It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newt Promises 'Permanent US Base on Moon' if he's Elected: (now we're talking!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Gingrich, the former House speaker, told a Florida audience that he wanted to develop a commercial space industry in line with the airline boom of the 1930s, leading to a permanent base on the moon. He also wanted to expand plans for the exploration of Mars. Russia and China would 'not come close', said Gingrich.

According to the Miami Herald, Gingrich said: 'By the end of my second term. We will have the first permanent base on the moon and it will be American... Does that mean I'm visionary? You betcha.' He added: 'We clearly have the capacity that Chinese and the Russians will never come anywhere close to us.'

Gingrich said his plan would benefit 'science, tourism and manufacturing'. Gingrich, a long-time space enthusiast, also said he wanted to expand exploration of Mars, saying NASA could pay for ambitious plans by teaming up with the private sector. The plans are a vote-winner in Florida.

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Here's what I am thinking that I would rather see.... (from the old show Space-1999-awesome show):

Starting to like him a bit more... with this kind of thinking. Sure better than the current administration.

The thing is... I believe him. I think the Space industry is KEY to the USA economic recovery. Is so many ways.

Well. I don't hear anyone else talking about it and for me-this is a top priority. It will be interesting to see who, if anyone else says anything like it.

Maybe Obama will change his tune even... it is an election year.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
By the end of his 2nd term? Isn't he getting a little ahead of himself? He has to get elected to a 1st term first!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I think it's kind of funny that Gingrich would like to put up a permanent, multi billion dollar facility on the moon, in less than 8 years..

You think somebody in the audience was all like:

" Should somebody tell him we never went back to the moon?! "

More campaign rhetoric, there's no way to pay for this space program, and he'd end up susidizing the private space industry, and we all know how that works outwell for us in the end.

Florida is a big space state and all the other candidates, other than Ron Paul will probably say what ammounts to the same kind of plan that this guy has.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Yes, this is what I want to hear.

America was prospering during the Space-race years.
And the NASA inventions during that time is essential in todays world.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

How someone who joined ATS in 2009 can fall for the obvious lies and eternal babble of this pig faced moron is beyond my comprehension. He is the manifestation of corporate greed, dishonesty and disgrace of nowadays US of A.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
why do people fall for this BS erverytime. guess it shows how dumb the voters are.

you don't understand what is necessary to get elected president. you make as many promises as you can that covers as many different groups/aspects of society as possible.

you get elected. you reward the corporate sponsors that bankrolled your campaign.

what about the promises? you ask. oh. they go in the bin.

wake up.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
That would be great, because if that idiot is president I would want to move to the moon.

Ron Paul is the man.

edit on 26-1-2012 by Badkro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
LOL first he'd have to figure out how we're going to get there! Obama killed the space program, I think it'll take a little more than two terms in office to get it up and running again and to get us back to the moon, then we'd have to build the base! LOL

He's not going to be president........... Ever so it makes no difference what he promises!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by anon72

More campaign rhetoric, there's no way to pay for this space program, and he'd end up susidizing the private space industry, and we all know how that works outwell for us in the end.

Just take 25% of the Military Budget.
And you got 120 Billion ( 120 000 000 000 ) per year! right there...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Newt wants a base on the Moon so he can have his "open affairs" away from the camera's.

Newt is sounding more like that Fringe Candidate, that wants to give everybody a Pony.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tomten

125 million would not be enough to paint the building.

You're looking at billions of dollars of R&D, then billions more for production and planning, and then an actual operational budget.

It would be cool, but let's face it. The US is in no place to start colonization project, not until they get their house in order.
edit on 1/26/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I suppose Newt forgets to mention that *HIS CONGRESS* showed absolutely no interest whatsoever in updating or replacing the Shuttle Fleet back when they were already showing their age and their replacement could have been in service and had some time to work the bugs out by the recent time of ending the STS program. What an idiot.

NEWS FLASH for Newt. We can't build a base on the moon because we CANNOT GET THERE. The last vehicle we had with even a marginal ability to be modified to the task is now sitting in museums or mothballed for national archives. We need to invent the system, given the fact Orion never WAS a very hot idea..and Obama killed it before it came to much anyway.

So..... Neat.... a base in 8 years on a surface we can't physically get to with technology that doesn't even exist yet. This isn't the 1960's and he sure as hell isn't Jack Kennedy.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
is this realy the way to get you guy's out of debt,maby the homless and needy peole out of work could do with somthing not so stupid as a moon base

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by tomten

125 million would not be enough to paint the building.

You're looking at billions of dollars of R&D, then billions more for production and planning, and then an actual operational budget.

It would be cool, but let's face it. The US is in no place to start colonization project, not until they get their house in order.
edit on 1/26/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

I did write 120 BILLION per year.
I did not write million.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
All the negativity.....

Sure better than killing most of the Space program.

And, it would give people something to hold agaisnt him if he didn't do anything right off the bat in a first term.

Promoting good karma for the Space Program. Thumbs up......

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I say we send HIM to the Moon.

And we never bring him back.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Not to upset your karma, sorry.

But why would the US want to conquer space?

There so much left here on Earth to conquer.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tomten

Oh lol, my bad on the typo.

Yeah you could use the defense budget, but they won't

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Newt is a politician, he will say whatever he thinks he needs to say.
"yeah, I'm visionary"
How about arrogant, conceited, amoral, disingenuous...yeah, that's Newt.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
if you really want a realistic view on what will happen to the moon. I reckon its a fairly safe bet that it will eventually be turned into a prison.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join