It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favorite reading material?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
If I am not reading online books I am reading one I have or I find one second hand

I like to read on Ancient Egypt, pyramid theories, ufos, extraterrestrials, any ancient civilization and anything space/Nasa related, esp Mars

I am currently reading the "Giza Power Plant" book. I buy a lot of books at second hand shops. I find a nice variety of books too. I even like to pick up math books so I can keep my brain active in that area.

As for what I have read and enjoy. I have read most of Anne Rice's stuff and I have read all of Shakepeare's works in one form or another.

As for magazines, if I get my hands on the science ones those I keep. I used to get National Geographic and I loved that magazine, it got too expensive so I just read it online.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I've been a huge fan of F.Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series of novels.

Repairman Jack lives totally off the grid in New York City and takes on problem solving for good people in trouble who can't go to the police or use other traditional methods.

What's cool about every story is there's always an other worldly twist were Jack is stuck in the middle of two cosmic forces at war with one another.

I highly recommend his writings for any ATS members.

edit on 1/26/2012 by dezertdog because: grammar

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
I am prolly gonna pick up "Fire & Ice" and "Game of Thrones". I watched a cpl episodes on HBO but I heard the books were better.

-SAP-

I recommend watching the shows before reading the books.
The shows are great...and the books are always better than any show/movie. This is without exception, all books = far better.

So, if you watch the shows first, then read the books, you will very much enjoy both...if you read the books, then watch the shows, you will be very upset that they snipped out this, or that, or barely even touched on this major important thing, etc etc etc.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Oh, and my bad
The last real "book" I read was World War Z.
I call it a real book and not just some random trashy sci-fi book because it is the one zombie book you should read if you were to only read a single zombie book in your life.

This is akin to..if you were to only read one book (or series) on fantasy, it should be lord of the rings.
If you ever were to read one book (or series) on vampires, it should be Anne Rice's series (things did start going silly around Memnoch the devil however)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Check out Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. 18 novels and counting.

Plum is a bail bonds woman who gets into some seriously hilarious situations.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I am prolly gonna pick up "Fire & Ice" and "Game of Thrones". I watched a cpl episodes on HBO but I heard the books were better.

-SAP-

I recommend watching the shows before reading the books.
The shows are great...and the books are always better than any show/movie. This is without exception, all books = far better.

So, if you watch the shows first, then read the books, you will very much enjoy both...if you read the books, then watch the shows, you will be very upset that they snipped out this, or that, or barely even touched on this major important thing, etc etc etc.

Yeah thats understandable. I'll watch season one first and just continue as the series continues lol. Seems like a good story though. I am into the fantasy stuff as you prolly noticed lol.

-SAP-

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by IFeelForty
dean koontz,

My favorite author! I read Watchers over and over! Love it! And Strangers! OMG!

I read all of Dean Koontz books when I was at university (so by all I mean everything upto 94ish), and loved them for their trashiness...and character predictability, always the mysterious, emotionally scared man, and his dog (a Retriever I think), and his love interest, who was generally a virgin, or otherwise sexually repressed in someway. Great, fanstastic plots though! Watchers was my favourite...and was it Whispers, or Whispers in the Dark? Something like that.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Kindle is a great idea wish I would have came up with that lol. I should pick one up one of these pay days.

-SAP-

My brother has one, and they are very nice but it wasn't until I found out that you can annotate the texts that I became seriously tempted...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

When i surf, i read what is posted on the web-sites, the opinions, the history, it not about books on the web, it maybe the the new reader formats, e-books same as a book but less weigth, just an e-book reader app, i-pad, kindles, and the like. you can carry over hundreds of titles, and not need a forklift.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

LONG time Fan of the Lord of the Rings Series! If you havent read any yet, read Kurt Vonnegut. Breakfast of champions is my favorite. He has written so many books and is the best storie teller i have ever met. If you looking for something deep, check out anything by Ram Dass. He is my favorite western spiritual teacher. Happy Reading

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King,

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (1982)
The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three (1987)
The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands (1991)
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)—Locus Award nominee, 1998[5]
The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (2003)—Locus Award nominee, 2004[6]
The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah (2004)—Locus Award nominee, 2005[7]
The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower (2004)—British Fantasy Award winner, 2005[7]
The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole (2012)

I only read this series of books because a friend practically forced them on me! and i am sooooo glad she did. i'd never read a stephen king book before and for some reason i was weary to start them, probably because it was 7 books lol.
But I started to read them and became hooked from the beginning, my friend said ''the first books is the least interesting'' i just thought how could it get any better, i'm aready hooked.

All i can say is that reading those books was a real mind opener, i started reading them in jan 2011 and finished them in august 2011. During the first half of 2011 i was not in any way aware of the conspiracies/truth that ats forums discuss, but around october last year i then started to see the world in a different view, one where i actually started to question events that have occurred throughout history/present times. I'm only 4 months into my ''truth seeking'' but i can see the connections the dark tower series has with so much of the issues and injustices that we are experiencing now and possible events still to occur.

I felt just about every emotion going when i was reading these books, now i'm just waiting for the end of April 2012 when installment 4.5 the wind through the willows is released.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is great! Starts with "Wizards First Rule" and it's written for adults in a violent but beautiful world of dying magic, I'd recommend them.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well first of all OP, I am with you on The Hobbit. That was my all time favorite book. My mom read it to me when I was around 6 years old, and I was reading it myself again by 9.

I also LOVE Piers Anthony.
His Xanth series and his Incarnations of Immortality series were AWESOME books.

A few other books I loved:
A canticle for Lebowitz-I dont remember the author, but the book left me feeling very old and dusty.
Z Is for Zacharia, again no author, but it was about a girl who found herself trying to survive on her farm after a nuclear war.

Lets see....
Hands of Light, Barbara ann Brennon I think.
Also her next book, Light Emerging.
Dannon Brinkly's From Beyond I think was the name.
James Van Praagh's Heaven and Earth.
The Eagle and the Rose, by Rose Mary Altea (Or it is Mary Rose Altea)

ummmmmm......

Oh! The Celestine Prophecy! I can't forget that one either! That one was a very good book.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join