It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does gravity always create a sphere?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Some say the moon was rocky debris that gravity made into a sphere which now orbits our planet. Indeed, all the planets and suns [that we are aware of] appear to be spherical; as is our planet.

So why does gravity create spheres? What is it about gravity that makes a sphere the easiest or best prospect?
Could this be key in understanding and then manipulating gravity?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
Some say the moon was rocky debris that gravity made into a sphere which now orbits our planet. Indeed, all the planets and suns [that we are aware of] appear to be spherical; as is our planet.

So why does gravity create spheres? What is it about gravity that makes a sphere the easiest or best prospect?

Because gravity is equal in all 3 dimensional directions.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
and why would that make a sphere?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

A sphere is the smallest shape you can make.
With the material you have...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The reason planets appear spherical is because gravity compresses the planet into a shape that most evenly distributes the gravitational force among the planet’s mass.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I see. even a perfect sphere? gravity would smooth it that way?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

and why would that make a sphere?

Because its attracting matter to collect in one spot from all directions.

Imagine if it tried to create a cube. Mass creates gravity. If it were a cube, then the gravity would be unevenly distributed and the cube would just collapse on itself and create a sphere anyway.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
well, thats my point..why not a cube?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
As much as it could yes, obviously depending on size etc there is bound to be some undulation on the planet depending on what it is made of..

further..

Whether it is shaping water droplets, stars, soap bubbles or planets, nature seeks to minimize the surface area needed to contain a given volume, and the shape that keeps volume at the absolute minimum a sphere.

Any object in weightless space larger than a couple of hundred miles in diameter has enough mass for its gravity to overcome large-scale irregularities and force it into a spherical shape. This gravitational compression also generates significant amounts of heat at the center of the planet. This heat melts, or at least softens, any solid materials within the planet, facilitating the planet’s collapse into a spherical shape.

Objects in space smaller than about 100 miles in diameter, such as most asteroids, comet nuclei and small moons, lack the mass to create a gravitational field strong enough to compress themselves into spheres. so they have odd looking shapes instead.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

That's been answered like 4 times already.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
basically gravity pulls things to a central point and its also not a perfect sphere

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Because matter, where two edges meet, will have less of a gravitational force than in the center of the sides and will be pulled to the center where the gravity is greater until the pull from one side is equal to the pull on another. THEN, you have stability which comes in the shape of a sphere.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

When things are being recollected into a combined or compound form they tend to turn to spheres when being spun, so maybe the Universe is spinning* like the lab devices that spin material of bio to study and the gravity is just the holding mechanisim..

edit on 1/26/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
It don't, the earth is not round or even pear shaped as some people think. The earth is an oblate spheroid which is bulging at the equator due to density-variations, gravity, and centrifugal-force.

And here is a map of earth gravity field, it is far from spherical.

edit on 26-1-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Are you reading the replies?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Maybe if the Universe was stationary in movements and only moved up and down left and rignt?!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by definity
it don't, the earth is not round or even pear shaped as some people think, The earth isn't really pear-shaped and it isn't a sphere either. The earth is an oblate spheroid which is bulging at the equator due to density-variations, gravity, and centrifugal-force.

And here is a map of earth gravity field, it is far from spherical.

Its getting there.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Are you reading the replies?

I am, mr friendly,but i wanted to learn a bit more.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by r3axion

That's been answered like 4 times already.

like 4? is that quantum physics?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
OK, thank you for answering that question for me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join