It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the US is using Fascist Methods, Censoring the Internet in other Countries (WORSE than Sopa!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Until last year, file-sharing in Spain and Canada was a big thorn in the eye of major media moguls in the states like MPAA, RIAA etc.

I am shocked to read that after Spain got a new government now, it took the new government (so called "People's Party) less than TWO WEEKS to implement an EXTREMELY invasive and censoring new law, the so called "Sinde Law"

www.sfgate.com.../g/a/2012/01/05/businessinsidernow-the-us-is-trying.DTL
(Link doesn't work, i shortened it here so you can access this: tiny.cc...)

torrentfreak.com...

The "Sinde Law" *will* enforce the blocking of Filesharing sites ON ISP LEVEL, that means that the service providers here in Spain have to/can block whatever sites "within 10 days of receiving a complaint"

Reading the news about this HORRIBLE law, it becomes clear that this law which was put in place by the so called "People's Party" (Does this remind you of Orwell?) was merely put in place following direct "recommendation" BY THE UNITED STATES.

In other words: Spain is being bribed by the US Government and big US corporates which threatened Spain with several sanctions due to its lax copyright laws in the past.

For example, the US corporates want to introduce Netflix here in Spain plus establish other, similar services - but made it a requirement that Spain complies to US DEMANDS implementing this law.

What is the sad thing about this?

The sad thing is that there is a likelihood that 99% of people in Spain dont even have a clue what is going and how this will affect them.

The fact that the USA is imposing *its* laws in other countries such as Spain with threats and demands is OUTRAGEOUS. The blocking of potentially inconvenient sites and filesharing sites on an ISP level is outrageous also!

In practice this can mean that Spain might get a complain from some US lawyers, MPAA or RIAA..with the very likely result that filesharing sites (THE FEW WHICH SURVIVED from the recent raids, like rapidshare etc.)...but also torrent sites like demonoid, piratebay etc. might be blocked here in Spain likely within the next months...AND PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA THIS IS HAPPENING!

www.guardian.co.uk...

The US ambassador in Madrid threatened Spain with "retaliation actions" if the country did not pass tough new internet piracy laws, according to leaked documents.

The latest revelation comes amid a fierce debate over America's own plans to pass online piracy legislation that critics claim will damage the infrastructure of the internet and restrict free speech.

You have to read this to believe this, and if you are in Europe and in particular in Spain (Hey Expats!) please spread the word what is going right now!

Edit: I want to make it clear - this is not an "i advocate piracy thread", it's about censorship and the US bribing and imposing laws to other countries.
edit on 25-1-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The irony my friend will surely not be wasted when this thread gets 404'd

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

why should it get 404ed? It's NOT about piracy or debating whether we should pirate..it's about censorship and how the US is bribing other countries.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Yeah the last one was exactly that too, I dunno man, individual mods must have personal issues about it I guess. Basicaly though talking about file sharing is apparently illegal?, that was the rationale behind the last thread closure.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab

Yeah the last one was exactly that too, I dunno man, individual mods must have personal issues about it I guess. Basicaly though talking about file sharing is apparently illegal?, that was the rationale behind the last thread closure.

As far as i know, file-sharing was "legal" or "semi legal" in Spain...but then you need to understand bureaucracy in Spain...LOL..it is something which basically does not exist here. In other words: No one really gave a ####.

Now, don't get me wrong...there is a huge difference to make a new law and simply do what other countries do and declare filesharing illegal (as in any other country) - as opposed to a law which will enable site blocking on an ISP level simply because some lawyer IN THE STATES doesn't like that people from Spain go to piratebay or demonoid etc.?

I mean..people demonstrating SOPA in the states...while they *implement* such a law right now and here.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Well its legal in Switzerland, I know what your sayin man, but its like that stuff that grows in the ground, that stuff people sometimes like to smoke?, if you are thinking its tobacco YOUD BE WRONG. Well its a bit like that stuff, your just not allowed to talk about it.

Ive probably said too much already, a warning no doubt coming my way, woops!.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Last month, the U.S. threatened to blacklist trade with Spain if it didn't pass a SOPA-style law blocking file-sharing sites. A letter leaked from the U.S. ambassador to Spain's outgoing president detailed the threat, concerning Spain's so-called Sinde Law. The letter was published by the Spanish newspaper the El Pais.

The TorrentFreak blog reports: "More than 100 leaked cables showed that the US had helped draft new Spanish copyright legislation and had heavily influenced the decisions of both the government and opposition.

Now, another diplomatic leak has revealed how the U.S. voiced its anger towards outgoing President Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero last month upon realizing that his government was unlikely to pass the U.S.-drafted Sinde (site blocking) Law before leaving office."

US Ambassador Alan D. Solomont sent the letter December 12. In it he said that Spain's trade relationship with the U.S. could be "degraded" and potentially put on a "priority watch" of countries that the U.S. considers "the worst violators of global intellectual property rights," El Pais reports.

Those on that list are subject to serious trade sanctions.

Almost everyone in the tech industry thinks that SOPA is one of the worst ideas ever to spring from Congress, and that it would severely damage the Internet in the U.S. But that apparently isn't stopping the U.S. from exporting it.

Short: The US is quietly and candidly "exporting" SOPA to other countries.
edit on 25-1-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Spain doesn't have to be part of the Internet. They could have their own internet free from control of other nations.

The big question is why Spain (and other countries) would want to be part of the World Wide Web. There's no reason to really be part of it anymore.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Spain doesn't have to be part of the Internet. They could have their own internet free from control of other nations.

The big question is why Spain (and other countries) would want to be part of the World Wide Web. There's no reason to really be part of it anymore.

Spain was literally threatened and blackmailed because (as i read this) several firms like Netflix and similar want to expand also towards Spain. (Which they didn't in the past).

They said to Spain: Comply with our rules, or we wont invest in your country.

Spain's economy is VERY bad and the new conservative (fascist) Spanish government made a deal with the US to comply with their rules...in exchange for potential revenue from whatever company like netflix etc..opening up their branches here.

This is a PRIME EXAMPLE how corporates/countries impose rules again, basically the same as SOPA..at the cost of something much, much bigger..eg. freedom of the Internet.

What will be in....say 5 months? We then have Netflix, itunes whatever here....but all the other sites, torrent sites, (legal and not) all blocked and GONE so that those firms can make their money?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I to found some very horrific information shared below.

Obama Signs Global Internet Treaty Worse Than SOPA

Under the provisions of ACTA, copyright holders will be granted sweeping direct powers to demand ISPs remove material from the Internet on a whim. Whereas ISPs normally are only forced to remove content after a court order, all legal oversight will be abolished, a precedent that will apply globally, rendering the treaty worse in its potential scope for abuse than SOPA or PIPA.

Is their an end to their plans to take over the internet, I do think so. We must support all activist groups in this time of creating a new internet connection outside the current system we have.

[gratuitous link removed]
edit on 2/2/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   

It's a simple act of removing the unwanted sites from the isp's dns. My isp was just ordered to remove all piratebay's dns's from the dns. So I cannot connect to those. It takes me such an huge efford to type in the pirate party address and clicking their link that goes around that

new topics

top topics

join