It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Outrage As Egypt Bars Americans From Leaving

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

U.S. Outrage As Egypt Bars Americans From Leaving

www.reuters.com

Six Americans working for publicly funded U.S. organizations promoting democracy in Egypt have been barred from leaving the country, provoking angry demands in Washington that Cairo's new military rulers stop "endangering American lives".

The younger LaHood said he was stopped at Cairo airport on Saturday and prevented from boarding a flight out.

"This crisis has escalated to the point that it now endangers the lives of American citizens and could set back the long-standing partnership..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Sam LaHood told Reuters that a judge had charged him and three other IRI employees with managing an unregistered NGO and being paid employees of an unregistered organization, charges that carry a penalty of up to five years in jail. - reuters

Sounds to me a lot like the USA's No Fly policy...

So what, when we do it to other people it's just fine...

But when an American politicians' son gets stuck... flags get raised instantly.

Seriously, the double-standards are amazing me. So American's can be locked up in America for nothing at all... no charges, no court case, no jury...

But if someone is on trial for something illegal in another country... by all means... Call To Arms...

(And no, I'm not arguing the validity of the claims against the defendants. It's just funny that at least in Egypt you have a court date... here you can get shipped to *insert military prison here* for *insert time period here* just for... well... nothing?)

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Won't allow them to leave? Isn't that kidnapping?

Seriously though, anyone in their right mind who isn't an Egyptian protester may wanna high tail it outta there!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Absolutely preposterous, you have to love the way the U.S. government acts as if it can do whatever it wants, where ever it wants, with no repercussions. I'd be willing to bet this degrading paper in my pocket that if the tables were turned, the suspects wouldn't have even gotten a news story, just a swift shipment to the camp.

S&F for you, OP.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

i dont like the NGOs after all they are the ones that started the protests by bribing people like the way they did in Serbia of 2000 .
edit on 26-1-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I suspect this may have something to do with the usual military leaders' repeated complaints about "NGO's" that are "helping" spread democracy are actually "interfering" in the nation's internal affairs and are somehow responsible for "empowering" and "instigating" the 'dissidence" which is spreading in the country.

Of course, arguments will fly on either side of this discussion...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I suspect this may have something to do with the usual military leaders' repeated complaints about "NGO's" that are "helping" spread democracy are actually "interfering" in the nation's internal affairs and are somehow responsible for "empowering" and "instigating" the 'dissidence" which is spreading in the country.

Of course, arguments will fly on either side of this discussion...

Of course... if America wasn't there, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

Arguments will fly on either side of that discussion also.

What do you think our government would do if they found a cell of individuals financing and spurring on the violent overthrow of the US Government?

It's the SAME THING.
edit on 26-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2012 by YouAreLiedTo because: Horrid spelling...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

link   

link   

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I warned Westerners to get out of Egypt, that the intifada to install The Muslim Brotherhood would result in an atmosphere they would find life threatening.

It is sad they did not listen and now find themselves at the mercy of insane muslims, frothing at the mouth for Allah, and engaged in violent jihad to spill blood on his altar.

Egypt is now but a smoldering ruin of Islamic carnage.

Soon the antiquities will be destroyed.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
If they broke Egyptian law then I have no problem with them being held there for however long.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

the sad truth is that most of these NGOs are now CIA operations and they are used to destablize governments.... The whole movement of NGOs is nothing more than a fasad and window dressing for the American empire builders .....

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Tried too post an informative article here on ATS called,,

THE BURDEN OF EGYPT

but alas,, it was DENIED,,

oh well,,

Told ya so,,,

Me.

Thought i'd give heads up,, at the time,, being a CANADIAN and all,,
still remember ,, that hostage situation which had a profound, effect,,

but powers that be and all that,,,
Hope they dont shoot them like ImaDinner Jacket ?/
edit on 26-1-2012 by BobAthome because: what was the name of the Canadian Diplomat,,,

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Some info is coming out that the reason for the arrest of those people has a direct link to the status of US monetary aid to Egypt. Its the same thing Iran does - snag a foreigner, hold a sham trial, find the person guilty and then demand a large "bail amount" in order to release the person in custody.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think maybe 5 people care, one being some old crazy guy who calls himself senator.. leaving 300+ million Americans not outraged... the vast majority of which don't care. Besides, mccain "chairs" the "IRI" NGO.. meaning it's shady, probably some DC mafia asset of gangster capitalism.. they deserve to be detained, jailed and or treated like terrorists as far as I'm concerned.

"Sam LaHood told Reuters that a judge had accused him and three other IRI employees with managing an unregistered NGO and being paid employees of an unregistered organization, infractions that carry a penalty of up to five years in jail."

A judge ruled these people committed a local crime, put them on trial and if facts dictate.. lock em up for 5 years... it's the pre 9/11 American way. Or just call them a name and detain them forever.. the new American way.

Either way.. GOOD!!! and HAHAHA!!.. every NGO fail is a win.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join