It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archeologists Discover Ancient Metropolis Beneath St. Louis

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I have been given to understand that egyptian like artifacts have been associated with some of the mounds.
The ones i read about were in Cairo (not sure what state that is)
If this is correct, then the primitive world was not so primitive as we have been given to believe.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
I agree the title is misleading.

however, its not my title. I used the articles title.

Non scientifically trained journalists are one of life's unpleasant pests......but they do try their best!

reply to post by stirling

Sorry no known connections between AE and native North Americans - a lot of fringe noise on this but no evidence
edit on 26/1/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Just as a general addition to the thread, I have seen the mounds- some years back. I have also seen similar mounds in Minnesota- the northern part of the state- in fact in Lake Itasca State Park. For those who don't know where or what that is, it is the source of the Mighty Mississippi river. A quick walk along one of the many hiking trails will reveal many mounds in the woods, some as high as 15 feet. The mounds in the state park are about 800 years old, according to the park ranger I talked to. That would mean they were created sometime during the late 1100's to the 1200's. (AD)

This society must have been much larger than anyone knows. Sure makes you wonder, doesn't it?

SK
edit on 1/26/2012 by SweetKarma because: date correction

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Is he related to Fred Durst? Not to derail, but man he looks just like him. . .

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Is that why the "great prophet John Smith" said missouri was the Jerusalem
Of the new world?

Maybe the Mormons are right, along with god being a great white salamander, secret underwear, and Jesus lives on planet COBOL?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TropicKandie

title is misleading since the mounds are in IL not st.louis MO

Beat me to it. I'm a St. Louisan myself.

The Cahokia culture did use some of the caves underneath what is now St. Louis, though, for some rituals and burials -- thinking it as related to spirits and the underworld.

There were once a few mounds here on the MO side of the river. I'm sure you've heard the nickname "Mound City" in reference to St. Louis? (if you've lived here a while at least)

ETA
East St. Louis, IL needs to be bulldozed. Strip joints and murders and drugs are what it's known for. I say excavate the entire place and good riddance.

I've been to the mounds several times. The main one, "Monk's Mound" is gigantic. There is also a wooden henge at the site aligned with the solstices and stars. The visitors center is very interesting and I bought a replica of one of the pipes they used--in the shape of an over-sized big toe (with nail and joint carved on it.
)
edit on 1/26/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thepupils

Really? You need to make fun of someone's religion right in the middle of an interesting thread?

FYI: His name is Joseph Smith, and it's Kolob.

If you have any questions about the LDS faith, please PM me or go to mormon.org.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by calmbutwary

Really? You need to make fun of someone's religion right in the middle of an interesting thread?

He must have been a Lamanite!
edit on 26/1/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Cairo is in the southern tip of Illinois. I'm from Southern IL and there are indian mounds scattered throughout the area. One is not too far from where I live and sits in the middle of a farmer's field. They just farm around it, as it is a protected site. You may have heard about Kincaid Mounds which is an ancient Indian settlement in the lower part of the state.
I'm not sure about Egyptian type artifacts being found, but Southern IL is known as Little Egypt.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by emaildogs

The destruction of Native American culture and our ignorant acceptance of the situation is the true American tragedy. ( and conspiracy!)

Sorry, but don't go all bleeding heart on me here...yes tragedy...but it was going to happen whether Brits...or Spaniards...or some other future expanding country exploring new territory, this fertile virgin land was destined to become something else, Live with it.

edit on 26-1-2012 by Andronian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wow! It's just amazing. My grandmother used to tell stories about the mound builders and she said they had cities. There's actual proof.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
European-centric American history disgusts me. We're lead to believe that Native histories were dull and unassuming, that they were simply barbarians who never achieved anything special. How can we look at historical sites such as this one and still carry forth thinking such? We fail miserably in knowing the history of this land. One day, perhaps we'll have significant portions of our schooling years dedicated to learning the ancient histories of the Native peoples who were here first, learning our country's true past instead of casting them off as simpletons.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The site could have been abandoned due to disease.

A British Submarine Commander wrote a book saying the Chinese found America first, long before Columbus.

They could have accidentally introduced a disease to the indians in America collapsing some of their civilizations.

en.wikipedia.org...

Only the chinese dynasty back then was sending massive armada's out to discover the world. And he explains the maps showing America long before Columbus...were from the Chinese.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
For all of our American friends, i have just been reading that latest DNA tests show that Native Americans came from the Altai mountain range in Siberia - walking across the Bering Straits at some point around 13'000 years ago. This is a hugely siginificant discovery.

For anyone interested, the article is on the Daily Mail website - and before any of you say it, i know, Daily Fail.
Still, definitely worth checking out. The testing appears to be have been carried out by the University of Pennsylvania and is in todays edition of the American Journal of Human Genetics.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Right, i am probably doing this totally wrong but the link should be:
www.dailymail.co.uk... l" target="_blank" class="postlink">www.dailymail.co.uk...

Whilst it has been long suspected that the land bridge was the most obvious entrance point to the Americas, this study provides the proof. More than this, it shows the actual area that Native Americans originated from.

Oh, and for any native Americans out here in ATS land, the Altai mountains have at least one very important historic person also from there - Genghis Khan! Actually though, what is far cooler is that new finds are being discovered all the time in this area, really pushing back our knowledge of early man.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by calmbutwary

FYI: His name is Joseph Smith, and it's Kolob.

If you have any questions about the LDS faith, please PM me or go to mormon.org.

So was J.S into ancient ruins of st. Louis? It's a joke people, lighten up.

It is a valid question. Did j.s know about some ancient civ. And knew it was similar to Egyptian? Thats when the angel maroni led him to the golden tablets that were buried in a mound?

It actually is a valid question and isn't off topic, would anyone like to give me input into this theory?
Or is it just easier to send me to Mormon.org and not come up with an answer to my question?

Typical religious sheep behavior...

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

I was under the impression the tablets were found out west, not in the central part of the US where these mounds are. If im wrong my apologies, but thats what I remember seeing.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

You insult me but want me to answer your questions? Love it.

I directed you to mormon.org so you could find answers for yourself. You know how one thing leads to another? I didn't want to hijack the thread. That is all.

Anyway, the Angel Moroni showed Joseph Smith the brass plates buried in a hill (Cumorah) in upstate New York. If you were to peruse the Book of Mormon you would see the Egyptian connection. I do not know if Joseph Smith ever saw the Cahokia mounds. I suppose it is possible.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It seems the society that created the mounds was spread throughout Illinois and the surrounding states. Here is a link to an article describing additional mounds in northern Illinois which had been discovered in the early 20th century and then forgotten for nearly 100 years. It's pretty amazing they weren't bulldozed for an office park www.dailyherald.com...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Archeologists Discover Ancient Metropolis Beneath St. Louis

Cahokia, IL (KPLR)— Patrick Durst isn`t digging for gold, but he found the tool that could have done so, a few thousand years ago.

'This would be fastened or left onto a handle a stick and used for agriculture,' says Patrick Durst showing a digging tool that looks like it was made yesterday.

It`s been a virtual goldmine for archeologists at the old stockyards in East St. Louis. For the past four years they`ve been uncovering artifacts as work progresses on the new Mississippi River Bridge.

'It's sort of an unparalleled opportunity to investigate a very large portion of a major metropolitan system major residential complex in the Midwest,' says Durst.

Durst and a team of 80 archeologists have determined that from 900ad to 1200ad, as many as 3500 people lived where the stockyards stood. And like nearby Cahokia Mounds, this site might have had more.

'At one time historically there were anywhere from 40 to 50 mounds documented and associate it in this area with the site,' says Durst. 'Throughout history, starting with the civil war, those sites actually became level due to some of the industry and railroad expansion in the East St. Louis area.'

They`ve unearthed evidence that a sophisticated sprawling metropolis stretched for eight miles on both sides of the river.

Cahokia was an incredible civilization. The ballpark estimate of the population around the year 1400 was about 40,000 people Compared to roughly 20,000 or so IN LONDON. Although these are both estimates derived largely from the archeological record...there wasn't exactly a census in europe or the americas in the 1400's. Still... amazing isn't it?

Although...this isn't really a new discovery at all. The French monks who founded St. Louis began the earliest excavations on it in the 1700's.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join