It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Grief Could Be Characterized As A Disorder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
For big pharma of course.

Grief Could Join List of Disorders

When does a broken heart become a diagnosis?

In a bitter skirmish over the definition of depression, a new report contends that a proposed change to the diagnosis would characterize grieving as a disorder and greatly increase the number of people treated for it.

Freaking psychiatrists sellouts to big pharma... the more people are drugged, the better according to them.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Your source claims that 'more and more' people will be 'treated' for grief. Treatment means medication....medication means money. Meantime the grieving individual is unable to go through the difficult grieving process. Imagine the emotional conflict if told your broken heart is actually a broken mind.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
You can guarantee that some male Psychopath from TPTB made this one up for the convenience of the Psychopaths in power.

So when their partner dies by natural causes of course or a sudden suicide, they won't have to fake sadness and best of all will be able to marry their next victim immediately. This now being socially acceptable.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
"You must take these pills for grief"
"Bite me.."

Most people will fall for it, Just like they have stuff for 'stress' even though most stress is caused by the world around us. Wether or not we admit it or not, things across the world effect people across the world.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
My brother just committed suicide. Now im usually a very level non emotional person, and i kept it together when everyone around me was falling apart. It was when i was alone i lost it. And i hate to say it but if it were not those Xanax and Valium that was given to me it would have been worse im sure of it.

so week later and i feel the same i don't fear death and it sucks my brother choose to go out like that, but without the meds my family wouldn't have made it. not me, my dad uncles sister mom cousins didn't take it well he was only 30.

i do not support medicating like we do in america at all. but there is a time and place for everything

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
There is just something really wrong with that. A child who loses a parent isn't going to go back to normal in a month's time; a person who loses a partner after 30 years isn't going to be happy-go-lucky again in a month.

Why is it that these people are determined to make perfectly normal, natural human behavior a disorder?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
There is just something really wrong with that. A child who loses a parent isn't going to go back to normal in a month's time; a person who loses a partner after 30 years isn't going to be happy-go-lucky again in a month.

Why is it that these people are determined to make perfectly normal, natural human behavior a disorder?

Money
Profit.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

this is sick.
seriously.
if anyone had any doubts about big pharma, this should put them to rest.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I've been griefing over my fathers death the day it happened 16 years ago, I was only 7.

I do not have a disorder, for sure don't need medication and went to a few psychiatrists as a kid and teenage years to help cope with it, which it didn't.

You don't need any of this for grief, what you need is to surround yourself with the people that love you. Believe me that IS the medication you need.

Peace

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

While there are plenty of psychiatrists that pretty much get their paycheck from pushing pills, that certainly wouldn't be the case with all of them. In fact, psychiatrists mainly treat bipolar disorders and schizophrenia. That's certainly not all of the disorders that would cross their paths of course. Those are just the two disorders that do absolutely need medication and would not improve with therapy alone. So the problem will be if we would have grieved people going to a psychiatrist for depression in the first place. Psychiatrists aren't psychologists. They aren't trained to listen to how you feel and provide therapy without pills. In that case a psychiatrist could do the proper thing and refer you to therapy, but many would unfortunately just push an anti-depressant at you. That's why it's important to differentiate between psychiatrists, psychologists, or counselors.

The DSM has been used as the basic reference for psychologists and psychiatrists for years. It used to list that it was an average for a grieving person to grieve for 6 months or so, and then time would begin to heal so to speak, and symptoms/natural grieving would begin to slowly subside. Now, it's been changed to 3 months, which I think is really pushing it. That's getting ridiculous. So from my knowledge, grief was already set up and ready to be considered a disorder under the guise of depression - that is, if it went on for "too long". Now in caring and practical world, a good psychologist would just sense that perhaps their patient was being hit hard by their loss and that their grief was long and the suffering was carrying over into depression as well. A good psychologist would continue with therapy and if they thought it was for the BEST interest of the patient after long term grief, than they may refer them to a psychiatrists for anti-depressants.

My closing point is that we should not assume all mental health professionals are out to get us. And knowing the difference between who is the "pill pusher" (psychiatrists) and the licensed "therapist" (psychologist, counselors, etc) is highly valuable in getting yourself the right treatment. In most cases these people are going to be showing up of their own free will for therapy anyway.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
For big pharma of course.

Not just 'big pharma'. Many actually WANT a medicalisation of what is bothering them. It suggests that it's not within their power to fix (and of course there is a pill to fix it). Plus it sounds a lot more impressive if you can tell people me/my child/the family dog suffers from 'X' syndrome. I'm 61 and in the last 20 years I've seen all sorts of normal human conditions given a fancy name.
You see people in the oddly named 'health' stores in the UK seeking pills or potions for everything. If they just got off their lardy backsides they could probably fix themselves.
edit on 26-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

yes I agree.
it was a generalization, but the big pharma definatley feed the flames sort of speak.
soon age will be classified as a disored, imagine if you will:
teenage disorder
mid life disorder
menapoause disorder
old people disorder...

oh sorry we actually have those.
how about gender disorder.
ohh, that too.

its ridiculous.
the body and mind are a self healing mechanism.
you are never going to trump it.
not with anything.
maybe just assist it.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Ridiculousness like this truly disturbs me....

Everyone has grief to some extent in their lives no matter how trivial or major . This is a NORM in life.

The prob is *imo* the whOle system is screwed up - from Big Bro to Pharma to you can just about name it!
...How I most certainly can diagnose THEM . They are the ones needing labeled and treatment!

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I think if someone is unable to let go and cannot eventually come out of the grieving process, then perhaps meds would be justified, but not for normal grieving.
The grief cycle is a well known cycle.
Why mess it up with medications unless like I said, you cannot let go?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if we lived in a more community-minded world whether depression would fall or not. Maybe our privatized, fast paced, individualized world is isolating us from each other?

But these disorders can be linked to chemical imbalances in the brain. Is it nature or nurture?

But I think what many people here miss is that people WANT DRUGS. They want an easy answer for their emotional issues. This is coming from the patients as much as it's coming from greed. This ever turning machine we term civilization is always pushing us, and I'm afraid it can cause us to be impatient too.

There's a lot of wonderful art that probably wouldn't exist if the artist wasn't allowed to be moody. I'm a firm believer that what makes humans HUMAN inc the full-range of our emotions. I wouldn't want to live in a world where everybody is a happy-go-lucky or a never-keep-him-down or a go-getter! or so on. This isn't because I value imperfection. It's because I think we're too restricted in our abilities to judge the system without error. Our estimations are almost sure to be wrong in many regards. Perfection is only a dream.

I mean it when I say that one day people will control their emotions with nanobots and computer chips. People like us that want to feel the full range of emotions will either be frowned on or forced to transition. We will be called backwards and neo-luddite and old fashioned just because we value our humanity.

This is the start of a novel. Who wants to write it? Should we let the future write it for us?
edit on 27-1-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

join