It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some drawings I did.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Acrylic is definitely cheaper. Oil is rediculously priced. So much so that I haven't tried using it outside of school where it was paid for. A good tip is when you go to the art store, buy your acrylic from the craft side of the store instead of the painting side, it's usually a dollar or so cheaper per bottle. Why? I have no idea. It's literally the same paint, but in a slightly different bottle.
I don't know if this pricing phenomena is ubiquitous to all art shops, but as long as I've been shopping at AC Moore and Michaels, it's been that way.
Be sure to post more art in the future. I'd love to see it.
ATS needs more artists sharing their works.

edit on 26-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
That was something I discovered a couple of weeks ago, but I am glad you brought up!

I needed more white, and the wife said wal mart had acrylic paint on sale. So I told her to pick me up some. She brought me back this nice sized bottle of acrylic white. It was way bigger than the tubes I had. I figured scew it, it says it is acrylic, and tried it out. Was a tiny bit runnier than the tubed white, but exactly the same in every other respect. I went back and checked out what they had after and if you don't mind making your own colors through mixing, you can get a 8 oz bottle for like 3 or 4 bucks, but if you buy it in the tubes, you only get maybe an ounce, if even that for almost the same price.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Very nice! Thank you for sharing. I like your painting alot, very dramatic. I am rather tempted to post some of my own art work, though you guys do put me to shame!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Starcaller

I know how you feel.

When I see peoples art, I almost feel ashamed of mine. Although after I went and did some reading on Van Gogh and a few others, I realized that talent comes in many many forms with art.
There was a guy I used to work with and one day he saw one of my drawings and told me they were cool, and then he brought in one of his...I felt instantly about an inch tall after and it took me a long time after before I would show my works to anyone. He was a master artist with colored pens. Obviously he went to school for it, I never had that luxury.

Show your stuff!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I may have to ask my fellow ATS artists for a bit of advice soon. I'm currently working on a painting and I want a simplistic background, but I'm torn on what I should do. Maybe I'll start a thread once I get to that point.

I agree with Darkblade71. Show your stuff. Worst case scenario, you learn some tips and tricks of the trade.

edit on 26-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

I'll keep an eye out for the thread

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Very true guys, would be good to learn some stuff actually. I'll look at uploading some stuff. And likewise, I look forward to your thread.
edit on 26/1/12 by Starcaller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starcaller
Very true guys, would be good to learn some stuff actually. I'll look at uploading some stuff. And likewise, I look forward to your thread.
edit on 26/1/12 by Starcaller because: (no reason given)

What kind of art do you do? Anything in particular?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I dont have any particular style, I am stricly very amatuer. I mostly draw animals, landscapes and plants. Love drawing animals
I tend to stick to oil pastels and water colours though I'm not afraid to play around with different mediums.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
except oil paints....I suck at using it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Have you tried acrylics? Much easier than oils I think.

And I still wanna see your stuff. For years I thought art was about perfect lines and details.
Lately, I have been learning a lot about art and art history, and realized that I saw art in totally the wrong way.
Since then, I have really opened my eyes to what people do.

You have nothing to lose by posting your paintings, and I would love to see them, but no pressure

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Thought I should post some of the stuff I have on my pc. They are by no means finished...rather they are just drawings I did out of enjoyment really. Was playing around with different mediums, think there is a mixture of pastels, pencils and paints all in these drawings. Wow, i'm actually kinda cringing at the though of posting these
You guys make my drawings look like scribbles drawn by a toddler! lol. Ah well, i've got nothing to lose... here goes...
i.imgur.com...
i.imgur.com...

Took the pics with my crappy camera on my phone as I can't fit them on my scanner :p
edit on 27/1/12 by Starcaller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I LOVE THEM!!
The birds are really nice!! I mean REALLY nice!

The cats too!! Love the eyes!

Most excellent!
You should start a thread and post them so people don't miss them.

If I was you, I wouldn't doubt myself, but that is the pot calling the kettle black as I am my own worst critic.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Hehe thanks, I was sitting here like "Oh crap, they might laugh at my drawings.....should i quickly delete the links??". Well thank you for not laughing at them! And now I can breathe....

Ah yes, I think we are all our own worst critics in some way. I know I have many a time screwed up a drawing and tossed it away because I thought it was total crap.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

That is what I like about painting. Screwing up is no big deal, you can paint over it and fix it. Don't really have that option with a pen.

Plus with painting, it is YOUR world, so the pressure is off on what you want to create.

I'm glad you shared them!

There are so many people out there who can only do stick figures, or so they say. Drawing, painting and photography all take such hand eye coordination.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I do enjoy your art, I also enjoy that you are exploring. My favorite is the green background dragon, the detail is amazing. Keep it up

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Thank you

I was surprised people liked them really. I think it is the first time I have shown them anywhere other than to people who come over and notice all of the notebooks and drawing tablets all over.

I ended up giving my daughter one of my art tablets so she could color the things I drew. She brought it back to me and made me make a rainbow, shamrock and little leprechaun with a pot of gold looking down from "where the rainbows come from"

I guess it was to counteract the monsters lol
edit on 27-1-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Add more dudes in armor with helmeted horns, and maybe a few sketches of them doing Fus Ro Dah and it should be awesome.

But I really like your some dragons are furious sketch, it is a weird blend of snake, crocodile, and what looks like other various reptiles/animals it is definitely one of the coolest dragon pictures I ever seen.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

I have a little story about that dragon actually.
It is a combination of reptile and canine. Kind of like a wolf with wings.
As the story with that picture goes,
In the little world in my mind, Dragons who lived in colder climate grew fur under their scales.
and when they reach warmer climates or springtime, they begin to molt their fur.
anyone who comes across a dragon in such a state, never lives to tell about it because the dragon is so irritated with its own itching and scratching that it turns this irritation into fury and destroys anything that looks at it or comes within what the dragon considers "personal space".
Basically anything aware of it in this state is killed.

Kind of a cool little story that went with the picture.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I found some of my old computer art I did back in 1999.
I figured I would add them to the thread

---Ant Man---

--- The Cosmic Tick ---

----Fire Storm----

----Red Dragon----

I thought these were gone forever
!Gotta love geocities archives!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join