It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to Cut Oil Exports to Europe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

They use their own oil, right ?

not for all of their needs - they lack enough refineries I think - so they have to import a lot of refined product

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sk8ergrl

It's possible, but more likely is that the elite simply play these fear tactics to keep the richest in every country at the top of society. But, if that's not the case, and all of this isn't just theatrics then the reality of a genuine world war is a very real and very scary possibility.

You really can divide the players into two halves with a few maybes. The problem isn't confined to who in the middle-east or which other super powers will become involved, just look at the situation over the Falklands, all those nations buy Russian Military equipment, Chile is a question over antarctic land disputes with Argentina and Britain. Venezuela, Cuba, Colombia, Mexico even, could (probably would) in the chaos sieze that opportunity to aim north of the border.

China and Russia have each condemned both the sanctions against Iran and Iran possessing nuclear weapons. But with Russian and western relations ebbing to such a low that Medvedev is (again, if not just for show) threatening that Russia may withdraw from the NPT if America refuses to back off on the missile defense shield in the Eastern Bloc and Former Soviet states, and Sergei Lavrov seemingly backing Irans legitimate nuclear ambitions, it looks for all to see as though Russia would side with Iran, without a legal basis for war.

China, I feel, would sit it out - until they were dragged in by a Korean or Thai conflict maybe. But it's all speculation and my gut tells me that it's just a big risk and monopoly hybrid game and the majority of players like you and me are destined to lose - but hopefully not in a WWIII.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whipfather
Wait a minute.

The European Union announced that they will stop importing oil from Iran.

...And Iran's response is to stop exporting oil to Europe?

Which genius came up with that plan?
edit on 26-1-2012 by Whipfather because: (no reason given)

And the EU balked a little (for their own economic reasons) and set the timeline up.

Iran could have a case here, as long as they can cover any internal deficiencies created.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whipfather
Wait a minute.

The European Union announced that they will stop importing oil from Iran.

...And Iran's response is to stop exporting oil to Europe?

Which genius came up with that plan?
edit on 26-1-2012 by Whipfather because: (no reason given)

maybe you don't understand that Europe set this to take effect in spring and why not beat them to it?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seiva7

That's not quite true.

all existing contracts have to be phased out by 1 June, but the European ban on new contracts is immediate - no new contracts as of 2 days ago.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seiva7

If they're willing to pay in Gold, they'd be a fool NOT to. The dollar is a joke but we're not the ones laughing

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by seiva7

That's not quite true.

all existing contracts have to be phased out by 1 June, but the European ban on new contracts is immediate - no new contracts as of 2 days ago.

as simply as that?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Aren't those the exact countries whose economy is just as tanked as ours? I spent over 6 years in Germany and they dislike the fact that they have to "carry" these countries. The Euro isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by seiva7

Apparently yes - I've been looking for the actual regulation (or whatever) text, but haven't found it - so I'm only going on the news reports.

Typical text:

European Union governments agreed on Monday to an immediate ban on all new contracts to import, buy or transport Iranian crude oil,.....
- www.moneycontrol.com...

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
edit on 26-1-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

reply to post by seiva7

Apparently yes - I've been looking for the actual regulation (or whatever) text, but haven't found it - so I'm only going on the news reports.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

oh, the news reports.

"let us never tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories concerning the news reports"
edit on 26-1-2012 by seiva7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by seiva7

I found the text of the actual regulation -

Grr......the link is long & ATS doesn't like it, and apparently doesn't like tinyurl either - try "http : //tinyurl . com/7s6whvr" sorry about having to reconstruct it!

At it's end it states:

Article 3
This Decision shall enter into force on the date of its adoption.
Done at Brussels, 23 January 2012.

So it entered force as of 23 January.

Yeah - god forbid that the news industry should ever be accurate...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

reply to post by seiva7

I found the text of the actual regulation -

Grr......the link is long & ATS doesn't like it, and apparently doesn't like tinyurl either - try "http : //tinyurl . com/7s6whvr" sorry about having to reconstruct it!

At it's end it states:

Article 3
This Decision shall enter into force on the date of its adoption.
Done at Brussels, 23 January 2012.

So it entered force as of 23 January.

Yeah - god forbid that the news industry should ever be accurate...

are you a lawyer?

I mean, can you explain exactly which measures are enforced now and which later.

I saw some dates, June, July...
edit on 26-1-2012 by seiva7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineFem
Aren't those the exact countries whose economy is just as tanked as ours?
Yes, those are three of the countries in the worst position.

I spent over 6 years in Germany and they dislike the fact that they have to "carry" these countries.
But they didn't mind when everybody else had to pay higher interest rates because Germany had taken almost all of the available loans to accomplish the reuniting of the west and east sides.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I saw some days ago that the biggest importers of Iranian oil are Italy, Spain and Greece, so I wonder why someone would want to force those countries to buy oil from a different source.

These very same EU countries have been forced to undergo neo-liberal reforms by stronger EU players. It doesn't really come as a surprise that the same EU players (France, Germany, possibly UK) would also try to dictate their energy situation too.

What I want to know is where will the EU go to replace this oil? Russia?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by seiva7

are you a lawyer?

I mean, can you explain exactly which measures are enforced now and which later.

I saw some dates, June, July

no I'm not a lawyer - however I think the relevant sections are:

Article 3a
1. The import, purchase or transport of Iranian crude oil and petroleum products shall be prohibited.

and

Article 3b
1. The import, purchase or transport of Iranian petrochemical products shall be prohibited.

There are exemptions for both of these here:

Article 3c
1. The prohibitions set out in Article 3a shall be without prejudice to the execution, until 1 July 2012, of contracts concluded before 23 January 2012 or ancillary contracts necessary for the execution of such contracts, to be concluded and executed not later than 1 July 2012.
2. The prohibitions set out in Article 3a shall be without prejudice to the execution of obligations provided for in contracts concluded before 23 January 2012 or in ancillary contracts necessary for the execution of such obligations where the supply of Iranian crude oil and petroleum products or the proceeds derived from their supply are for the reimbursement of outstanding amounts with respect to contracts concluded before 23 January 2012 to persons or entities within the territories of Member States or under their jurisdiction, where those contracts specifically provide for such reimbursements.
Article 3d
1. The prohibitions set out in Article 3b shall be without prejudice to the execution, until 1 May 2012, of contracts concluded before 23 January 2012 or in ancillary contracts necessary for the execution of such contracts, to be concluded and executed not later than 1 May 2012.
2. The prohibitions set out in Article 3b shall be without prejudice to the execution of obligations provided for in contracts concluded before 23 January 2012 or in ancillary contracts necessary for the execution of such obligations where the supply of petrochemical products or the proceeds derived from the supply of these products are for the reimbursement of outstanding amounts with respect to contracts concluded before 23 January 2012 to persons or entities within the territories of Member States or under their jurisdiction, where those contracts specifically provide for such reimbursements.";

Wordy stuff - but basically these say that contracts from before 23 January are exempt, until 1 July - when they aer no longer exempt - ie after 1 July oil & petroleum can't be imported even under old contracts from before 23 July.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
These very same EU countries have been forced to undergo neo-liberal reforms by stronger EU players. It doesn't really come as a surprise that the same EU players (France, Germany, possibly UK) would also try to dictate their energy situation too.

Spain, Italy and especially Greece are three of the countries that kicked the Euro in the teeth with bad debt and crappy economies.I'd think the EU would want to rein them in just a tad for that reason.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
So they cut oil exports to Europe.

Sucks to be them, but Iran is the one that will be hurt the most due to sanctions.

Anyone wonder where Iran gets their food from? I don't remember seeing too many vast fields of grain and wheat growing. Groves of fruit trees. Herds of cattle and sheep (almost said pigs!).

They can't eat oil, and I'm certain they can't produce enough food on their own for their citizens. Unless they decide to go the ol' Soylent Green route.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Spain, Italy and especially Greece are three of the countries that kicked the Euro in the teeth with bad debt and crappy economies.I'd think the EU would want to rein them in just a tad for that reason.

You really believe that?

Because we've actually gone over that at my school. We first looked at the mainstream media's version of how horrible these countries' situations were and how they desperately needed to be bailed out... and then we looked at the more exclusive reports without all of the rhetoric. Turns out that the situations were not nearly as bad as described. Turns out that the whole point of the propaganda campaign was to force the state to cut its own assets in these countries, so other EU countries could buy these assets up.

Why do you think the Greeks were rioting non-stop against austerity? You think they were begging for help from other countries?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by seiva7

EU wants to cut oil imports from Iran from July 1 and Iran wants to stop selling oil to them right away (which is only a guess at this time, but still)? I love that!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
As I noted in the uk news the other day An oil refinery gone bust . Now 'scuse me .. but Ive never heard of an oil refinery goin bust ......ever ..!! Having said that ... If the said refinery was owned by someone (lets say) of a fiscal banking family or a Bilderberger. and that refinery was contracted to only to buy oil in dollars . Then it may happen that said refinery could very quickly be bought by another "monied/connected " source at a much reduced cost .and then recontracted to buy oil with both GOLD and DOLLARS... therefore allowing the purchase of oil in whichever currency required ..THUS allowing a legit supply to europe .
I will watch for more refineries suddenly going bust ..
Ps ..BTW ..(.Off Topic ) Wonderfull news that OBama has been declined elligibilty to stand for the office of POTUS In Georgia, as a result of him not natural born citizen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join