It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF to buy 'hundreds' of STOVL JSFs, Gen. Jumper says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The Chief of the AF has indicated that the USAF will purchase the STOVL JSF numbering in the hundreds in an effort to bolster its CAS efforts for the Army. THe AF had previously only been commited to the conventional model. This move will bolster the STOVL variant IMHO and may also offset its unit cost somewhat. It has been plagued by weight problems and rumors persist that its inital production slot may be changed to allow more time for development. Right now the Marine and the Royal Navy are the biggest customers for the STOVL JSF.

I for one am a little skeptical about the plane taking the role of the A-10. Will the JSF be able to absorb the same amount of damage as the A-10? I also want to see how persnickety its stealth is. The F-117 loses its stealth if a screw is not flush. Howabout an F-35 with battle damage? It may beome easy picking.

The U.S. Air Force plans to buy "hundreds" of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters in the short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) configuration, a key general said Sept. 13, adding further clarity to the service's plans for the JSF variant.

The specific figure remains under review, said Gen. John Jumper, Air Force chief of staff.

"I can't give you an exact number, but it's going to be more than a handful," Jumper said at a press briefing at the Air Force Association's Air & Space Conference in Washington.

Current budget plans call for the Air Force to buy all 1,763 of its JSFs in the conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) configuration, but Jumper and Air Force Secretary James Roche announced in February that the service would like to buy the STOVL variant as well to provide close air support, particularly for Army ground troops (DAILY, Feb. 13, Feb. 17). The Air Force has said since then that the number of STOVL JSFs it buys could result in a corresponding reduction in the number of CTOL F-35s it acquires.

Article

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
hmmmmmmm...

At first I was thinking thats good, because then they will keep there congess funding up if they help out the Army more and stuff. But with the fan on board they cant hold as many weapons and fuel.

But I guess all in all, I think they made a good choice.

Also, FREDT - I know the JSF is replacing the A-10, but that doesn't mean it will cover the role the same. The A-10's main weapon is there badass gun, but on the same note, thats what makes them have to fly lower then the Air Force would prefer, especially now, with what seems like everyone in Iraq has an RPG. I think it will be able to do the A-10's role just fine, and it will do it in stealth, If it had some bullet holes in it, it would make it show up a little more on radar (depending on where hit), But it wont be a "fly close to ground" kind of plane.

I like the JSF, and I know alot of people think it will get the boot because its weight or price or just because it wont be available for another decade, but with all branches wanting it, and 17 other countries, it will dodge congresses bullet.

new topics

join