It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Failed My 3rd Driving Test Today

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

reply to post by scotsdavy1

Yea i was indicating to go right (3rd exit), i knew i was right and shouldn't have been failed.

Did you slow down when the car came out of the left exit in front of you, examiner would have watched you like a hawk to see if you were paying attention....
Always use the car you are learning because if you take the test in a car you are not familiar with, it takes you a little time to get used to it and he might think you don't know what you are doing.
Also, make sure you exaggerate looking in the interior mirror, don't just glance at it, plenty of time for that when you pass.
edit on 26-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

That's very true but dont think,that all drivers will do as they are supposed to do. I once went with others up a one way street and found a car coming towards me! I managed to stop in time and helped him reverse out of the road.
Always look in front when you are driving, in that you look way in front and to the sides , always know what is going on around you at all times, concentrate as anything can happen.
You could be driving without a care in the world then a dog or child could suddenly appear in front of you, you have to be ready for anything.
Your instructor was correct if you didn't slow down or even stop, depends on the circumstances. I would have flashed him and gave him the V sign but you can't do that in your test! Lol
Flag for trying and for the future ....

I was going very slowly anyway but i was concentrating more on the roundabout more than anyone else, to be honest i thought that the other driver would have given way to me but i have since found out from my instructor that that roundabout is an "exception to the rules" roundabout so even tho the other driver didnt give way to me that puts me in the wrong for not stopping even tho i was on the roundabout itself.

edit on 26-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

At least in my state its a closed course.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

This also depends on the state. Private companies rule mine. In Pennsylvania, they offer it as a regular class in high school.

In mine, you have to shell out 500 bucks to a private company. If you waited till 18, you didn't have too. That is how I got through without it. Then a few years later they want you to take it, period.

Some of the well off school systems in the country and they somehow can't afford driver's ed. uh huh.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Anyone got any tips to help me calm down before and when i'm taking my test again?

Drink a few beer beforehand.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by snowspirit

I've never heard of that. I'm in california and we do it in public streets so I assumed it was that way for the rest of the country as well.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

i have since found out from my instructor that that roundabout is an "exception to the rules" roundabout so even tho the other driver didnt give way to me that puts me in the wrong for not stopping even tho i was on the roundabout itself.

I've never heard of a roundabout that has any rule apart from "give way to the right".
There are a few "magic roundabouts" around like this one in Swindon

Where the inner roundabout goes counter clockwise, but as far as I know you still give way to the right on those. The only other exception I could think of is where they have traffic lights on the roundabout itself, where you stop at the lights and let the lane on the left in

I failed my test a couple of times too because I was a bundle of nerves, I could drive just fine when I wasn't being tested
edit on 11-4-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

There's a roundabout in Wigan,Lancs. where 2 of the 3 junctions are normal ( give way to the right) but the third has a give way sign on the roundabout itself, so you have to give way to traffic not on the roundabout and approaching from the left. I think this is on one of the routes used by test examiners in Wigan.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Yikes. I've never met a person that failed the driving test. Failing 3 makes me think you should really consider if driving is necessary. Frankly I don't think you should be allowed to test again for a year.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Took mine in NY, was also on the roads. The whole point of the test is to prove you can drive in public, using closed courses kinda defeats the purpose.

As for roundabouts, I hate them, no one knows how to use them. They should all be gotten rid of. Can't count how many times I have almost been killed on the one around here.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I had to take a second look at that picture, and then I remembered where you live

I've been to the Bahamas where they also drive on the left

Very confusing when certain habits have been developed from years and years of driving on the "right" side of the road.
Driving on the side that seems backwards and upside down gives a good challenge. It really makes you pay attention, fully.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

And that is why so many American drivers keep wanting to run me over at intersections, they are clueless of the rules of the road.

It took me three times to pass my driving test in Britain, it was/is very tough. I took my drivers test in Florida, and they had me drive around the parking lot, and parallel park, I could have done it in my sleep, what a joke. No interaction with traffic, no interaction with an intersection, no interaction with pedestrians, no test to see if you could stop quickly, no driving on the freeway, no hill start.

It wasn't a driving test, it was an operating a vehicle test. Almost anyone can operate a car, driving one in traffic is a whole different matter.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Today i failed my 3rd driving test because i had a lapse of observation for a split second.

I was driving perfectly then i got to the Independent Driving part and i was approaching a big roundabout, i was supposed to take the 2nd exit but i missed that and was told to go round again and correct myself, when i was coming back around i didn't see the car on my left flying out of the junction (no indicators or anything) and i didn't give way, even thought the other car was miles away from me i didn't stop and give way
. Nerves got the better of me again.

I got 1 serious fault (above) and 4 minor driver faults.

Anyone got any tips to help me calm down before and when i'm taking my test again?

Have you since passed your test yet?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Lmao my drivers test only made me drive a few side streets in Perry, Ohio and forward and back up not hitting some cones.

Was retarded easy.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

i have since found out from my instructor that that roundabout is an "exception to the rules" roundabout so even tho the other driver didnt give way to me that puts me in the wrong for not stopping even tho i was on the roundabout itself.

I've never heard of a roundabout that has any rule apart from "give way to the right".
There are a few "magic roundabouts" around like this one in Swindon

Where the inner roundabout goes counter clockwise, but as far as I know you still give way to the right on those. The only other exception I could think of is where they have traffic lights on the roundabout itself, where you stop at the lights and let the lane on the left in

I failed my test a couple of times too because I was a bundle of nerves, I could drive just fine when I wasn't being tested
edit on 11-4-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Sweet jesus, I would fail that test. We don't have those around here, LMAO

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

And that is why so many American drivers keep wanting to run me over at intersections, they are clueless of the rules of the road.

False assumption. Most all tests are on public roads. Using a closed course is extremely rare. There is now a trend to have private companies administer the tests. Frankly, that's a fine idea because the Driver Testing Bureaus are noted for their hard-core bureaucracies and extremely long waiting times. To renew a license is a complete headache. Fortunately, you can often do it online these days.

Roundabouts are much more common these days in the US. Any intersection up for construction or a do-over is more likely thsn not going to be a roundabout. Although there is always a bit of griping people are getting more used to them.

However, I consider the Mother of all Roundabouts to be the one in Portsmouth which is a serial triple with an office building in the center of the second one and a railroad trestle going overhead across them all. THAT took some concentration. There's also a devil of a one in Bath at the bottom of the hill opposite the Royal Crescent. That had me going in circles for awhile.

Some years here lately I've put in more miles on British roads than American ones. There are crazy drivers everywhere. No one has a monopoly.
edit on 2/1/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Whoever designed this, should be stabbed, shot, then hung...preferably with rusty nails...while the citizens throw overripe fruit at him while he bleeds out....

edit on 18-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

False assumption

It's not an assumption and nor is it false, I live it everyday. I took the Florida driving test.

Why do California drivers think they don't have to yield at crosswalks? Cause they were never taught to? Or are they just stupid?

Respect the right-of-way of pedestrians. Always stop for any pedestrian crossing at corners or other crosswalks, even if the crosswalk is in the middle of the block, at corners with or without traffic lights, whether or not the crosswalks are marked by painted lines.

www.dmv.ca.gov...

Unless there is a light or a stop sign drivers do not stop for pedestrians....

I have been hit twice by cars who didn't yield when I had the right of way, one was a hit and run, the other paid out $120,000. Don't yield to peds, and you are playing Russian roulette with your wallet, and my life.

Also from a post right above yours...

Originally posted by Mikeyy
Lmao my drivers test only made me drive a few side streets in Perry, Ohio and forward and back up not hitting some cones.

Was retarded easy.

edit on 2/18/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join