It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newt Promises 'Permanent US Base on Moon' if he's Elected: (now we're talking!)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Moonbat Newt at it again.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by Xygoat

Private sector companies will provide tourism and lunar colonies on the moon.

That translates into GDP growth.

no, it translates into votes for the crook, and then broken promises later

he was in florida when he made this promise....

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
So he means private companies (SpaceX, Bigelow, ULA etc.), but payed for by public money. That is indeed plausible (even tough I doubt the 2020 date in current financial situation, as that would surely require increased space budgets). I do think that as a space enthusiast, Newt knows what he is talking about in this area, regardless of his other opinions.

There are 10,000 space enthusiasts here in ATS with more expertise than Newt will ever have.

His gambit with "private" whereas he's trying to avoid saying "public" is laughable. He knows it's a non-starter, the United States can't bankroll a huge program like that one any time soon. But in any case, I strongly believe he doesn't care. This was a PR moment with no foundation in reality or common sense. I do despise this sleazeball.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

His gambit with "private" whereas he's trying to avoid saying "public" is laughable.

He knows it's a non-starter, the United States can't bankroll a huge program like that one any time soon.

But in any case, I strongly believe he doesn't care. This was a PR moment with no foundation in reality or common sense. I do despise this sleazeball.

the Federal Reserve is bailing out the EU right now to the tune of $10Trillion (over & beyond the ~$800Billion rescues already spent)

so whats another $5-10 Trillion to the USA... if the USA can convince the rest of the planet to 'believe' in IT...
then the whole System won't collapse... it will survive on the 'Wing and a Prayer' antidote

the unity of a Moon Base might just let the whole corrupt system to stay alive another 20-30 years !
edit on 28-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Writer: PORTER, COLE
Performed by Frank Sinatra

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On a, Jupiter and Mars
In other words, hold my hand
In other words, baby, kiss me

Fill my heart with song
And let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

Fill my heart with song
Let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, in other words
I love you.

I like the idea of space exploration. Still unsure on Newt, however.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It's certainly an idea..

But Newt won't ever be able to slam Obama on the bail outs after saying this. If we thought TARP was bad..
But what's more debt that we won't ever pay off anyways?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

this is horrible, now the human race ( and all it's wars, destructive and self destructive natures ) will reach beyond earth

until we can do things right on earth we shouldn't try to do anything anywhere else
edit on 1/28/2012 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
the Federal Reserve is bailing out the EU right now to the tune of $10Trillion (over & beyond the ~$800Billion rescues already spent)

You seem to be saying that the US is making a donation of $10T to EU. I call bovine detritus on this statement.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

He knows it's a non-starter, the United States can't bankroll a huge program like that one any time soon.

The US certainly can afford it. We are talking about maybe 10 billion a year channeled to spaceflight, its peanuts in bigger picture. The opposition is purely political, and thats where president with such agenda could change things.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

The US certainly can afford it. We are talking about maybe 10 billion a year channeled to spaceflight, its peanuts in bigger picture. The opposition is purely political, and thats where president with such agenda could change things.

I must correct myself, what I meant was that the US cannot afford it in public perception, where everyone and their grandma is screaming big government and cut cut cut.

At the same time, every billion does matter, and there is only so much that can be realistically channeled to science and research.

And the number you quote is highly unrealistic. The Shuttle program cost nearly $200B over its 30 year duration. Just operation cost for the shuttle was $5B annual in 2005. Think about it. Lunar station is an enterprise that is a few orders of magnitude more complex and costly.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
star and flag for anon72.....

I did listen to the debate from Florida and every debate thus far. I was very interested and hopeful when Newt spoke about re-energizing our space programs! I am an old lady now, but back in the day when our space program was taking off I cannot tell you of the excitement this caused all of us. Not only the excitement of reaching out to find new wonders, but patriotism, so proud of our people and our country.

Believe me I do understand that the US is broke and does not have the money to subsidize such a program now, but I did not get the impression from Newt's speech that he was talking about the government funding of the new program. It sounded to me as though he was looking for a "competitive space program based on prize money incentive." This could be investors from the private sector.

Our young people need to be excited about a goal such as this. All I see now are our young people finding out how to get food stamps, and isn't it wonderful that they can live with mommy and daddy and even be covered by their insurance. Or even if they do have work, most of them can't wait until they retire.

Our young people should be our life's blood! Give them a chance for a goal with excitement and team work.

How about all of the people who would be put to work. A place for all of our young people coming out of college. A reason for our young people going into college to take more serious courses,..math and science. Our country is in a depression and I do not mean only the economy.

There is also work to be had by opening up natural resources. This would be a benefit to all of us. Again, opening natural resources is good for our country to be independent, but thinking of those young people again, we need technicians and others to make it safe for our country and our earth as we open these resources.

We need new ideas and grand goals. We are Americans!

Mahree

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mahree
It sounded to me as though he was looking for a "competitive space program based on prize money incentive." This could be investors from the private sector.

There are at least two salient points here:

a) the impossible 9 year timeline for having a colony on the Moon, completely unrealistic just from technological standpoint
b) Having investors what would cough up let's say $150B (and likely more) to fund an extremely risky venture

a+b = "Newt is talking nonsense, beware this guy"

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I thought the Naval Space Command already used the Moon as a Coffee stop, on their way to the stars?

Space ship..No problems, the Chinese will build it for the US, like everything else.
Theres a little factory in downtown Shanghai, that makes the new London Olympics mascot....
The Slaves, x I mean workers, work 11 hours per day, with no days off. They work an Astonishing 358 hours per month for $140.00. they get around 40 cents pay per hour.

They will build your spaceships Newt!!

Wasnt Newt the only girl survivor of the Aliens attack, in Aliens 2 ?? Who calls their child Newt???

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Cripes people are gullible. What is wrong with all of you? Newt Gingrich might give you a full moon, but he's not putting anyone on the moon and certainly no colony. He's pandering to the weak and the stupid, apparently he got some of ya.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by anon72

I was watching him say that, and this thought came to me. Why would he say a thing like that, if he did not think it could actually happen? After all, Newt is pulling out all the stops to appear to be telling the truth, and is spending money like mad hiding his past and fooling the people. Why would he say that if he did not think it possible? The only thing that answers this is: The Lunar Base is already there, already build with your tax dollars. Make sense?
Could America even afford a Moon Mission right now?

Funny, because he didn't answer a single question truthfully.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

And the number you quote is highly unrealistic. The Shuttle program cost nearly $200B over its 30 year duration. Just operation cost for the shuttle was $5B annual in 2005. Think about it. Lunar station is an enterprise that is a few orders of magnitude more complex and costly.

My number is what would have to be added on top of already present NASA human spaceflight budget, bringing the total to some 20-25 billion a year. Also, shuttle had poor bang for the buck, and was overly complex itself. Newt proposes utilising private companies and military launchers, which is the most efficient way to do it. Under these considerations, it is certainly realistic (but still, I doubt the 2020 date for a base).
edit on 29/1/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/1/12 by Maslo because: correction

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

It sounded to me as though he was looking for a "competitive space program based on prize money incentive." This could be investors from the private sector.

OK...I get it.

No sense in even "trying" to do something to bring back our country to the proud and beautiful place it used to be and can be even better now that we have learned so much more. That is a goal, to have a colony on the moon, doesn't anyone believe that working toward that goal is better than just giving up before we start?

Yep... we are better off with this monster government and we would like to see it continue to grow. Why? Because no one has the guts to go back to work. Work is hard, even if you love what you do. In today's world how many young people have actually experienced the satisfaction of a well done job? Everyone is crying, "There are no jobs". Well, here in the space and energy markets are lots of jobs to be made. I admit that is more difficult and takes time so you are probably right. Elect the people who will take care of you and let the brain God gave you die.

Mahree

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

OK...I get it.

I don't think you do.

No sense in even "trying" to do something to bring back our country to the proud and beautiful place it used to be and can be even better now that we have learned so much more.

When you house roof is leaking, it's ill advised to spend you last dollar on caviar. There are tremendous problems in this society that can't be fixed by simply launching a few daring people to a celestial body. It will make you will better momentarily (and so will a spoon of caviar and a glass of champagne) but it would be a waste of money in the long run. I see the continuing increase on income gap and refusal of the politicians and society at large to tackle health care costs (which are completely out of control and are destroying America's competitive advantage) as having more potential to further America's decline than our inability or lack of will to settle the Moon.

That is a goal, to have a colony on the moon, doesn't anyone believe that working toward that goal is better than just giving up before we start?

It's a bad idea to start something you know you won't finish. And it's worse to have pipe dreams about private sector coughing up $200B or $1T to pursue anybody's dreams.

EDIT TO ADD:

I totally agree with you that space travel has a lot of technical, economic and spiritual value for the US. But the system is broken now. It won't perform the task.

edit on 29-1-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

When you house roof is leaking, it's ill advised to spend you last dollar on caviar.

It is, if you then sell the caviar for profit. Which could very well be the case with high-tech spending such as NASA:

er.jsc.nasa.gov...

Not to mention that the Moonbase may cost less than one cent of your last dollar.
edit on 29/1/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

OK...I get it.

I don't think you do.

When you house roof is leaking, it's ill advised to spend you last dollar on caviar. There are tremendous problems in this society that can't be fixed by simply launching a few daring people to a celestial body. It will make you will better momentarily (and so will a spoon of caviar and a glass of champagne) but it would be a waste of money in the long run.

If one had a "job" (in one of the space or energy fields) one might be able to fix that leaking roof. Otherwise does one wait for the government to fix it?

I see the continuing increase on income gap and refusal of the politicians and society at large to tackle health care costs (which are completely out of control and are destroying America's competitive advantage) as having more potential to further America's decline than our inability or lack of will to settle the Moon.

If I understand you correctly...I agree that the health care costs (Obama) are sucking the life out of this economy. Health care needs work obviously, not this way though. All businesses are afraid to do anything because of not knowing exactly the cost of doing business with Obama care.

I don't see that (health care) or (space) are mutually exclusive. Why not both.

I totally agree with you that space travel has a lot of technical, economic and spiritual value for the US. But the system is broken now. It won't perform the task.

I think that this is the exact time to fix the system and that space and energy programs will further that future.

Mahree
edit on 1/29/2012 by Mahree because: Clicked to soon

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join