It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake swarm near Santorini Volcano

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
There has been earthquake swarm near Santorini. It was only less than 100 kilometers southwest from Santorini caldera. Strongest was magnitude 5,3. This earthquake swarm happened at depth of 10 km, thats where the magma chamber is.

Santorini has been rumbling long time already, buts its not showing signs of coming eruption, yet. But Santorini is one of most deadliest volcanoes on earth, its almost supervolcano (VEI7). It erupted last time in 1927, but it was just minor explosion. It is believed that volcano demolished whole Minoan Culture. Santorini could also be Atlantis, almost whole island got destroyed by eruption.

Greece current seismicity

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Indications (so far) are that any eruption would be a minor eruption, similar to the 1927 type eruption (rather than the eruption that destroyed Thera).

At this stage there also appears to be no uplifting occuring - in other words nothing to panic about. Yet!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Thanks for posting this, Flavian.

I remember watching a History Channel program about this volcano, but I don't recall hearing anything about the strength of the eruption.

Considering the 1927 eruption, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the greatest, what would it be ranked if it was considered a minor eruption?
Thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by Flavian

Thanks for posting this, Flavian.

I remember watching a History Channel program about this volcano, but I don't recall hearing anything about the strength of the eruption.

Considering the 1927 eruption, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the greatest, what would it be ranked if it was considered a minor eruption?
Thanks in advance.

No problem at all

It is fairly hard to quantify in terms of a 1-10 scale. I would say think on the lines of the current eruptions at Hierro in the Canaries. These eruptions included 4 phreatic explosions and created an cloud 3.2km high. So not great to be next to but not an immediate threat to life either!

A bit more info on Santorini:

It is one of the worlds most violent calderas. There have been over 100 violent explosive eruptions within the last 400,000 years. Of these, at least 12 have produced magma volumes exceeding a couple of cubic kilometres (or put another way, at least 12 on the VEI scale). Of these 12, the last was the eruption of Thera that signalled the end of the Bronze Age.
However, these major explosive blasts appear to be roughly every 20'000 years (fairly regular averages) so in that respect, in theory, there is nothing to worry about for the next 15'000 years or so!
Seismic activity at Santorini seems to be limited to 2 main areas. The first is directly underneath the caldera of Santorini Island and is linked to the volcanic processes that occur there. The second is in the Kolumbo reef area of the island and again is linked to volcanic processes in that location. It is in this second area that most seismic / volcanic activity has occured since the Thera eruption of infamy.

Hopefully that will clear things up a little bit for people. If i was adept at this new fangled technology, i would provide the necessary links. However, as i clearly aren't im afraid you will have to make do with this explanation!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Interesting link, hadn't seen that one before
I usually go with the National Observatory of Athens for Aegean data

Do you have a password to access the "Select area of Interest" ?
That would be helpful to follow Santorini more closely

Never been there, but I have a huge photo of a dark storm coming into the blue water bay with the white houses perched on the cliffs on my office wall

edit on 26-1-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I just felt another quake (I'm located in Crete).

The 5.3 one in the morning woke me up. Gave me the creeps.

Ko3
edit on 26-1-2012 by kid_of_3NKi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

Wow, that last one i just felt, was another >5:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Another quake just happened while i was reading this thread.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

On a purely ,, monetary scale,,, 10,,
history changing,,, 25,,,

Santorini,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Schlemen, found troy 2,,
Santorini took out Troy 1,,
in my opinion.

Me.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Yeah, she's definitely rockin, it seems. If any of you would like to see the webicorder plot for a station there, click here:

bbnet.gein.noa.gr...

I think I may have seen some tremor on yesterday's plot, not sure. And unfortunately, I do not have access to that network, so I cannot comment beyond what we are seeing on that plot
I might try to pull some strings and see if... nah... I've pulled enough strings already to last me several years.

Actually, I have access (and so do you) to the network SANT is on (GE), but I think I have confirmed they are not accepting outside, direct data requests. No streaming info coming off that station to the outside, at least not to the public. It shows no data, yet I know it is producing data, heck just look at the plot.
edit on Thu Jan 26th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

edit on Thu Jan 26th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

"I've pulled enough strings already to last me several years"

common once another pluck or two,,, i told Puterman Santorini would be important,, long time ago,,, last year,i think,, but ya plucking strings can be tiring,,
hang in there old string plucker!,,, lol

edit on 26-1-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Just been looking at webcams around santorini, none of them seem to be updating and some are showing strange (to me) views. I heard it has been active these past few days.

bbnet.gein.noa.gr... this is showing seismic activity in the area, I'm not an expert but it looks quite busy to me, anyone in the area on ats? I understand if it follows past patterns it should only be a minor eruption but if it goes up big it could be very big.
Probably turn out the 'webcam guy' on the island is on holiday...

new topics

top topics

join