It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

36 Obama aides owe $833,000 in back taxes..$3.4 Billion by Fed. Employees combined

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I don't remember hearing this in Obama's SOTU the other night. Do you? Pay our fair share? That's rich... The bigger picture involves the $3.4 BILLION in back taxes owed by Federal employees as a whole.

How embarrassing this must be for President Obama, whose major speech theme so far this campaign season has been that every single American, no matter how rich, should pay their "fair share" of taxes.

Because how unfair -- indeed, un-American -- it is for an office worker like, say, Warren Buffet's secretary to dutifully pay her taxes, while some well-to-do people with better educations and higher incomes end up paying a much smaller tax rate.

Or, worse, skipping their taxes altogether.

A new report just out from the Internal Revenue Service reveals that 36 of President Obama's executive office staff owe the country $833,970 in back taxes. These people working for Mr. Fair Share apparently haven't paid any share, let alone their fair share.

The IRS' 2010 delinquent tax revelations come as part of a required annual agency report on federal employees' tax compliance. Turns out, an awful lot of folks being paid by taxpayers are not paying their own income taxes.

The report finds that thousands of federal employees owe the country more than $3.4 billion in back taxes. That's up 3% in the past year.

That scale of delinquency could annoy voters, hard-pressed by their own costs, fears and stubbornly high unemployment despite Joe Biden's many promises.

Even within Congress ...The tax offenders include employees of the U.S. Senate who help write the laws imposed on everyone else. They owe $2.1 million. Workers in the House of Representatives owe $8.5 million, Department of Education employees owe $4.3 million and over at Homeland Security, 4,697 workers owe about $37 million. Active duty military members owe more than $100 million.

WOW!!

he Treasury Department, where Obama nominee Tim Geithner had to pay up $42,000 in his own back taxes before being confirmed as secretary, has 1,181 other employees with delinquent taxes totaling $9.3 million.

As usual, the Postal Service, with more than 600,000 workers, has the most offenders (25,640), who also owe the most -- almost $270 million. Veterans Affairs has 11,659 workers owing the IRS $151 million while the Energy Department that was so quick to dish out more than $500 million to the Solyndra folks has 322 employees owing $5 million.

The country's chief law enforcement agency, the Department of Justice, has 2,069 employees who are nearly $17 million behind in taxes. Like Operation Fast and Furious, Attorney General Eric Holder has apparently missed them too.

Here's a novel approach. Instead of inciting class warfare and looking to throw the book at the super rich... How about enforcing the law and collecting from the deadbeats on the Federal tit. $3.4 Billion is nothing to sneeze at!!! Fair share my !@#

news.investors.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I certainly hope his focus on taxes will include making everyone pay theirs. This is a disgrace.

It's not Obama's fault, though. The senators don't run their taxes by Obama first.

The tax offenders include employees of the U.S. Senate who help write the laws imposed on everyone else. They owe $2.1 million. Workers in the House of Representatives owe $8.5 million, Department of Education employees owe $4.3 million and over at Homeland Security, 4,697 workers owe about $37 million. Active duty military members owe more than $100 million.

These individuals should be held responsible for their fair share of taxes.

But according to current federal law, the only federal employees who can be fired for not paying taxes are IRS workers.

The LAW needs to change.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

But according to current federal law, the only federal employees who can be fired for not paying taxes are IRS workers.

The LAW needs to change.

Who cares about firing them? Prosecute them like everyone else gets.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
So why should I pay mine when they don't even pay theirs?

Because instead of going after these guys they go after small business owners that are a threat to corporations...

I wonder how many "offenders" there are within the IRS itself... How ironic would that be
I bet most the judges that preside over the tax hearings are delinquent themselves...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here's the kicker...

The minute an average American fails to file to the IRS, he/she gets audited.
If the person doesn't pay, they get fines tacked on, or thrown in jail.

So what do these people get?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SmArTbEaTz

You're right. While the IRS is cracking down on small businesses, huge corporations are being audited less and less each year.. The GOP wants more cuts to the IRS so that corporations won't be audited at all. And get this: They WARN corporations before they get audited to let them know precisely where they're going to look and give them a few days to get it in order... (I saw this on the Young Turks yesterday with guest David Cay Johnston)

When I saw the following video, I thought, ALL of us should refuse to pay our taxes until corporations are audited and the wealthy are paying their fair share.

MUST see Video

edit on 1/26/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/26/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
If you could find out where the Tax evaders in the government were then you could call the IRS and turn them in

I say the government just needs to be shut down with just a skeleton crew for Social Security, if they cant obey the law then they need to go to jail, just like what happens to WE THE PEOPLE

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It's not Obama's fault, though. The senators don't run their taxes by Obama first.

This is not about senators. It is about White House staffers.

A new report just out from the Internal Revenue Service reveals that 36 of President Obama's executive office staff owe the country $833,970 in back taxes.

If it isn't embarrassing to the POTUS it should be. He's advocating everyone pay their fair share and his own people put that idea on ignore.

news.investors.com...

edit on 8/25/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add something

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetnlow
If you could find out where the Tax evaders in the government were then you could call the IRS and turn them in

I say the government just needs to be shut down with just a skeleton crew for Social Security, if they cant obey the law then they need to go to jail, just like what happens to WE THE PEOPLE

The report finds that thousands of federal employees owe the country more than $3.4 billion in back taxes. That's up 3% in the past year.

Well, I doubt those FEMA camps were meant for federal employees, but with the prisons being so crowded, hey, why not?

sad eyed lady - talking crazy

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Are we to believe that everyone at the IRS is all paid up in taxes?
And what about the federal resrve that doesn't get audited, how would the IRS know? Ditto the CIA and their black op drug dealing, area 51 is probably off the IRS radar, even if big banks paid 95% of their income in taxes, they still get 5% of profit from taxes, but I'm willing to bet they pay very little taxes.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Anyone know if these members of Obama's executive office staff have paid their "fair share" yet??

Just curious as another year comes to an end...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH, you and I rarely agree - but on this, I am with you 100%! This is an absolute disgrace and is only a microcosm of the crap these politicians pull! If I could have my way, I'd like to see BOTH of the parties get the boot by the American people. It can't happen soon enough.

With respect to BO... he has cabinet members and appointees who haven't paid. Timothy Geithner ring a bell? And the man is in charge of the US Treasury for Pete's sake! He's not setting a very good example telling the rest of us to pay our "Fair share" when he directly employs people who don't pay theirs. In the real world, it's called HYPOCRISY!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
And yet this is small potatoes compared to the real power behind the scenes. Does it matter if federal reserve employees pay taxes when they can create money out of nothing?

new topics

top topics

join