It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal study of Morgellons yields no answers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Federal study of Morgellons yields no answers

www.cbsnews.com

Imagine having the feeling that tiny bugs are crawling on your body, that you have oozing sores and mysterious fibers sprouting from your skin. Sound like a horror movie? Well, at one point several years ago, government doctors were getting up to 20 calls a day from people saying they had such symptoms.
Many of these people were in California and one of that state's U.S. senators, Dianne Feinstein, asked for a scientific study. In 2008, federal health officials began to study people saying they were affected by this freakish condition called Morgellons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I know that this topic has been bandied about here on ATS for years, and to be honest I don't have an opinion other than an interest in finding out what is actually going on...

This latest finding doesn't really settle it for me, and the article itself seems to point to mental illness while they still have a problem trying to categorize this...

So, while the gov't doesn't have any plans on investigating further, I will remain on the fence and hope that something more definitive comes down...

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the update. I too would like to know more about this strange condition. Too many cases are appearing for it to be just a figment of the imagination.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

This latest finding doesn't really settle it for me, and the article itself seems to point to mental illness while they still have a problem trying to categorize this...

It doesn't "seem" to point to it - it's prety explicit:

The study cost nearly $600,000. Its long-awaited results, released Wednesday, conclude that Morgellons exists only in the patients' minds.

"We found no infectious cause," said Mark Eberhard, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official who was part of the 15-member study team.

They found nothing - just like has always been found.

And Matty unfortunately (well fortunately really I guess) large numbers of people with delusions do not make hte delusions real.

This is looking like a serious mental health issue - sadly, again, most western societies are not well set up for such.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MathiasAndrew

no definite answers, yet the article ends...

The CDC is not planning additional study, however. The agency's expertise is in infectious diseases and environmental health problems, and the researchers saw no evidence of that.

"We're not mental health experts," one CDC spokeswoman said.

implying that it's all in their head, yet they cannot confirm this?

eerily reminds me of Agent Orange and Desert Storm syndromes.. which were laughed off and denied... at first...

That's why I am still on the fence..

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Respectfully disagree, I would hope that after spending over half a million that we would get a better answer than, well we can't really categorize it, and hint towards mental illness..

Doesn't really sound like the end to me..

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I'm sure it's not the end - I didn't intend to imply that it was - mental illness is a major problem in the world and there'll be more research into it from that aspect for sure.

As Matty's post intimated there's a lot of people who won't accept the result of this report.

no definite answers, yet the article ends...

The CDC is not planning additional study, however. The agency's expertise is in infectious diseases and environmental health problems, and the researchers saw no evidence of that.

implying that it's all in their head, yet they cannot confirm this?

Well they are not mental health experts - so how would you expect them to confirm it??

I don't know if there is a Federal mental health organisation the equivalent to the CDC in the USA - but I suspect a lot of people complaining of this would resent being studied by them given the trenchant rejections of it as a mental health issue by at least most of the sufferers.

edit on 25-1-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I would just like to see something more definitive... if it is a mental condition, why not pursue it further... and report something more concrete?

This just appears to be dropping the ball since they couldn't find anything with their tests..

I am just a bit more skeptical since the tactic of "it's all in their head" has been used in the past...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Here's a direct link to the CDC study results summary

Morgellons CDC

Full Report

In regards to the cause of this condition, I am still on the fence too. But I do think it's a real skin condition. Maybe it's not infectious but that does not means it doesn't exist.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

i've been skeptical of morgellons too, and i seem to remember a thread maybe a year or two ago that talked about official research being sanctioned in a state because of all the pressure from patients, but then the grant was blocked by washington or something and the research never happened.

i think there is more to it than just a purely mental disorder, but i would like to see some evidence.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Sounds like they're just saying "We don't know what it is, but we know it's not an organism causing it"

Meaning it's not a disease. Not a bug, not a parasite, not a virus, not a cancer, not a deformity.

The CDC doesn't study mental health issues nor really chemical / radiation effects either. The study would be best placed at a health university where doctors, psychologist and chemical/radiation experts can all examine patients.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
In this report as well as in Wikipedia article, there are no pictures.

Claiming that all those sores are from picking and scratching is idiotic. Where are the pictures?

loveforlife.com.au...

Here are some pics. And some conspiracy theory. It will always be a conspiracy theory because if anyone is doing this, they will never admit. We're gonna need another Nuremberg trial soon.

Nanitoides are already in wide use, in cosmetics, food preservation, kitchen utilities, god knows where all.

Notice that word nanitoides has not yet found its place in dictionaries...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
My guess is making all those advanced carbon composites B-2 bombers resulted in the illnesses at the time they sprung up.

You can make that many plastic, boron, carbon planes of that massive size and not expect health effects in the population from all the dust/chemicals/nano particles leached into the atmosphere during production.

I bet if you had a map and plotted these cases around the production plants you'd notice a pattern.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Is anyone else underwhelmed

that the likely culprits causing such horrors

somehow failed to find anything significant or conclusive in their 'study?'

I mean . . . wouldn't that be somewhat akin to

asking the fox to do a study about how to protect the hens from foxes?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Did we read the same article?

Morgellons is exactly what many of us have said from day one…
Delusional Parasitosis.
Though it may be a variation of the classic form of the disease.

The study cost nearly $600,000. Its long-awaited results, released Wednesday, conclude that Morgellons exists only in the patients' minds.

They took fibers from 12 people, which were tested at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. Nothing unusual there, either. Cotton and nylon, mainly — not some kind of organism wriggling out of a patient's body.

Skin lesions were common, but researchers concluded most of them were from scratching.

The reason why the CDC does not want to give it an official designation is just what they said in the last line, they do not deal in mental health issues.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 1/26/2012 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

I would just like to see something more definitive... if it is a mental condition, why not pursue it further... and report something more concrete?

Because CDC is for infectious diseases - no mental health - that's been pointed out already!

I am just a bit more skeptical since the tactic of "it's all in their head" has been used in the past...

Why do you call it a "tactic" - mental health is a real issue for a lot of people, and mostly one that western societies struggle to cope with.

I was raised in New Zealand, where, in the 90's and early 2000's, there was a nationwide drive to de-stigmatise depression - TV ads featuring an iconic All Black, national figures, etc - for over a decade....and that was just for depression - there are a lot of other mental illnesses that will never receive such attention.

If there is a problem with this being labelled as "mental health" then the problem lies with the society IMO - not with the label.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MathiasAndrew
Thanks for the update. I too would like to know more about this strange condition. Too many cases are appearing for it to be just a figment of the imagination.

Read that back. Did you say "Too many cases are appearing for it to be just a figment of the imagination."? Have you any idea how many people on this planet suffer delusions, hallucinations, pshychotic dream state episodes? Have you any idea exactly how many "cases" there are of paraniod delusion in the world? There are mental institutions RAMMED with people, many of whom have not interacted with anything APART from the figments of thier imagination FOR YEARS!

The CDC could be absolutely right about the way they have described the symptomology of this disorder, and are dead right to refuse to comment further. This is not thier area of expertise, and would be like an oil painter trying to tell a plumber his business. What is needed here is a deep psychological assesment of each sufferer of Morgellons. From the sounds of it, this sounds like a hyper active version of OCD, with a delusional, possible hallucinatory element thrown in just for kicks.

Another thing is this, if there WERE bugs and so on crawling around on these people, if they DID have strange fibers, actually growing out of thier skin, there would be so much evidence of it, that no study could fail to see it, and your average joe would see it just as well, because from the sounds of the reports from sufferers, it would be damned well obvious. You cannot hide something as extreme as that. That pretty much means, that if it exists, it would have been found, and because it has not, the illness cannot be toxilogical, bacterial, virological, or any other damned thing. This is a head shrinkers territory now.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
While the thread title is technically correct, I think it's a bit misleading. Since the CDC is not designed to handle mental health affairs, they were not prepared to make conclusions in that respect. But with regard to what they *are* designed to handle, it would be far more accurate to summarize the study's conclusions as "finding no evidence of physical disease", giving strong credence to the mainstream explanation.

I'm not side picking, but I guess you could call it nit-picking.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I can think of one reason that this "disease" is termed a mental abberation.....
The Chemtrail analysis has shown that fibers of some kind are part of what is being sprayed.
What if Morgellons is a disease caused by the chemtrail use?
There is ample illustration for the goverments abuse of its citizens in the name of national security etc.....
Look at the agent orange, and gulf war syndromes.
Anything that requires money to investigate, and may be connected to the wrongdoing of the goverment or its subsidiaries(military etc) is NOT going to be discovered or investigated thoroughly by the same damn goberment.
My suggestion of chemtrails is theoretical not dogmatic so dont jump on that...it could be anything...atomic testing, germ warfare got loose, anything the gov boys are responsible for but refuse to stop or take the blame fpor.
It happens all the time.
I suspect another deep black program.................though what may be difficult to find out for sure.....

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I can think of one reason that this "disease" is termed a mental abberation.....
The Chemtrail analysis has shown that fibers of some kind are part of what is being sprayed.
What if Morgellons is a disease

Chemtrail analysis thats a new one where do you find that. I've never seen any so called chemtrail analysis. But I do believe they have the same root cause as stated in the CDC findings . Mental health issue.

edit on 26-1-2012 by mikellmikell because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join