It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest event of your life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I’m just curious what the consensus is here for all members young and old. With such a broad range of people all over the globe I’m sure everyone has a memory of a natural event that is big to them. I am from Louisiana so I remember hurricanes as the worst to me personally. Of course Katrina and Rita were memorable however, I was working in Alaska at the time and my house never got touched but my most memorable natural event to me was a visit to Houston Texas when I was 4 or 5 and Hurricane Alicia hit. I remember buildings being blown across he interstate and flooding and tornados. This is the natural disaster that stays in my mind the most. I don’t mean to seem insensitive to those that suffered the Northridge quake, the tsunami in Indonesia, it’s just the most clear in my mind.
What was the most memorable for you?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
That one is easy... The Ice Storm of 2007 that put the Springfield, Mo area off the map entirely for the latter half of January and a fair part of February for some people. That was as close as I ever needed to come to true catastrophe to know preparation isn't just for paranoid people.

I couldn't have properly imagined the reality of 10-14 days without electricity (Across the entire area) without living through it. So many little things and aspects one just can't anticipate.....and wow..was that one to teach lessons!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
My most memorable natural event was when I was on Attu Island in Alaska, and a "small" storm blew in. There was wind gust over 180mph. I watched water spouts form coming off the side of a mountain. I probably saw 30-40 of them be created and go off into the ocean. It was unbelievable.

I was where the red arrow is.

I was in the top floor of this building watching out the windows.

edit on 26-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

wow .. i worked in alaska (north slope) i was always amazed by the weather there. I always wanted to go the islands. what were you doing there?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
A couple of years back I was in the kitchen and it was a rainy day, my wife had just gotten home and I was making pizza for dinner.
I had just finished what I believed was my "pizza resitance".

This pizza was perfect, and I knew it would taste great.
I figured it would take about 15 minutes to bake, so off I ran to the shower.
As I am getting out of the shower I realized that I was in a bit longer than I should have been and my perfect pizza was overcooked, not burned, just a bit overcooked.
That was the biggest event that came to my mind.

Many might think Hmmm, that's a weird thing.

Here is my Explanation,

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The biggest event for us all is still on his way

2nd
Happy Days

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

that's a great post and a great little diagram

thanks

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

not quite what i was asking...more of natural disaster area...but made me smile

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Hurricane Katrina when I lived in MS. Most devastation I have EVER seen with my own eyes and power outtage for weeks. Wind was unbelievable, trees down, houses gone, etc....

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The Halloween Blizzard of 1991.

It dumped 3 1/2 feet of snow on Duluth MN, where I was living.
The entire city was shut down for 3 days, and much of it was not operational for weeks after.

I walked to a gas station in the middle of the storm and could not believe how bad everything was. The next morning my mom called me and I had to walk 3 blocks in snow up past my nose in some places to get to her house. It was a 2 story duplex and both the front and back was completely covered in a giant snow drift. I had to almost tunnel to the door and dig it out. It was a crazy storm!

The Halloween Blizzard was a period of heavy snowfall and ice accumulation that affected parts of the Upper Midwest of the United States, from October 31 to November 3, 1991. Over the last week of October 1991 a large storm system over the Atlantic Ocean (1991 Perfect Storm) blocked most of the weather patterns over the eastern half of the United States, and in turn moisture from the Gulf of Mexico was funneled straight northward over the affected region. By the time the precipitation stopped falling many cities in the eastern half of Minnesota and northwestern Wisconsin had witnessed record early-season snowfall accumulations, while parts of southern Minnesota and northern Iowa were crippled by a large ice storm. Arctic air that was pulled southward behind the storm had combined with the heavy snow pack to produce many record low temperatures. Between the blizzard and the ice storm 22 people were killed and over 100 were injured.[1]

Wikilink:en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I was stationed in guam in the mid 90's and a typhoon hit while I was golfing. Thankfully the hole I was on was right by my dorm. Anyway, super high winds and tons of rain that flooded everything on that small island. Anderson AFB used to be a B52 during Vietnam and we had one that was near the main gate that was bolted to the ground. This particular typhoon took this B52 and moved it 20'-40' as if it were a kids toy. Keep in mind that an empty empty B52 weighs Approximately 190K pounds plus it was bolted down on Huge concrete blocks.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I actually have two events, because one was as a child and one as an adult. As a child I was playing in the yard with friends. It was a lovely afternoon in Massachussetts, when suddenly the ground trembled. We ran for my back steps, and stood there as the earthquake happened. At that time I suddenly realized how large the earth was and how small and insignificant I, a child, was. I realized the enormity of the vast earth and how it could swallow me up.
As an adult I still remember Hurricane Ivan in Pensacola. I still recall the winds shrieking, the house shaking, the water pouring through the ceiling fans in the ceiling. Most especially I recall walking out of the house the next morning to an alien landscape. Trees down everywhere. Pensacola lost an estimated 40% of its trees in that hurricane.No electricity for a month, no running water for three weeks, no land lines or cell phones for 3 weeks. Yes, I still remember .
edit on 26-1-2012 by Elienne because: (no reason given)

top topics

join