don't bring a knife into a gunfight.

Think of this, many predominately black and latino schools score low on their tests, now we have states that move white and Asian children into these schools to bring up the test scores. And vice versa, to lower scores So now they can't say that the all white schools score significantly higher than the black schools, they've tried to level the playing field.

I believe that political affilition plays no bearing on IQ. It's just that the majority of the lower Iq People will tend to side with the entity that best suits them. And for good reason, I want a group that advocates my interests.
edit on 27-1-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp

seems to me, the important part of this study is quite simple.
those leaning towards conservative views are more 'sheeple' than others.

'"Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order," Hodson said, explaining why these beliefs might draw those with low intelligence. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice."

in a way, i've always known this. i wish more would take it issue by issue and stop toting the party line, no matter which party.

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Uh hello.....Is it possible you missed the point of the OP?

It clearly DOES MATTER which party. I think this is what they are trying to say. There might be a choice for thinking people among the remainder of parties but the "conservatives" are likely to be a pack of half thinkers all rolled into a glob.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Of course they are sheeple! They lord is their shepherd. They continually live by the bible and know what's best for everyone. They question all progressive actions, yet never question their own indoctrinated beliefs. They bash abortion, yet frequently join the military or support the war machine and the 'war on terror'.
Hypocritically love the bible yet never want to support programs which help people eat or pay bills during unemployment.
I don't have a problem with religion per se, but I find the conservatives in this country are mucfh more often than not the exact opposite of what a good Christian is supposed to be. In reality, they are selfish individuals who love money more than anything and use the guise of personal responsibility and Jesus to mask their only true agenda. The agenda of bringing America back. Back to 1820.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I think racism is an emotional issue rather than a political one. And just like any emotion, it comes in many forms. Some are racist because they were taught to be; either from their parents, peers, or media; or perhaps through life experiences.

No law will ever erase racism....I actually think it will be around, in one form or another, until the end of time. It's the quickest and easiest way to separate ourselves from each other. Even if we all look the same one day in the way future, we will find another way to divide and conquer ourselves.

It's not right, but it is human nature. At least for now.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Funny how racism is a learned behaviour yet you are typically going to be uneducated if you practice it. I haven't met a 2 year old white baby who hates another 2 year because he or she was black.

I don't need a study to tell me that the uneducated are more prone to rascim than the well educated. Look around you. Seems to me that the uneducated NEED studies like this to tell them this. And just because you have 10 degrees under your belt doesn't mean you're smarter than somebody with just 1. On the contrary. What it means to me is that you're determined to get as much education as you can so you can get a more high profile and better paying job. Neither of which equals intelligence IMO. Just perseverance towards a specific goal. While that in and of itself is not a bad thing, it's actually quite commendable, don't automatically assume that someone with a cushy, well paying job is smart, therefore not a rascist. Watch how they handle themselves, then make a determination.

Actually, some of the smartest people I've known, and know now, have dedicated their lives to one career but are level headed enough to know that they're not above anybody else. One of my older brothers is one of them. And THAT'S something that a college degree isn't going to teach you. Not giving into peer pressure and having your own mind is the biggest defense anyone can have against racism in my opinion. I don't care where you were born, what circumsatances you were born into or how much of a shot society DIDN"T give you, once you become an adult you have the unique ability to change all that. Especially here in America. There is no excuse in my book for not taking personal accountability for your own thoughts and actions. And the lack of that is one of the biggest reasons why racism, and ignorance in general, is still so prevelant in our society.

By the way, I'm a self-educated man who got his work ethic from the Army and Amish genes, so my views on this are going to be a bit prejudiced.

youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

That is not necessarily true. If you take children that are adopted by people from a different race, for example and Asian Child is adopted by Whites, the Asian child will score consistently with that of other Asians. If A Black Child is adopted by Asians the Black Child will score consistently with other Blacks. Now, you would have to be severely dumb to say that genetics doesn't play a role in such instances. This has been proven over and over again. The internet is a very big place with a ton of information if you take the time to actually look things up, which I strongly suggest you do, that way you don't bring a knife into a gunfight.

Think of this, many predominately black and latino schools score low on their tests, now we have states that move white and Asian children into these schools to bring up the test scores. And vice versa, to lower scores So now they can't say that the all white schools score significantly higher than the black schools, they've tried to level the playing field.

I believe that political affilition plays no bearing on IQ. It's just that the majority of the lower Iq People will tend to side with the entity that best suits them. And for good reason, I want a group that advocates my interests.

I had a frog once. I'd hit the table and it would jump. I cut off it's front left leg. I hit the table, and it still jumped! So I cut off its right foreleg. I hit the table and, by golly, it still jumped! So I cut off its left hind leg. I hit the table, and what happens? Yup, you guessed it! It jumped! Albeit, quite a bit of a lopsided jump. So I cut off its remaining right hind leg. I hit the table...and it didn't jump! I guess it went deaf!

/TOA

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

You lost me! lol. I don't know if you're with me or against me so I'll leave this thread alone.
I can see it getting ugly anyways

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Having a degree in both statistics and psychology, I'm calling utter BS on this one!
There are more holes in this study than a pair of pantyhose after passing through a lawnmower.

Not only does this not rise to the scientific method, but it fails simple logic tests as well. To such end I refuse to engage in any level of detailed discussion as this "Study" amounts to nothing more than political baiting and trolling.

The only reason I make even this simple post is to a.) illuminate the master baiters and trolls who would parrot such "results" and b.) alert intelligent people to invest their time in more worthy endeavors.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join