It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI releases plans to monitor social networks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

FBI releases plans to monitor social networks

www.newscientist.com

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation has quietly released details of plans to continuously monitor the global output of Facebook, Twitter and other social networks,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Finally, the FBI has gone public with its plans to continuously monitor the majority of the publicly available online forums, blogs, public websites, and message boards such as Facebook, Twitter , blogs, etc.
For us ATS users, perhaps the most ominous component of their monitoring is the reference made to ONLINE FORUMS, into which category ATS well and truly falls.

The NOC (National Operations Centre) will use Internet-based platforms that provide a variety of ways to follow activity related to monitoring publicly available online forums, blogs, public websites, and message boards. Through the use of publicly available search engines and content aggregators the NOC will monitor activities on the social media sites listed in Appendix A ...

Here are some of the sites being monitored ... note that

This is a representative list of sites that the NOC will start to monitor in order to provide situational awareness and establish a common operating picture under this Initiative. Initial sites listed may link to other sites not listed. The NOC may also monitor those sites if they are within the scope of this Initiative.

There is also a comprehensive Appendix B listing all the "key" search words that they'll be looking out for.

Anyway, here's a link to the pdf that contains ALL the information on this new FBI monitoring initiative. It makes for very scary reading indeed !

Well, like it or not, looks like Big Brother syrveillance of the internet and we, it's users, just took a huge step forward ... be vigilant (and careful) ATS !!

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 25/1/12 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
No surprise really. What's surprising is that they released it, maybe from reading all of these forums they'll get a clue on how not to run a country.

link   
You post in public then anyone gets to read it - from the FBI to the NWO to Mossad to AQ.

c'est la vie

link   
My my looks like I have a little project on my hands, I am gonna make numerous false accounts and run them through various proxies and send all the agents on false leads to Antarctica, Cambodia, Zimbabwe, and north Korea. Have fun searching for the leads.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I'm pretty sure you're just joking, but just in case you're serious remember that they have AMAZING tracking capabilities now days that can even wade through TOR redirects. Just be careful!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I'm all for them monitoring ATS.... maybe they'll actually learn something here.

We can't beat this corrupt system on our own, we are going to need good people in the FBI, CIA, NSA, and all alphabet agencies to WAKE UP and see the bigger picture that awaits us all down the road.

Dear FBI,

I am pissed off at and afraid of my government, and I do not want to pay taxes anymore so more bombs and bullets can kill poor people in other countries.

The end.

Sincerely,
Person of interest

edit on 25-1-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Look at all the #ing terms they'll monitor

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What with the SOPA, PIP, the forced closing of MegaUpload and now ACTA proposals coming thick and fast ... I can certainly feel the "noose" begin to tighten more and more quickly around our "internet necks"

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
nothing new, needed to be posted anyway. HI FBI, being outspoken in forums and facebook does not make someone a terrorist. if citizens are not critical of their own leaders and government than it is so much easier for things to get out of control. welcome to America where you have to watch what you say, and if you say something negative about how things are being ran you are somehow a threat to the country.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Dear FBI,

I am pissed off at and afraid of my government, and I do not want to pay taxes anymore so more bombs and bullets can kill poor people in other countries.

The end.

Sincerely,
Person of interest

edit on 25-1-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

Dear FBI,

Read above quote and multiply by hundreds of thousands who feel the same way.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Why wouldn't they monitor those sites....

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by goldcoin
No surprise really. What's surprising is that they released it, maybe from reading all of these forums they'll get a clue on how not to run a country.

The FBI is a branch of law of enforcement, and frankly a dubious one. Constitutionally speaking there is no mandate for a national police, which is essentially what the FBI is, a police agency, filled with unelected government agents. The FBI does not "run" the country. Tragically, neither do the holders of the inherent political power. They should be running the country, they just don't and instead abdicate their authority and lament the lack of "leaders".

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Be...cause...this is ...America...?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco

Why wouldn't they monitor those sites....

Obviously they "believe" its in their and the national interest to monitor those sites.
However, as was admitted (and quite clearly) within the pdf, the listed sites are NOT exhaustive and there's nothing whatsoever to prevent them from adding to that monitored list as many additional sites as they wish over time. Obviously they have an automated system doing the monitoring.
Give them enough time and don't be too surprised if virtually the ENTIRE internet and it's contents come under complete and total surveillance ... what they're admitting to doing at the moment is just the equivalent of "dipping a toe" in the ocean !

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Wow, as previously said, look at all the search terms in appendix B of the pdf file. They might as well add ATS to their monitored sites list.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
You post in public then anyone gets to read it - from the FBI to the NWO to Mossad to AQ.

c'est la vie

Precisely. If you're stupid enough to post your life away publicly, then suffer the consequences. You have absolutely zero expectation to privacy if used in his manner. Otherwise continue on without using any personal information just like we all do here and every other site. Just hollow threats.

brill

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

So basically if your not talking about blowing things up or killing members of the government your ok, big friggen deal.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
oh dear, they just gave away more sites to be taken down...

whats funny is that i monitor alot more sites and i think by mentioning them tools, they are simply pulling the public's chain. That list is as relevant to national security as i am to the muppet show.
edit on 25-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LongbottomLeaf

So basically if your not talking about blowing things up or killing members of the government your ok, big friggen deal.

So .... when the FBI (or other alphabet agencies) decide they'd like to monitor everyone's phone calls (landline and cell), inspect your mail (email and snail), etc just IN CASE you're a "potential terrorist"... that you're ok with them doing that to you because YOU don't have anything to hide ?
Any other rights you'd like to give away ? Unbelievable attitude

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join