It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newt Promises 'Permanent US Base on Moon' if he's Elected: (now we're talking!)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I can just picture Newt racking his brain over how to get a look in on all the conspiracy forum traffic Ron Paul generates.

Nice try Newt. For a nation reliant on Russia for space travel... Moon Base... good one. Now, kindly, drop out.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

According to the Miami Herald, Gingrich said: 'By the end of my second term. We will have the first permanent base on the moon and it will be American... Does that mean I'm visionary? You betcha.' He added: 'We clearly have the capacity that Chinese and the Russians will never come anywhere close to us.'

The absurdity of his assertion that there could be a permanent base on the moon by the end of his "second term" is bad enough, but the fact that his language puts so much importance on a moon base being AMERICAN even makes him sound like more of an assh*le. His arrogance knows no bounds. And too many American SUCKERS fall for this b.s. because they are more interested in being American bad asses than they are with reality.

The scenario he presents is a farce to begin with, but even if there were some sliver of hope that what he proposes could happen, it would only serve to show that America will continue on it's destructive path of having to be the KING OF THE UNIVERSE even to the moon.

I wish someone would strap that windbag to a rocket and shoot him to the Milky Way and into a black hole.

edit on 30-1-2012 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0
I can just picture Newt racking his brain over how to get a look in on all the conspiracy forum traffic Ron Paul generates.

Nice try Newt. For a nation reliant on Russia for space travel... Moon Base... good one. Now, kindly, drop out.

THANK YOU!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pr0t0

The Space Shuttle 2.0 is on the way.

Think 10 years ahead not 10 minutes ahead.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Experts Say Gingrich Moon Base Dreams Not Lunacy

We could do it, maybe not 2020, but 2025 for sure. Money and technology would not be a big problem. The only thing lacking is political will.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

We could do it, maybe not 2020, but 2025 for sure. Money and technology would not be a big problem. The only thing lacking is political will.

My guess is 2015.

All of that Area 51 technology is going to come in handy.
------
After the moon then it's off to the asteroid belt that is between Mars and Jupiter.

Our base out there. - Ceres - Check it out on Wikipedia.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I dont have a problem with the idea... my problem however is that right now, today, it is unrealistic and foolish.

We are still in the depression/recession depending on who you ask. Times have not improved. People are still losing their homes, people still can not find work, our deficit is out of control and no one wants to cut actual spending.

Where is the money for this project going to come from?

If we have a balanced budget in 8 years, I would support this idea 100%. We won't. Not with Gingrich. Not with Romney, and not with Obama. This is just more wasteful spending at this point.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

How do you figure money wont be a problem in 2025? Have you seen the deficit? Without drastic cuts in spending, which every front runner will not cut, the deficit can not be paid off. My great grand children will be paying off this debt (and I am not a grandfather now). So how do you figure that money wont be a problem?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I dont have a problem with the idea... my problem however is that right now, today, it is unrealistic and foolish.

We are still in the depression/recession depending on who you ask. Times have not improved. People are still losing their homes, people still can not find work, our deficit is out of control and no one wants to cut actual spending.

Where is the money for this project going to come from?

If we have a balanced budget in 8 years, I would support this idea 100%. We won't. Not with Gingrich. Not with Romney, and not with Obama. This is just more wasteful spending at this point.

The funding will come from the private sector.

They are NOT broke.

We already have 2 spaceports. 1 in New Mexico - Spaceport America -

1 in California - The Mojave Air & Space Port

From a certain point of view, we are already on our way there!

---------

Can you imagine walking outside during a full moon and seeing a big green Apple logo on
the surface of the moon for advertising?

Apple is sitting on $100 Billion!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

this is more of an example to me that newt is on board with spending tons of money on things that won't help any economic, social or war/peace struggle problems. it would be a great distraction though.
edit on 2/1/2012 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
They are NOT broke.

I see a huge gap in logic between these two sentences. OK, they are not broke. But why exactly money WILL come from the private sector? It hasn't before. The Composite Materials/Virgin Galactic venture is very interesting, but they are nowhere near capitalization needed to develop Moon capability -- there is no clarity on whether they will even achieve LEO flight.

That point of view is excessively naive (complete with hopes that Area 51 will serve as technical base for lunar program).

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
reply to post by anon72

this is more of an example to me that newt is on board with spending tons of money on things that won't help any economic, social or war/peace struggle problems. it would be a great distraction though.
edit on 2/1/2012 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

Newt is already on record saying the - private sector - would do it with a little help from
the government. The US government might give them a phone call. " Watch out for
space junk over here and other there!"

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

They are NOT broke.

I see a huge gap in logic between these two sentences. OK, they are not broke. But why exactly money WILL come from the private sector? It hasn't before. The Composite Materials/Virgin Galactic venture is very interesting, but they are nowhere near capitalization needed to develop Moon capability -- there is no clarity on whether they will even achieve LEO flight.

That point of view is excessively naive (complete with hopes that Area 51 will serve as technical base for lunar program).

You appear to have your head stuck in the rear view mirror.

We are moving forward. Go check out the webpages for Spaceport America &
The Mojave Air and Space Port. Business is booming.

The moon is only 238,000 miles away. I want to get there before the Chinese. - Helium-3-

It would probably be a great idea if you would stop dreaming up reasons why we

should just forget the whole thing.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

being on the moon just doesn't capture my vote, i'm more concerned about getting it right on earth.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

We are moving forward. Go check out the webpages for Spaceport America &
The Mojave Air and Space Port. Business is booming.

Can you quote any ETA for low orbit flight from any of these agencies?

The moon is only 238,000 miles away. I want to get there before the Chinese.

I don't care what you want. Reality is reality.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Newt is already on record saying the - private sector - would do it with a little help from
the government.

If the private sector is going to do it, they will do it with or without Newt.
Thanks for pointing out Newt is a Non Factor .

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

the government.

If the private sector is going to do it, they will do it with or without Newt.
Thanks for pointing out Newt is a Non Factor .

Have the government warn us about the space junk flying around up there.

We will handle the rest. We have a - can do - attitude.
-----
It's a lot better than, hey everybody....lets just forget the whole thing.

Anybody even suggesting such a thing should be shouted down and silenced.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

For every person initiating change there are a 1,000 to resist him.

Thanks a lot.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

reply to post by buddhasystem

For every person initiating change there are a 1,000 to resist him.

For every person who talks sense, there are 1,000 bags of hot airs. Wait, if we count Newt, its' 1001.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

So how do you figure that money wont be a problem?

Because you would have the same rhetoric no matter how much is spent on space. Once again, the truth is, the money would be negligible. In 2012, NASA manned spaceflight budget accounted for 0.21 % of federal budget. It is a problem of political will, not money. If there was even a little political will, cuts could easily be made somewhere else.

We already have 2 spaceports. 1 in New Mexico - Spaceport America - 1 in California - The Mojave Air & Space Port

Its not a spaceport in my book unless the craft achieves stable orbit. Suborbital flights are closer to aeroplanes than spaceships. Without government funding, there will be no manned spaceflight for a long time to come.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join