It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

It's called a typo I forgot the word "do' woopdedoo

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

This thread isn't about Obama's intelligence. I personally think Obama is extremely intelligent and suave. It's about the masses. We pump billions into education and we still have to be spoken to like we're children.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

I am not arguing with you, just saying that 8th grade reading level is the norm for most MSM.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This actually makes sense. I took a class on patient education this year and another one a couple of years ago and several studies were cited regarding the literacy rates of patients in both courses. Essentially the average reading level for a high school graduate was 10th grade and the average patient that comes into a doctor's office has an 8th grade reading level. The recommendation was to make patient education material, printouts, and to basically speak to the patient in terms that a person in 8th grade would understand so as much as possible was understood. I cannot recall the sources in the literature but the courses were accredited by the AMA, AAFP, and AAPA so were as valid as they can be.

Sadly this is a reflection on the American "No One Left Behind" education system. We probably need more funding and legislative effort placed behind education rather than anti-piracy... :-/

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

That was so very well written and I noticed not on an 8th grade level. Hopefully, the receiver understood the meaning

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShockTruther

Originally posted by newcovenant

Hence the viscous, and I stress the word viscous since it is what it is an intended calculated and deliberate trick, VISCOUS - creating a cycle which is in turn creating the mess that is America today. Our rich don't care and yet they have a lot of troubled, struggling and frustrated citizens fooled into siding with them, parroting their causes. Lured there with the smell of money and false promises of equality. It is a scam and it is working.

Time to break the mold folks.
edit on 26-1-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

Dude... I agree with some of what you stated, but you really need to correct this part. No one with a brain will take you seriously. Especially when you highlight your error with bold and CAPS...

What, are you talking about oil or water? Am I really the only one who noticed this?

A bit ironic considering this post started out talking about the failing education system...
edit on 26-1-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

Auto correct error I missed and you got me! Sorry that was careless. And FYI in the future you can always remove most of those [edit by] notations so you don't have more than one. Highlight and delete. That's it as long as you do it within 30 minutes or something like that. Thanks for noticing and viscous does not mean oil OR water it means sticky and thick. And I mean vicious as in wicked.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

= Problem with USAs intelligence/adhd problems

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
What's the point here? Isn't the average novel written at this grade level or below? The point of any speech is to communicate succinctly and clearly, not to impress people with big words or legalspeak.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Definitly speaks volumes
about his target demographic... and their comprehension levels
edit on 26-1-2012 by roshjoberts because: smiley inserted in parenthesees was incorrect

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Like when your in public speaking class in college and your graded solely on one thing...like how many times you said umm...or uhhh...is that what you mean?

No. I don't mean anything like that. I just have a very "personal" approach to teaching, and in my opinion, there is a huge concern about standards and scores or avaliations, without really considering how people express them-selfs.

For example, what do you think is more important:

A- Talking without any flaws, perfect accent and all that, with an extensive vocabulary, but having an apathy vibe towards the public.

B- Not being perfect on how you talk, or how extensive/complex is your vocabulary, but having a vibrant and clear touch with the public and having your message understood.

Most important characters in history are remarkable for the B, not A. Like someone said earlier, if you talk too "fancy", you might take the risk of sounding elitist and arrogant. Not that someone who knows how to talk is automatically arrogant, but I think you know what I truly mean. It's just an(my) opinion.

I can give an awesome presentation about jellybeans...but if I say umm three times I fail.

If you say "um" or "uuuh" a lot it shows lack of confidence, knowledge, or any other negative aspect of communication towards an audience, thus making said presentation weak, not awesome.

When you are awesome, you don't usually say "umm" or "uuh" because mostly you would show excitment in most cases, right? You love jellybeans, you are making a speech about them, you try to bond to people throw your speech. The same way a president addresses the nation about his "jellybeans". lol

I'm sorry but your post makes no sense to me..."Doesn't matter the content..."?

I said that to isolate speech technique discussion, and the subjects Obama was talking about. The subjects are obviously important, but we were discussing the technique in his speech, which, personally, I don't think was 8th grade level.

It was a fluid speech, easy to listen to, and he even joked a bit in the middle, lifting it up a knot or two.

That's what I meant by "the content doesn't matter". It was just something my teachers used to say to me when I was younger... "Sometimes it's more important what you say (meaning) than how you say it (method)".

Regards

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tifozi

Like when your in public speaking class in college and your graded solely on one thing...like how many times you said umm...or uhhh...is that what you mean?

No. I don't mean anything like that. I just have a very "personal" approach to teaching, and in my opinion, there is a huge concern about standards and scores or avaliations, without really considering how people express them-selfs.

A- Talking without any flaws, perfect accent and all that, with an extensive vocabulary, but having an apathy vibe towards the public.

B- Not being perfect on how you talk, or how extensive/complex is your vocabulary, but having a vibrant and clear touch with the public and having your message understood.

Most important characters in history are remarkable for the B, not A. Like someone said earlier, if you talk too "fancy", you might take the risk of sounding elitist and arrogant. Not that someone who knows how to talk is automatically arrogant, but I think you know what I truly mean. It's just an(my) opinion.

I can give an awesome presentation about jellybeans...but if I say umm three times I fail.

If you say "um" or "uuuh" a lot it shows lack of confidence, knowledge, or any other negative aspect of communication towards an audience, thus making said presentation weak, not awesome.

When you are awesome, you don't usually say "umm" or "uuh" because mostly you would show excitment in most cases, right? You love jellybeans, you are making a speech about them, you try to bond to people throw your speech. The same way a president addresses the nation about his "jellybeans". lol

I'm sorry but your post makes no sense to me..."Doesn't matter the content..."?

I said that to isolate speech technique discussion, and the subjects Obama was talking about. The subjects are obviously important, but we were discussing the technique in his speech, which, personally, I don't think was 8th grade level.

It was a fluid speech, easy to listen to, and he even joked a bit in the middle, lifting it up a knot or two.

That's what I meant by "the content doesn't matter". It was just something my teachers used to say to me when I was younger... "Sometimes it's more important what you say (meaning) than how you say it (method)".

Regards

Wow...that was a long, well thought out response!

I think your explanation clears up that nicely...thanks for making a effort to explain what was hard to understand at first!

Okay...now a few questions of my own!

What do you teach (in reference to your personal approach...)?

I only ask because of things like this...

Is this a question that ends with ":" instead of "?"?

I won't be as long winded as you in my response and I hope you can understand your first post was misleading and seemed reckless!

I don't think I am the only one that went "huh" when I read it!

Anyway...well thought out and lucid response!

For the record...I should also mention that I don't use "umm" or "uhh" when delivering a speech...I was using the example hypothetically!

Oh yes...one more question!

What is this word supposed to mean?

avaliations

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Okay...now a few questions of my own!

What do you teach (in reference to your personal approach...)?

I only ask because of things like this...

Is this a question that ends with ":" instead of "?"?

Oh, I'm not a teacher. Sorry if I sent that notion, I was only mentioning my past when I was a student in school, and I had 2 teachers who once told me that (I don't remember the context of such episode though, but that phrase got stuck in my mind).

As for the question with the ":", that's my native language getting in the way. Semantics are a bit different, and although I try to have a good english level, sometimes my brain uses the speech mechanism from my native language, instead of english, which may seem somewhat confusing to english native speakers.

I won't be as long winded as you in my response and I hope you can understand your first post was misleading and seemed reckless!

I don't think I am the only one that went "huh" when I read it!

Anyway...well thought out and lucid response!

For the record...I should also mention that I don't use "umm" or "uhh" when delivering a speech...I was using the example hypothetically!

Sure, I understand. Actually I'm pretty much aware how my posts sometimes get interpreted by other members who have better english than me. Even jokes that don't have a emoticon at the end, or a "lol" are often seen as arrogant or something along those lines. Thus my effort to improve my english.

Oh yes...one more question!

What is this word supposed to mean?

"avaliations"

That's pretty embarrassing. lol

That's a perfect example of my portuguese-speaking part of the brain taking over and mixing both languages, instead of separating them. The word I meant was "evaluations".

In portuguese it's "avaliações" in plural, and "avaliação" in singular.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Tifozi

Once again you have cleared up your post...and I am understanding you better!

As far as an English speaking tongue...I too use English as a second language and primarily speak Spanish!

So sometimes shutting one off and replacing it with another keeps my mind busy!

For example...someone might post "especial'...and I automatically read it as "special" its Spanish equivalent!

Anyway...thanks for clearing up what I had difficulty understanding!

As far as the POTUS and his speech...it makes sense that it came across well to someone who does not speak English as their native language and certainly well if your English is only at an 8th grade level!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

LOL, I know the feeling. Portuguese and spanish are similar.

I have the same issue actually.

"especial" in portuguese also means special, the difference is just in the accent. You guys "press" on the E, while we give connotation to the I.

But for example, "espAcial" means "space", as in "space program"...

Just a letter and it has a whole different meaning.
edit on 27/1/12 by Tifozi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Tifozi

Asi que es muy cierto!

They are very close...Spanish and Portuguese...do people still speak Pigeon in Portugal...I always wondered about that?

The President's State Of The Union Address is watched in Portugal...that is awesome!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

That's just completely inexcusable and lame!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I don't think what level it was really matters - they are talking about the language and at 8th grade - language is really pretty developed. It's certainly not baby talk.

The content was what I took issue with. It was on communicating with the braindead masses level.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I do not see what the problem. Make the language as plain and simple as possible. The more complicated your terminology , the more likely for a loop-hole in the future. Keep it simple .. straight forward .. and to the point.

edit on 30-1-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join