It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Failed My 3rd Driving Test Today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Today i failed my 3rd driving test because i had a lapse of observation for a split second.

I was driving perfectly then i got to the Independent Driving part and i was approaching a big roundabout, i was supposed to take the 2nd exit but i missed that and was told to go round again and correct myself, when i was coming back around i didn't see the car on my left flying out of the junction (no indicators or anything) and i didn't give way, even thought the other car was miles away from me i didn't stop and give way
. Nerves got the better of me again.

I got 1 serious fault (above) and 4 minor driver faults.

Anyone got any tips to help me calm down before and when i'm taking my test again?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

If you have a permit, just spend a few hours driving around town to get used to it. The only way to stay calm while driving is to get a good feel for the car and the road.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Hey, you can buy over the counter tablets that calm you down , cant remember any particular brand but my friend got some and he said they helped loads. Best of luck!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
i usually have a few pints before hand, just to keep myself relaxed....it improves my car control too.

sorry, seriously tho the best idea is to get out and about in a motor, not just when your having lessons. plus its cheaper.

edit on 26-1-2012 by MaximinusThrax because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Have someone sit beside while driving and point out things that your are doing wrong, they should only speak when you are doing something wrong, should not give you tips or hints unless you ask, i passed on my 4th test(they were months apart tho)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Drink and drive for a+

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
Today i failed my 3rd driving test because i had a lapse of observation for a split second.

I was driving perfectly then i got to the Independent Driving part and i was approaching a big roundabout, i was supposed to take the 2nd exit but i missed that and was told to go round again and correct myself, when i was coming back around i didn't see the car on my left flying out of the junction (no indicators or anything) and i didn't give way, even thought the other car was miles away from me i didn't stop and give way
. Nerves got the better of me again.

I got 1 serious fault (above) and 4 minor driver faults.

Anyone got any tips to help me calm down before and when i'm taking my test again?

If you were going around a roundabout, drivers on the left have to give way for you and anyone flying out as you said was breaking the law and not you. You would have had to slow down and expect things like this happening because it does all the time, believe you me. You have got to give way to traffic coming from the right on a roundabout.
Did you have your indicator on at the time ready for the second exit?
Don't give up, put it behind you and make sure you are 100% ready the next time. Expect the unexpected.
I have had my car licence for 38 years and class 1 HGV for 35 years and motor bike licence for same time and licence is clean so I do know what I'm talking about.
I failed the first time because I didn't know my hand signals but made sure I knew them backwards the second time and didn't look back, but I did feel like giving up when I failed, most do, but tomorrow is another day. Maybe if that clown hadn't done that you would have passed, wrong place wrong time.
Best of luck for the next time.....

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Do us all a favor and give up....if you are ever able to get it, you will probably be a danger to others health and their property.

For the sake of someone else's kid, you need to walk, bike, or use public transport

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I failed 5 driving tests. It got very frustrating and each time I failed I felt it put more pressure on the next test. It was also expensive.

For my 6th driving test I prepared by cutting of my dreadlocks and I wore a suit. Pass
Im sure the examiners do not judge people by the way they look, I must have just not made any mistakes during that test.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Well one tip for roundabouts, never assume other road users know how to use it properly, sit back, be patient and give way, you wont get marks deducted for being cautious...within reason of course...

As for gaining confidence? Well I drove a tractor before I drove a car but I also started driving cars fairly early too, out in the bush with nothing but trees and the odd errant roo to hit.

Get off the busy roads, become one with the car, understand it and be comfortable in it.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Yea i was indicating to go right (3rd exit), i knew i was right and shouldn't have been failed.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Practice makes perfect.

Get a little bit more experience under your belt and I bet you will feel more confident during the test. Take note of the criticism and work on those points.

Good luck (:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I will let you know a little secret, I failed three times too.

But that is because I skipped drivers ed in my state and was winging it. Finally got a hold of a class book and then did just fine.

It also didn't help that I was taking the test in my friend's Iroq Z with a turbo engine.

I hate tests like that. The more you practise, the more relaxed you get.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Isn't that the truth.
Roundabouts really only started catching on here in the past 15 years.

Counties have figured out its a cheap alternative to an intersection.

So now you have generations of drivers who have no idea how to use them.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Wait, they have you drive in public for the test?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Wait, they have you drive in public for the test?

Where do they do the tests in the states?

In public would be the only place where you can tell that the driver knows how to handle situations.

Up here, we get our learners license with a written test, and then someone over 19 is to be in the car/truck with the person to teach them how to drive in city traffic. The learning driver can then drive anytime as long as they have one (only one) person over 19 with them.

If we go to a driving school to learn, you're in traffic, in public, immediately.

I think there is a restriction now, that says no night time driving until you pass the first driving test.

Practice practice practice......

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Yea i was indicating to go right (3rd exit), i knew i was right and shouldn't have been failed.

Did you slow down when the car came out of the left exit in front of you, examiner would have watched you like a hawk to see if you were paying attention....
Always use the car you are learning because if you take the test in a car you are not familiar with, it takes you a little time to get used to it and he might think you don't know what you are doing.
Also, make sure you exaggerate looking in the interior mirror, don't just glance at it, plenty of time for that when you pass.
edit on 26-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

Did you slow down when the car came out of the left exit in front of you, examiner would have watched you like a hawk to see if you were paying attention....
Always use the car you are learning because if you take the test in a car you are not familiar with, it takes you a little time to get used to it and he might think you don't know what you are doing.
Also, make sure you exaggerate looking in the interior mirror, don't just glance at it, plenty of time for that when you pass.
edit on 26-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

I was going very slowly anyway but i was concentrating more on the roundabout more than anyone else, to be honest i thought that the other driver would have given way to me but i have since found out from my instructor that that roundabout is an "exception to the rules" roundabout so even tho the other driver didnt give way to me that puts me in the wrong for not stopping even tho i was on the roundabout itself.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Never assume that another more experienced driver, is going to behave the way they should.

It's all about avoiding accidents, no matter who is in the wrong. You have to be ready for other drivers that might be distracted, or in a bad mood, or just really bad drivers.

I've even had eye contact with another driver who then pulled out right in front of me, when they were at a stop sign, and I was on a main road. I had to hit the brakes very suddenly to avoid an accident that would have been totally the other person's fault.

You have to watch them all very closely.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

We actually had drivers ed when I was in high scholl here in the states (Wisconsin). It was a mandatory class in my sophmore year.

But somehow they have done away with that nowadays. To the detriment of everyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join