It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

www.livescience.com

There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can c
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
seems to me, the important part of this study is quite simple.
those leaning towards conservative views are more 'sheeple' than others.

'"Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order," Hodson said, explaining why these beliefs might draw those with low intelligence. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice."

in a way, i've always known this. i wish more would take it issue by issue and stop toting the party line, no matter which party.

www.livescience.com

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I blow that theory out of the water.

edit on 1/26/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Oh.

Since we be in the science trolling mood, does this then correlate that racial groups that test as lower IQ then need more structure and tend to be more racist?

And .... KAAA-BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

"There may be cognitive limits in the ability to take the perspective of others, particularly foreigners," Hodson said. "Much of the present research literature suggests that our prejudices are primarily emotional in origin rather than cognitive. These two pieces of information suggest that it might be particularly fruitful for researchers to consider strategies to change feelings toward outgroups," rather than thoughts.

Did it really dawn on no one before this that you fight emotional appeals with emotional appeals if reason can't be brought to bear? Still, easier said than done. If it's do-able at all.

Sorry, eta: SaturnFX, get out of my miiiind!
edit on 26-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because: No duh, indeed.

ETAETA:

I didn't intend to, but both implied that the study was valid, and that I thought we should be trying to leverage emotional appeals. I don't. Emphatically.

All of it reinforced by a video unintentionally offensive in a way that seems to be intentional.

Crap.

I was just trying to say that if you want people who feel a certain way to feel otherwise, then you aim to change their feelings rather than their thinking. Duh.

Not saying anyone should attempt to manipulate people this way. Just, you know, duh.
edit on 26-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because: Crap.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well, being a social liberal, my instinctive response us "well duh!". but I really should try to elevate the discussion.

Are racist people dumbarses? sure. racism comes often through ignorance..and ignorance on this subject in particular is becoming less and less acceptable in a connected society.
Ignorance of course being a pretty good symptom of having at least a lazy mind, if not a slow mind.

Social conservatism is a broad subject though. I find those moved by race or religion to be stupid, however, things like abortion and such I wouldn't classify as idiots also as there are valid discussions either way.

Fiscal conservatives now, there is a broad spectrum. Both sides of this coin (fiscally liberal or conservative) have both thoughtful intellects and braindead idiots...so you can't box that in..

But social conservatives..sure. bunch of drooling, helmet wearing, window licking morons

-in my opinion...
based on studies shown in ops, and personal experience-

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Oh.

Since we be in the science trolling mood, does this then correlate that racial groups that test as lower IQ then need more structure and tend to be more racist?

And .... KAAA-BOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I think that is actually a really good counterpoint to this argument, in that, IQ tests are actually not representative of intelligence at all. The reason many minority groups test less on these tests is because of "nurture" factors - ie, impoverishment keeps them from learning test-taking skills and their desire for learning is stunted by their family issues. I am not sure how else you tell how "smart" someone is to see if there is a correlation between low intelligence and socially conservative values.

Of course, being of the more liberal bent, it's easy for me to personally believe that people are a bit silly when they say things like "gay marriage is the biggest threat humanity has ever faced!" But... I don't think I would have the hubris to point to this study as evidence for that being factual evidence of low intelligence, since it's really just my opinion in the end.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Social conservatism is a political, and usually morally influenced, ideology that focuses on the preservation of what are seen as traditional values. Social conservatism is a form of authoritarianism often associated with the position that the national government, or the state, should have a greater role in the social and moral affairs of its citizens, generally supporting whatever it sees as morally correct choices and discouraging or outright forbidding those it considers morally wrong ones

OP is misguided, SOCIAL conservative does not equal republican, and or political conservative. Most democrats today would fall closer to the definition of a social conservative than a repub. Not that it matters. Just in case you were saying that libs are smart, at least know that you are talking about a very very small percentage of the population that are actually socially conservative.(by the definition of the term) Your portrayal of the information seems to be a jab at political conservatives or libertarianism. Social conservative would be resistant to ANY change, a libertarian or political conservative is only against change that harms people or takes liberty.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

So many news articles are 'duh' these days.

This article, however is biased. It only illustrates attraction to socially conservative influences. Thing is, idiots are attracted to, and influenced by whatever peer group they belong to.

Wherever idiots can find people that make them feel like they belong, or more important than they actually are, idiots will indeed find friends.

That also applies to people of above average intelligence, and pretty much everyone else.
Exploitation of the social imperative, and need to 'belong' or be part of something, effects/influences everyone.

sociopaths, aspergers, autistics, agoraphobes, socially liberated genius, and coma patients are usually exempt.
edit on 26-1-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Sensing-Intuition. Sensing and intuition are the only psychological type preferences that show any consistent relationship to political ideology (in the few studies of which we are aware). In particular, clearer preferences for Sensing associate with conservative leanings whereas clearer preferences for Intuition associate with a more liberal orientation.

Consider the characteristics of Sensing and Intuition types. Sensing types routinely are characterized as practical, realistic, and concerned with the here-and-now. They trust experience and facts. On the other hand, Intuiting types are characterized as imaginative, abstract, and concerned with the future. They trust hunches and possibilities.

Now consider this definition of conservatism from David Horowitz "...conservatism [is] an attitude about the lessons of the actual past. By contrast, the attention of progressives [is] directed toward an imagined future."

[emphasis added]

Source

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
lol, i was wondering if anyone would respond to this at all.
i actually had a good laugh reading this, and realize there are many issues that were ignored and/or not even raised in the article.
this may have actually been the closest i've been yet to trolling.
i mean seriously, i put basically no faith in iq tests.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
What short memory we have.

Back in the 80s when it was about admission to University
IQ tests [color=gold] themselves were considered racist.

But now that the racist charge can be aimed at a rival political party
they are used to proove racism.

. . . So . . . IQ tests are valid again?!
Why didn't I get the memo.

David Grouchy

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
All I can say is Deny Ignorance and this is ignorance at the highest level.

Read through that information again and ask yourself if them writing such a bigoted article qualifies them to do a study on bigotry?

That article is pure politics. This White Conservative, who married a Black Woman, has two Degrees, owns a business and has an estimated IQ of 148 is publicly calling the author(s) of the study liars, bigots and more interested in politics than meaningful science. That study was rigged to give a predefined outcome.

Deny Ignorance.

I wonder, do you who are on the Far Left even understand that you are exhibiting extreme bigotry yourselves by spewing lies and venom about people who's views you don't agree with? Do you also know your showing a low intellect in that you have to stoop to such tactics to communicate your point of view?

The only real point in that article of any merit is that I have no doubt that education and intelligence do play a role. The other though, is just more of the same from the Left who want to force their beliefs on everyone else and suffer from grandiose delusions.

Perhaps next they could engage in a study about why the old "KKK" was an exclusive club for members of the Democratic Party in the US and why it is that only the Republicans uniting made it possible to pass Equal Rights in the US? No, Progressives don't like history much, or truth for that matter.

I'll let them get back to discussing their hero's Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin and all the rest. Perhaps they can hold a meeting on top of the tens of millions of graves their hero's filled with those who dared to not agree with them.
edit on 1/26/2012 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Probably the dumbest article I've ever read. Nearly all people are racist to a degree, and the intelligence level of those on both fringes of society are equal.

Fact: The Republican Party has twice as many degree holders as the Democratic Party.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Is this article assuming only white people are capable of racism?
Doubt it, right?

Intelligence quotient (IQ) tests performed in the United States have consistently demonstrated a significant degree of variation between different racial groups, with the average score of the African American population being lower— and that of the Asian American population being higher— than that of the European-American population.

WIKI
Before the flaming begins:
Same

While the existence of racial IQ gaps is well-documented and not subject to much dispute, there is no consensus among researchers as to their cause.

Infer what you like, if you are to believe this study.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
oK, let's sum up humanity's thoughts in one stupid sentence:

"U not lik me? U dum".

Most human beings are like this. heck, most of the conservatives who will complain about this say similar things about liberals. I don't care. Why don't you guys just go beastmode on each other and leave the rest of us alone?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp

seems to me, the important part of this study is quite simple.
those leaning towards conservative views are more 'sheeple' than others.

'"Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order," Hodson said, explaining why these beliefs might draw those with low intelligence. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice."

in a way, i've always known this. i wish more would take it issue by issue and stop toting the party line, no matter which party.

www.livescience.com

The most intelligent people in my life are conservative...

Ron Paul preaches conservatism, and is one of the smartest politicians there are at the moment...

I, myself... have came to be conservative, and I'm smarter than ever(well duh!)
When I was above the age of 18, and would label myself the most ignorant I had ever been, I was more liberal....

so yeah... we're all individuals, and studies like these are not to be used to generalize and then make application to the general public...

booo!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Probably the dumbest article I've ever read. Nearly all people are racist to a degree, and the intelligence level of those on both fringes of society are equal.

Fact: The Republican Party has twice as many degree holders as the Democratic Party.

I dont really have any more to add....

Just thought it was worth mentioning twice

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Funny you should say that. The more things I learn the less liberal I become. I suppose pretending to be open-minded while calling anyone who disagrees with your political views stupid does not seem like a problem to university students who never think critically about what professors say.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Allow me to say clearly that I believe this supposed scientific experiment is a crock at best. First of all, IQ is not a very strong method of defining a person’s intellect but only a small fraction of it. There are blank areas on IQ tests which questions regarding metaphysical, aesthetic, ethical, and other non – natural and material inquiry can further elevate an IQ. This is not to say that what the IQ tests cover is not necessary, rather that they are like asking about your mother’s height, weight, hair color and not ask about her views on religion, existence, and so on… It will not give you a full picture.

Second is that to merely classify Social Conservatives as stupid is erroneous. We do not have the same world view as a person of the Liberal persuasion, but that does not make us stupid. In essence a conservative will rely on his intuition, often regarded as ignorance, but is instead merely a built in mechanism which is generally positive but cannot be arguably defended using positivist logic. This often means we gravitate towards historical understanding and realism towards the present. A liberal would gravitate towards future possibilities and optimism towards the present. The conservative reactionary Joseph de Maistre summed it up quite well:

“I thank God for my ignorance still more than for my knowledge; for my knowledge is mine, at least in part, and in consequence I cannot be sure that it is good, but my ignorance, at least that of which I am speaking, is His, therefore I trust it fully.”

A liberal would look upon history as a book of horrors and/or a list of things which need correction; a conservative however looks at history as a validation of Christian teachings that man is naturally sinful. A rosy optimism towards the human potential and the future we do not tend to have; nor can one label it as a cynicism either.

It is important to note that I am not specifically referring to your ordinary Southern Baptist waving the Bible screaming about how you need to know God and love Israel. Nor am I referring to the overwhelming majority of modern day conservatives; of which I consider pseudo – conservatives, but that is an entirely different discussion. The orthodox conservatives; radical traditionalists; reactionaries; are those of whom I am discussing. They are largely academics today relegated to the corners of the internet but they do exist and have shaped my world view. Most are involved in some form of science; biology, physics, or metaphysics; Thomism, Aristotelianism.

May I just say; we are neither ignorant nor lacking in IQ.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join