It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-Ray Laser Turns Up the Heat to 3.6 Million Degrees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
An x-ray laser fired at a sample of aluminum has generated temperatures of 3.6 million degrees Fahrenheit — hotter than the sun’s corona.

I'm going to fry the earth to the size of a small prune if you don't give me 1 million dollars

www.wired.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
It almost looks like a doom machine to.
Any way to actually shoot it at something though?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Mmmm does not look like it, I think the distance has to be short to enable a concentrated beam on an (close) object? I think maybe shooting planes for the sky is a bit far off yet...................maybe???

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

If you want something to cook an airborne target, use an MTHEL (Mobile Tactical High Energy Laser). If however you want to do some serious science, then I cannot think of a more worthy past time than using a friggin huge laser like this one to create plasmas of this type.... I have to say, I am impressed, although I am also curious to know how careful they had to be when containing such a strong source of heat. I mean that temperature is pretty much beyond the melting point of EVERYTHING that I can think of, so I am very curious as to how it was all held in place during the experiment.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
True indeed, however I saw in the link that it was only aluminium and only a "poofteenth" thick, I would imagine the heat would not store so well and the whole deal lasted for only a few pulsating moments? Still, that is a # load of heat! Imagine what you could melt!!

new topics

top topics

join