It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Movement Exposes Uncomfortable Facts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Source

The recent Pew Research report on tensions between the rich and poor gives a road map to the ofttimes unfocused Occupy movement. Since 2009, the study found, there is "a growing awareness of class conflict" among Americans.

Whatever its findings, that the mainstream Pew Research Center would frame the report in the usually verboten language of "class conflict" is itself remarkable. Whenever verbiage such as "class" or "class struggle," let alone "class conflict" is used by academics or politicians to describe the incongruity between democracy and capitalism, it is rejected as Marxist ideological rant.

Even the avoidance of the use of "working class" for the more centrist "middle class" by President Obama led to the farcical cry of Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum that Obama was encouraging class warfare.

This is hardly surprising, for when Obama attempted to raise taxes on the wealthy for the benefit of the larger populace, he was charged with encouraging class warfare rather than attempting a more equitable distribution of wealth. Although the concept of a fair distribution of assets is democratic, not Marxist, in thrust, and the 1 percent have been waging a rigged undeclared war against the 99 percent for decades, now that the 99 percent have begun pushing back, there is an inevitable cry of foul from the reactionary rich.

I know there are people on this site that dislike the occupy movement but I am not one of them. I think it is great that someone is standing up and asking for change to happen, rather than sitting behind a computer telling people that are standing up for ALL of us that they are doing something wrong.

People have the right to protest whatever they want. All the people that are against the movement and tell them to go get jobs and to get off of public property have forgot what they are bitching about is what the country is about. That's the benefit of living in a 'free' country is that you can voice your opinion and you are allowed to do so.

But, it seems like ordinary people, the ones that are being screwed by wall-street and big corporations are are not on the side of the people but on the side of the corporations. I never thought that would be possible but lately there has been a lot that has surprised me. I thought that is what most people on this site wanted, it for someone to stand up to wall street, and then it happens and they bitch.

They spew rhetoric that they hear on the 'evil' MSM.

And even go as far as to say the same thing as the people that got us into the horrible economic situation to begin with.

All I know is that I fully support OWS and what they are doing, because they are standing up for us ALL. Even if you hate them, they are trying to make your life and your kids lives better.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Hell all they need is someone to step up and actually manage them. They just seem so...unorganized. Make a plan, execute the plan. Don't get your average person on the frontline making decisions (sorry to say most people I know have a very low IQ, as long as they have Jersey Shore/Kardashians and access to a liquor store and cable TV they are content), get more of the smartest and brightest on the font lines.

Nobody will take them seriously unless they get a plan out there outlining what needs changed, then get the support.

I just think they rushed it and it fizzled as most people I know have no clue who they are or what they are doing. Its kind of sad.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

What is it with Jersey Shore? I have never watched it because I saw the people from it interviewed once, and thought ' holy sh!t, what idiots'. The people watching these morons are making them millions of dollars, I am literally situated by the show.

But, I know a lot of people that watch it, well everyone in my demographic does, which is unsettling to say the least.

I don't think OWS should have a leader though. I think that is our biggest mistake in our civilization is that we need a leader.

Pred...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Thank you. I completely agree. And those comics (especially the first) are awesome. I was also surprised at how many people on this website were against occupy wall street, let alone average people who don't go to this site.

The news only says "they have no message," and even my mom was telling me that. She's a democrat, but I thought she would be able to see past merely what the news tells her. She just kept telling me they had no real goal, and I was just like.... are you serious?? Of course not every person in a huge crowd is going to be foragainst the same things, but it seems to me that they have a pretty clear message.

Also, someone please post things about OWS on this site. There used to be a lot of stuff, and maybe there isnt anything really going on, but it would be great to hear more about what's going on with it

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

All I know is that I fully support OWS and what they are doing, because they are standing up for us ALL. Even if you hate them, they are trying to make your life and your kids lives better.

I wish OWS would stop claiming to be standing up for me and my kids. My message to OWS is to stay the hell away from me and especially my kids. They do not know whats best for me or my family and their actions are proof.
Stay the hell away.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

those cartoon sound EXACTLY like the conservatives of ATS...

They are a load of puppets with corporate hands up their backsides

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

OWS are Marxist's, Anarchist's and Feminist trash. They don't want the ability to control their own labor, they want the ability to control other peoples labor.

They are filled with Academia leftist bigots. People who made life a living hell when I tried to go to a public College because of my blue eye's and light colored hair and male genitalia. So of course I am going to view them as my enemy.

Life isn't 2-Dimensional. Just because I am against obscene wealth and monopolistic corporations and state sponsored corporatism, doesn't mean I support any of the garbage they are supporting or protesting in favor of.

The enemy of your enemy isn't always your friend. Because once the mutual enemy is dealt with they will stab me and everything I hold dear squarely in the back.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Yeah how many Americans use credit to buy flat screen TVs and then complain when they can't afford the payments.

I don't use credit cards or purchase anything with credit. I use cash. If you don't have the cash to pay for something and betting on being able to pay it down the road you are betting on future which is totally uncertain. If you can't afford something, don't buy it and especially don't finance it.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

the 1 percent have been waging a rigged undeclared war against the 99 percent for decades, now that the 99 percent have begun pushing back, there is an inevitable cry of foul from the reactionary rich.

God i love this quote- this is what I have been saying for years. I think everyone who says "class warfare" should be shot. They are the ones who have been attacking all of us for decades, now that people are mentioning it that attack us for that.
edit on 25-1-2012 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2012 by CB328 because: typo

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I know there's been hundreds of videos, but this one illustrates perfectly the media's uncomfortableness with the Occupy Rally. From the land of the sky sounds, SK
ps same radio station thats supposed to be airing a story on the sky sounds - wonder what that story will be portrayed as---

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
reply to post by cconn487

What is it with Jersey Shore? I have never watched it because I saw the people from it interviewed once, and thought ' holy sh!t, what idiots'. The people watching these morons are making them millions of dollars, I am literally situated by the show.

But, I know a lot of people that watch it, well everyone in my demographic does, which is unsettling to say the least.

I don't think OWS should have a leader though. I think that is our biggest mistake in our civilization is that we need a leader.

Pred...

Not a leader persay, just those who really understand all the underlying issues besides the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Kind of a double edged sword. As even the purest human beings can be corrupted to some degree. A consensus of everyone, for everyone. Which would have been a lot easier if the MSM would actually report useful news instead of the same 4 stories throughout the day that have nothing to do with helping humanity out of these troubled times.

Sorry if I don't care about celebrity A sleeping with celebrity B and celebrity C here going to rehab. All of that is useless news. It doesn't help one of the many problems facing humanity today where people are born to poverty and many people go to sleep at night cold and hungry.

People have information at their fingertips with the internet and even that has become a warzone. How much money is being funneled into anti piracy laws and internet watchdogs? Hopefully in the near future they will be recognized as the ones who started it all, Until more people care though, they won't gain any real recognition.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb

Yeah how many Americans use credit to buy flat screen TVs and then complain when they can't afford the payments.

I don't use credit cards or purchase anything with credit. I use cash. If you don't have the cash to pay for something and betting on being able to pay it down the road you are betting on future which is totally uncertain. If you can't afford something, don't buy it and especially don't finance it.

Where did you pull this example out of???

Did I ever say anything about seeking out debt?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Not even two pages in and I am already STUNNED by the shear ignornace displayed. I really don't know what to say. It never ceases to amaze me how many people on this site, much less the whole world are so painfully ignorant and fearful. I don't know if it is lack of education, or school is out, or people are just drunk posting, or what!! I have a really hard time understanding/accepting/wrapping my head around/coming to terms with the fact that these people think the way they do. They are consuming perfectly good oxygen that could be put to better use.

To the OP,
Nice thread and I would have to agree.
edit on 25-1-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Nope, but you commented on the cartoon.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Not even two pages in and I am already STUNNED by the shear ignornace displayed. I really don't know what to say. It never ceases to amaze me how many people on this site, much less the whole world are so painfully ignorant and fearful. I don't know if it is lack of education, or school is out, or people are just drunk posting, or what!! I have a really hard time understanding/accepting/wrapping my head around/coming to terms with the fact that these people think the way they do. They are consuming perfectly good oxygen that could be put to better use.

To the OP,

The only ignorant person is you, I suspect a result of inbreeding as that seems to be a problem in your locale.

You say people are ignorant and fearful but in your own ignorance and fear your unable to articulate it. What is ignorant to be against a leftist cause that wants a totalitarian health care regime?

What is ignorant about those who want America to become an out an out communist nation?

What is ignorant about sexist bigots who want men to be paid less because of our gender? Because that is what OWS is demanding by demanding "equal pay for unequal work".

Not only is OWS tyrannical, THEY ARE FLAT OUT STUPID WHEN IT COMES TO IDEAS FOR SOLVING OUR PROBLEMS!

Health care: Subsidize CNA's to Dentist's and Family Doctors(partial subsidization for specialized doctors).
Subsidize cost of medical equipment. Allow the interstate commerce of Health insurance, only allow non profit corporations to operate health insurance companies(and up the required amount held in savings to pay claims. Eventual goal is to eliminate the idea of health insurance by making health care more affordable for everyone).

Kick out all the illegals and strip their children of citizenship(end birthright citizenship and require lawful permanent residency birth right citizenship) and stop all immigration except that of millionaires, billionaires, scientist's and other note worthy people(exceptional people only).

Invest in 3-D printing technology as the basis of America's new industrial self reliance. Begin a program of reducing the cost of living across the board(hence the need to get rid of illegals and end most future immigration, but the techniques and programs for prosperity can be exported to other countries. Mass immigration hurts America and the country of origin).

Invest in thorium based energy generation on a community by community basis(as well as expand upon our railroad infrastructure, make it easy and pleasant for people to use the rails). The future electrical grid should be designed to primarily be decentralized for greater security and social stability.

Place a 50% tax on designer goods(designer goods classified as goods that cost more than 200% of the total manufacturing and shipping expenses). Tax Corporations that violate the 30 to 1 ratio in regards to pay into oblivion(to force a more distributionist economic policy).

Ban ban's on modular and prefab homes. Outlaw the usage of cheap materials(wood, drywall, etc) as the primary structural materials for homes(to encourage prefabricated homes and modular homes. As well as homes made out of cement, stone and other more durable/energy efficient materials).

Offer a pardon for past social, economical and treasonous crimes(on the sole condition that those guilty adopt into the new system).

Conflict between genders, races and classes should diminish as it becomes easier for everyone to live. As most resentment is born out of frustration. Adopt a policy of strict egalitarianism in the Courts. Neuter Judges, metaphorically speaking. Allow a singular Judge to preside over court cases, but require a panel of 7 or more Judges to preside over sentencing. As a way of reducing Judicial bias.

See that, it is called an idea. A plan. Not a cheap slogan but a course of action that would probably work. You leftist's are only saying what you want like an infant screaming for a bottle. Lazy, Lazy.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Its not a "left/right" issue. < Old rhetoric.
Much larger than that.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Sounds like you've got it all figured out there cheif.

btw, thanks for informing me that I'm a leftist, whatever that is.
I really had no idea. I outgrew the need to label myself some time ago.
What label do you have?

What label would one have if they subscribed to the perfect ideology?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta

those cartoon sound EXACTLY like the conservatives of ATS...

They are a load of puppets with corporate hands up their backsides

Says one of the most prolific "Obama muppets" here...Agree with the above Ows speaks for themselves("my liberal arts student loans are unaffordable; I can't get a job with a masters in french literature!")

and need not include me in their 99%.
edit on 26-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
to the OP great threat, its a shame ATS cant really work together to formulate and materialize further on issues like OWS rather people will just troll threats and say ignorant statements

i have recently attended the occupy movement in my city, they have a main house now too which is actually surprisingly well put together

i agree they shouldnt have a leader though they do really need to outline some main grievances as well as organize their network. i asked one of the people at the occupy house and he said they were not in connection with occupy movements from other cities and towns which would be very useful if they had a common medium to communicate their common and main interests and goals

i heard a quote somewhere that the greatest revolutions happen after a cold winter of discontent... and though its actually remarkably warm for where i am compared to it's usual temperature for this time of the year (pesky global warming and pole reversal) serious tho its projected to be +6 when february comes and i live in canada! anyhow point is even tho it may not be that cold i really see the occupy movement coming back in the spring, hopefully with some evolved characteristics

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

To the OP,

Whoa are you going to get pelters, I see one already who is clearly exceptionally agitated.

I'm afraid the US is going down the toilet because of the entrenched ideology you are complaining about. All countries have people with such beliefs but the US seems to have a far larger and more vocal share than usual. And they are armed !!! OMG
and worse, they vote for the very people that have created the abysmal problems in the first place. It's not a republican/democrat issue but a money issue and money means more than God and that is saying something for the bible thumping US!

One day people in the US will take off their arrogant "we know best" hat and take a look around the world. Because, strangely enough, more things happen outside the US than within........Health care is an absolute classic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join