It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Florida Expecting More Homelessness???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Just wondering here....

Homeless Bills Targeting Pro Sports Teams Make Legislative Rounds
miami.cbslocal.com...

they want to force them to use their stadiums as homeless shelters.....
and....
the team management agreed to this in 1988???

and, here's the big one...

they have taken more than $270 million in state aid over the years???
while paying thier star players how much money???

by the way, the original law was made back in 88, there was more than 8,000 people living on the streets.
there are now less than 800.
maybe they are just desparate to get money, since this is an either or threat, either provide the shelter, or pay the money back....

either way, the Miami Dolphins might not be living in Miami much longer, maybe....
edit on 26-1-2012 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Sounds to me like it isn't really needed with the numbers involved, but it will give them a priceless opportunity. It will let authorities learn and work the bugs out of turning major venues into residential holding centers. Katrina and the Super Dome wasn't really a decent test, unless what NOT to do is what they were trying for.

I've always thought that approach.....using the stadiums and major event locations....is far more likely than the idea of big FEMA camps to handle the vast majority of people. The camps, if they exist..to the extent they exist.. would only have room for the most hardcore anyway. Yet..every major area has a stadium nearby with what? 20-30,000 capacity, of no one cares too much about comfort and conditions? Interesting story here.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Maybe it was to be used as the super dome was during Katrina. Not sure of the details, but I did hear a snip it on the news locally, here in fort lauderdale.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
Just wondering here....

Homeless Bills Targeting Pro Sports Teams Make Legislative Rounds
miami.cbslocal.com...

by the way, the original law was made back in 88, there was more than 8,000 people living on the streets.
there are now less than 800.
maybe they are just desparate to get money, since this is an either or threat, either provide the shelter, or pay the money back....

either way, the Miami Dolphins might not be living in Miami much longer, maybe....
edit on 26-1-2012 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

how firm are you with your 800 homeless in Miami. while wiki doesnt come out and say how many people are homeless I think one can venture to say the the number is ever increasing and the warmer climate is drawing a crowd and Miami has an indigent tourist population, all of which appeal to an open hand
from Wiki

Miami, Florida's Community Partnership for Homeless launched a national outreach program in 2008 to help other communities throughout the United States address homelessness. Since its inception in 1993, CPH has served nearly 76,000 residents with a successful outplacement rate of nearly 62 percent in Miami-Dade County, Florida. The number of homeless people in the county has declined by 83 percent. The national program shares CPH's model of Homeless Assistance Centers, job training programs, on-site childcare, housing assistance and more.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

that was the number that was given in the article....
it also says most of them don't really want any help...and I believe it was a quote from someone against the idea of making the stadiums be homeless shelters.

more than likely, florida just needs the $$$$, and could care less about the homeless shelters.
but the story was just so odd to me....
it's no surprise to me that the teams are given this much money... I knew NY had given alot also.
but the idea that they actually attached it to homeless shelters kind of surprised me....
and then they sat around for close to 30 years and didn't enforce the law...
kind of like a hidden timebomb waiting to go off...
and the timing of it going off is rather odd to me...
for the homeless? do they really expect our economy to slide that far that that they will need to start filling the stadiums with people??
or, well, is it for the news laws that they passed, ya know, arrest on a whim, deny all rights to court hearing, strip of citizenship, and deport to non-native country......
or sports stadium....

more than likely they just need the money like just about every other state in the union....

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Thanks for the article. I had no idea the stadium owners were making bank every year as a standby to disaster

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Considering that they just declared Miami to be the worst city to live in, I'm not surprised by this. I saw this article and added it to the thread about the FEMA camps going live in all 50 states by Seabag. I feel that this is one of the warning signs. If they're willing to let the homeless sleep in the rafters of the sports complexes, what would prevent our "leaders" from sending more people to these places in the event of a natural disaster or a "round up"? Florida seems to be a testing ground for encampments and private prisons.

Keep your wits about you, folks. Get a plan together now for when you may be sent to one of these places. There's no way I'm allowing myself to get locked in an astrodome or stadium to get raped or murdered.

new topics

top topics

join