It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of the Union registers at 8th grade reading level

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
neobludragon

I think hes confused on what he is. He wants to be hip and cool so he gets more votes, but at the same time a president. He doesn't realize that he can't have both. Its like juggling two girls at once, one gives you sex and the other actually listens and gives you guy time. So the guy chooses the sex and loses a great girl. Same instance here. Obama chooses to be for the people and well he's becoming more like the average American. Which I think is why he is making so many mistakes. He needs to just be a president and stop having the mindset of wanting to be cool.

Flesch-Kincaid Score: 4.3

Dilweed:

There's zero doubt in my mind that this was by design. They aren't trying to reach people that can think for themselves, because they know that's a dead end. The only people who support this guy are those that don't make an honest living. They either rely on govt. assistance in one form or another, or teach. (badly) His biggest block of voters are unemployed.

Flexh-Kincaid Score: 5.2

Vogon42

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but here in the US I believe most newspapers, and magazines are intentionally written at a Jr High to early high school reading level.

I had a boss once who was so annoyed with not being able to understand my e-mails he told me I had to put the text in MS word, and do a reading level check.

My boss, and co workers all agreed with the Jr High level reading for newspapers/ mags.

He would not let me send the e-mails until I could get them down to at least high school level.

(Thats not easy to do when you work in a technology field at a fortune 500 company)

Try explaining the CSMA/CD aspect of ethernet, and keep it to a high school level

Flesch-Kincaid Score: 9.6

Newcovenant:

Yes, money puts you above human suffering ...or more accurately puts you in places where you don't see it. Precisely why Princess Diana took pains to expose her sons to the poor, so they would understand how fortunate they were. So by deductive and logical reasoning the unemployed and the poorest among us are the most empathetic to the needs of others. Doesn't it figure? Like we did not already know that! Unemployment is the biggest problem the country has right now yet some people are blaming the unemployed themselves.

Flech-Kincaid Score: 8.0

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Hence the viscous, and I stress the word viscous since it is what it is an intended calculated and deliberate trick, VISCOUS - creating a cycle which is in turn creating the mess that is America today. Our rich don't care and yet they have a lot of troubled, struggling and frustrated citizens fooled into siding with them, parroting their causes. Lured there with the smell of money and false promises of equality. It is a scam and it is working.

Time to break the mold folks.
edit on 26-1-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

Dude... I agree with some of what you stated, but you really need to correct this part. No one with a brain will take you seriously. Especially when you highlight your error with bold and CAPS...

What, are you talking about oil or water? Am I really the only one who noticed this?

A bit ironic considering this post started out talking about the failing education system...
edit on 26-1-2012 by ShockTruther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Well he was making his address to Congressmen and Senators after all.

You have to tailor your speech to fit the audience...

Result
Method used: Flesch-Kincaid (English).

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 7.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 66.

standards-schmandards

Cool tool. I didn't think I would score that high with just a two line responce.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Sweet Jesus, this thread is a #ing JOKE.

Now we are attacking people because they want to talk in a way EVERYONE can understand rather than throw around a bunch of buzzwords and confuse the majority?

I bet if the speech was any "smarter" you'd complain that they were inconsiderate.

Just another thread created by a guy so bored he has to attack SOMETHING.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

You know where talking about Americans right?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Ranking: 8 George W. Bush
Words per sentence: 19.0
Average grade level: 10.4

Source.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

neobludragon

I think hes confused on what he is. He wants to be hip and cool so he gets more votes, but at the same time a president. He doesn't realize that he can't have both. Its like juggling two girls at once, one gives you sex and the other actually listens and gives you guy time. So the guy chooses the sex and loses a great girl. Same instance here. Obama chooses to be for the people and well he's becoming more like the average American. Which I think is why he is making so many mistakes. He needs to just be a president and stop having the mindset of wanting to be cool.

Flesch-Kincaid Score: 4.3

Dilweed:

There's zero doubt in my mind that this was by design. They aren't trying to reach people that can think for themselves, because they know that's a dead end. The only people who support this guy are those that don't make an honest living. They either rely on govt. assistance in one form or another, or teach. (badly) His biggest block of voters are unemployed.

Flexh-Kincaid Score: 5.2

Vogon42

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but here in the US I believe most newspapers, and magazines are intentionally written at a Jr High to early high school reading level.

I had a boss once who was so annoyed with not being able to understand my e-mails he told me I had to put the text in MS word, and do a reading level check.

My boss, and co workers all agreed with the Jr High level reading for newspapers/ mags.

He would not let me send the e-mails until I could get them down to at least high school level.

(Thats not easy to do when you work in a technology field at a fortune 500 company)

Try explaining the CSMA/CD aspect of ethernet, and keep it to a high school level

Flesch-Kincaid Score: 9.6

Newcovenant:

Yes, money puts you above human suffering ...or more accurately puts you in places where you don't see it. Precisely why Princess Diana took pains to expose her sons to the poor, so they would understand how fortunate they were. So by deductive and logical reasoning the unemployed and the poorest among us are the most empathetic to the needs of others. Doesn't it figure? Like we did not already know that! Unemployment is the biggest problem the country has right now yet some people are blaming the unemployed themselves.

Flech-Kincaid Score: 8.0

When I put mine in myself I got this
Result

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 68.

The Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score indicates how easy a text is to read. A high score implies an easy text. In comparison comics typically score around 90 while legalese can get a score below 10.

The Flesch-Kincaid Grade level indicates the grade a person will have to have reached to be able to understand the text. E.g. a grade level of 7 means that a seventh grader will be able to understand the text.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Just for perspective; when i was still in school one of my marketing communication classes taught us that it is common practice to make sure anything written for the general public should not be above a 6th grade reading level. When you really think about it the population as a whole is really under educated, and some probably still had trouble comprehending the message of the address.

Also:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 18.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 25.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Oh good one, kind sir. Very good.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by schuyler

Well he was making his address to Congressmen and Senators after all.

You have to tailor your speech to fit the audience...

Result

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 66.

standards-schmandards

Cool tool. I didn't think I would score that high with just a two line responce.

You didn't. A valid sample has to be at least 100 words long. Flesch-Kincaid is one of many readability formulas in use, and it's not the most valid one either. The better readability formulas have a list of words to bounce against, and the formulas are validated using real-world testing. The new Dale-Chall is probably the best one out there, but the tradeoff is that it's more difficult to compute.

I wrote the best selling Readability program fro the Apple ][ and the IBM PC in the eighties. It was published by Micro Power & Light out of Dallas, Texas. I wouldn't put too much stock in the scores. I was just kind of making fun of the posts to show people what level they were writing at.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Tifozi

No one is "making up formulas" to determine if something is "intelligent" or not. It's a readability scale that can be used for education purposes.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by diddlydo

If people in the USA couldn't understand his speech then they are borderline mentally retarded. It was extremely simple. If people REALLY do not comprehend what he was saying then we have an educational crisis.
edit on 1/26/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I can't believe anyone isn't seeing this as a problem. If the general public have to be talked to with only words with small syllables then we have a cognitive ability CRISIS in this country.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

No wonder I had a hard time following it!

It was too dumb...that makes sense!

In reality though...this is sad...our president should (I use should lightly here) be someone to look up to and to appeal to the majority of the country...and instead we have one who talks to us like we are all 13 years old...awesome!

Obama is superior and everyone else is dumb...so I need to talk to them like they are dumb!

Behind the scenes Obama thinks we all have a 2nd grade math education too...as the national debt and spending continues...I can almost hear him chuckling..."These guys will never figure this out..."!

Great thread OP...S & F 'ed!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Newspeak is closely based on English but has a greatly reduced and simplified vocabulary and grammar. This suits the totalitarian regime of the Party, whose aim is to make any alternative thinking—"thoughtcrime", or "crimethink" in the newest edition of Newspeak—impossible by removing any words or possible constructs which describe the ideas of freedom, rebellion and so on. One character, Syme, says admiringly of the shrinking volume of the new dictionary: "It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."

en.wikipedia.org...

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tifozi
What I find hilarious is that there are people making up ratings to how well someone expresses it's ideas.

I thought that expressing yourself in a manner that everyone can understand was a good thing. I did hear the whole speech, and honestly, anyone could understand what was being said. Doesn't matter the content, the message was clear and went through.

Anyway, it's more important what you say, than how you say it.

Huh?

Like when your in public speaking class in college and your graded solely on one thing...like how many times you said umm...or uhhh...is that what you mean?

I can give an awesome presentation about jellybeans...but if I say umm three times I fail.

I'm sorry but your post makes no sense to me..."Doesn't matter the content..."?

Surly your you meant this as a joke?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

your averages fail to mention gw had one speech at a 7th grade level. someone must have told him he was sounding too dumb. obama, on the other hand, someones probably intentionally telling him to dumb it down.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Well said.

Even educated people can dumb down their speeches.

This is the best way to reach the uneducated masses.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

If people REALLY not comprehend what he was saying then we have an educational crisis.

I think what you meant to say is if people "DO NOT" comprehend what he is saying......

This proves the educational crisis.

I am not arguing with you, just saying that 8th grade reading level is the norm for most MSM.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

If people REALLY not comprehend what he was saying then we have an educational crisis.

I think what you meant to say is if people "DO NOT" comprehend what he is saying......

This proves the educational crisis.

I am not arguing with you, just saying that 8th grade reading level is the norm for most MSM.

Classic...nice catch!

I am still laughing...

Seems 8th grade might have been a bit advanced when addressing the American public!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join