Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Newt Promises 'Permanent US Base on Moon' if he's Elected: (now we're talking!)

page: 8
4
<< 5  6  7   >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Sheesh, that's one big non sequitur. Why do we need to calculate ANYTHING regarding black holes to reach not deep space but near-Earth orbit and objects?

If we cannot even solve some of the theoretical problems of physics regarding celestial bodies in outer space, how do we ever plan to deal with the multitudes of problems when it comes to space travel and living in space?

Permanent moon base? That's funny. The fittest and strongest astronauts can barely crawl when they get home after a year aboard the ISS due to the physiological and bone degeneration that occurs when you are not in a 1G habitat.


Originally posted by buddhasystemWhat a stupid thing to say.


I'm sure in 100+ years when NASA will finally attempt a manned mission to Mars, it won't sound so stupid to you. And that was a typo of mine I forgot to edit. I meant the future of space travel is nanotechnology and robotics, not manned travel.
edit on 4-2-2012 by Diablos because: (no reason given)
edit on 4-2-2012 by Diablos because: (no reason given)




posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
To the moon with whose money? Politicians are always generous spenders when it's not their own savings they're spending!

Gingrich is just another CFR neoconservative hell-bent on warring.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012
 



Eurisko, I admire your enthusiasm.

Yes, the ISS, that they, they being governments, built. Maybe if the ISS had looked more like the "2001" wheel, I would warm to the idea of a moon base by 2020...even 2015. BTW I should be retired by then, so would you kindly accept my application for my fantasy job as a lunar bartender, mixing drinks and wise counsel at Moon Base Alpha 1 ?

During all my years on Earth, the one characteristic shared by politicians was their love of hearing themselves talk. I don't doubt Newt's high intellectual capacity. His patriotism led him to public service (and discovering wives as past astronomers discovered planets), but I find his mind curiously similar to those gigantic clouds of gas that spawn suns and planets, most of which are devoid of life. Most of his ideas are devoid of reality, but he does love to put them forth.

IMO Newt would do himself and us a favor if he worked on a science fiction novel about his ideas for the Moon. Imagine Newtlandia, the 51st state!

Oh, anybody remember the billboards in space idea? (Not Newt's BTW)

Eurisko, keep on trucking! Oh, and I think you need a lunar webcam at MBA1, so I can see the goings on and be there vicariously.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72
 


a moon base and Colony would cost trillions if not billions of tax payers money.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by anon72
 


I think it's kind of funny that Gingrich would like to put up a permanent, multi billion dollar facility on the moon, in less than 8 years..


You think somebody in the audience was all like:

" Should somebody tell him we never went back to the moon?! "

More campaign rhetoric, there's no way to pay for this space program, and he'd end up susidizing the private space industry, and we all know how that works outwell for us in the end.

Florida is a big space state and all the other candidates, other than Ron Paul will probably say what ammounts to the same kind of plan that this guy has.

~Tenth


Newt can do it in 8 years or Less because we never left the Moon. The Moon Hoax theories were to distract people from the truth that we not only went, we set up camp and stayed. This would be the farthest from anyone's mind.

The Luna base will be a Military base. It's probably half up already. Think about it. The US has an aggressive nature. What foothold did they ever get their hands in they did not exploit in some way? Hawaii, Panama, Iraq - It makes zero sense that the US went to the moon, looked around, collected some samples and said " Well, we are done here.. time to go home and not come back for 40 years" That is not in the US's nature.

There's a very good reason why no one has an answer for why we didn't go back to the moon. Because that is the silliest notion going. I challenge anyone to prove we left and never went back. Can't be done. I have no proof for my theory but it makes more sense than anything else.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by anon72
 


a moon base and Colony would cost trillions if not billions of tax payers money.


Money is easy to come by. The Gov just prints whatever they want and no one bats an eye. On Sept 10th 2001 Donald Rumsfeld holds a press conference stating that 2.3 trillion dollars has disappeared they cannot account for. On Sept 11 2001 an invisible plane hits the Pentagon destroying the computers and records that had the only leads to where this money could have gone as well as 60 top employees who's job it was to track such things. How convenient.



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Diablos
 





If we cannot even solve some of the theoretical problems of physics regarding celestial bodies in outer space, how do we ever plan to deal with the multitudes of problems when it comes to space travel and living in space?


Why would we need to solve theoretical celestial problems for human spaceflight? These two areas are unrelated, and space flight is mostly practical engineering.




Permanent moon base? That's funny. The fittest and strongest astronauts can barely crawl when they get home after a year aboard the ISS due to the physiological and bone degeneration that occurs when you are not in a 1G habitat.


Not funny at all. Individual astronauts could spend 6 months or less on the Moon, the same as on the ISS. They would also be better off than ISS astonauts because of weak lunar gravity.
edit on 5/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diablos

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Sheesh, that's one big non sequitur. Why do we need to calculate ANYTHING regarding black holes to reach not deep space but near-Earth orbit and objects?

If we cannot even solve some of the theoretical problems of physics regarding celestial bodies in outer space, how do we ever plan to deal with the multitudes of problems when it comes to space travel and living in space?


Maslo already answered this, but I want to throw in a comparison -- what you are saying sounds like we shouldn't work on safe and efficient antibiotics until all cancer is cured.


Permanent moon base? That's funny. The fittest and strongest astronauts can barely crawl when they get home after a year aboard the ISS due to the physiological and bone degeneration that occurs when you are not in a 1G habitat.


I was just thinking that if the colonists are indeed engaged in some useful activity (such as building the base, hauling construction materials etc), they can still get quite a workout on the Moon. Come to think of it, they can lift an equivalent of 200lbs of rocks and move it around. There is still gravity and they would be out of confines of the pretty limited space inside a typical capsule or even orbital station.



posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert
reply to post by Eurisko2012
 



Eurisko, I admire your enthusiasm.

Yes, the ISS, that they, they being governments, built. Maybe if the ISS had looked more like the "2001" wheel, I would warm to the idea of a moon base by 2020...even 2015. BTW I should be retired by then, so would you kindly accept my application for my fantasy job as a lunar bartender, mixing drinks and wise counsel at Moon Base Alpha 1 ?

During all my years on Earth, the one characteristic shared by politicians was their love of hearing themselves talk. I don't doubt Newt's high intellectual capacity. His patriotism led him to public service (and discovering wives as past astronomers discovered planets), but I find his mind curiously similar to those gigantic clouds of gas that spawn suns and planets, most of which are devoid of life. Most of his ideas are devoid of reality, but he does love to put them forth.

IMO Newt would do himself and us a favor if he worked on a science fiction novel about his ideas for the Moon. Imagine Newtlandia, the 51st state!

Oh, anybody remember the billboards in space idea? (Not Newt's BTW)

Eurisko, keep on trucking! Oh, and I think you need a lunar webcam at MBA1, so I can see the goings on and be there vicariously.


Yes, of course there will be broadband webcams all around the Lunar 1 Colony to attract

the tourists. It looks like Verizon will shoot the FiOS Triple Play to the moon.

Actually, the FiOS will be transmitted to an orbiting Lunar Space Station and then

relayed down to the colony. You'll be the first hired employee!
-----
BTW, the moon won't be a 51st state. It will just be another USA territory like Guam.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by Diablos
 





If we cannot even solve some of the theoretical problems of physics regarding celestial bodies in outer space, how do we ever plan to deal with the multitudes of problems when it comes to space travel and living in space?


Why would we need to solve theoretical celestial problems for human spaceflight? These two areas are unrelated, and space flight is mostly practical engineering.




Permanent moon base? That's funny. The fittest and strongest astronauts can barely crawl when they get home after a year aboard the ISS due to the physiological and bone degeneration that occurs when you are not in a 1G habitat.


Not funny at all. Individual astronauts could spend 6 months or less on the Moon, the same as on the ISS. They would also be better off than ISS astonauts because of weak lunar gravity.
edit on 5/2/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)


I think the toilets will work better with the weak gravity.

Swimming in a Marriott Hotel swimming pool with 1/6th gravity will take awhile to get

used to. We will probably need some of that Area 51 technology to make in more

feasible for the tourists to enjoy themselves.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
I think the toilets will work better with the weak gravity.


I doubt it, they won't flush very well.


Swimming in a Marriott Hotel swimming pool with 1/6th gravity will take awhile to get used to.


You will have much less buoyancy and will likely drown.


We will probably need some of that Area 51 technology to make in more feasible for the tourists to enjoy themselves.


Just think of all these alien s3x toys in Area 51, which can be placed in guest rooms in a lunar hotel! I get your drift.



posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem
 


I could tread water much easier with 1/6 th gravity.

I'm ready to give it a try. By going to the bottom and jumping up i should be able to

launch myself out of the pool!






top topics



 
4
<< 5  6  7   >>

log in

join