It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands march in Poland over Acta internet treaty

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

It has to be ratified in EU Parliament as well as in all national parliaments. I have no idea if this is also true outside Europe. If EU rejects it this might end up being dead treaty in all countries.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Either way, the treaty was signed today by European nations, including Belgium, the UK, Austria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Bulgaria, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

The treaty has already been signed by Australia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore and the US.

www.siliconrepublic.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm all for fighting for your rights, but I see no point in marching and protesting anymore, it never achieves anything because they NEVER listen to people.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by BagOfDrewshness

Because the world is starting to wake up and take off their blind folds. The cyber world itself is a blind fold remover.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex

Because the world is starting to wake up and take off their blind folds. The cyber world itself is a blind fold remover.

or is it just another distraction?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
To quote a Great Stateswoman- "We need to be more like China."

Looks like her and her ilk are moving in that direction. By "ilk" I quite literally mean every politician who is not standing on the top of the Capitol Building and screaming to the masses to come take our country back from Washington.

Yes, I know the topic is about Poland, but I did not know that the US, via Obama, et al, is already a signatory until I read this thread.

Go Polish people! I think the message about Poles being more sensitive to their relatively new freedoms is spot-on. Americans, myself included, have become complacent. Although, I must admit, in my case I have a fear of being killed by our out-of-control police. I know that when we take to the streets the whacko cops are going to start killing people (they already have) and it is going to get really ugly. But, then again, that quote about the tree of liberty needing to be watered with the blood of tyrants is so very true.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The internet is the only way of getting the truth about issues. MSM feeds us what they want us to know. TPTB hate the internet...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Given that UK has just signed its funny that the BBC news has no mention of that fact.

17 hours ago this was the only report:

"Thousands march in Poland over Acta internet treaty.

The government says protesters will have their say before the treaty is ratified in Poland.

Polish sites hit in Acta attack Battle over global anti-counterfeit treaty. Thousands of protesters have taken to Poland's streets over the signing of an international treaty activists say amounts to internet censorship."

See article: www.bbc.co.uk...

It concludes towards the end of the article:

"Poland was one of several European Union countries, including Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Romania and Greece, to sign the treaty on Thursday but it appeared to be the only place where it caused protest.

The agreement was signed by the US, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore and South Korea last year."

What is scary is that I didn't know the UK had signed ACTA treaty even though I live in London. I wonder how many others are in the same boat as me.

(Newbie)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
some of you doomers are not thinking this through, you want the censorship! Don't you see that this will be the only thing that all the 80-90-00's generation would protest, and simple math will show you, we have the numbers

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Matters how you want to look at it. Maybe their agenda was to create it to distract us, but we as a society used that "distraction" for own advantage. Free speech, flow of information. Information is where the curious mind is. Now with the idea of censoring the internet, they block the canal of information and ultimately our civil rights.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Video from today's protest Poznań, Poland:

edit on 26-1-2012 by urban33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Backbiter

Hate and maybe fear it.

Without control there is no power.

reply to post by urban33

Thank you.

reply to post by Nebro

Thanks for the information. One has to applaud this kind of activism and solidarity.

edit on 1/26/2012 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
European Parliament Official In Charge Of ACTA Quits, And Denounces The 'Masquerade' Behind ACTA

www.techdirt.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Even my small city joined the protests. I was there

The government went on TV and lied about ACTA. They said the negotiations were open, that the non-government organizations who didn't participate simply missed it and that ACTA will not change the Polish law - but it's all the exact opposite.

The protests were organized within just a few days and gathered thousands of people country wide. I hope we will not end here and shall continue being so vocal in the future, whenever the government crosses the line.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
At last winter has come and we have some freeze here in Poland but if you look on people here the atmosphere in all internet and medias is relay hot. This is main topic in Poland now. Hackers took down pages of parliament, government, and president and some others. And they were off for a few days. One minister claimed (lied) that this pages were off because so big interest of people trying to reed that pages so hackers took down his page too.

Poland signed ACTA in Japan but today prime minister of Poland said they would reconsider this decision before they put ACTA to vote in our parliament. Today there is major protest planed in Warsaw as I heard.

By the way. European Court of Justice ruled that ACTA is incompatible with European low. I am asking how it is possible that something which breaks our low is even considered to be signed.

edit on 27-1-2012 by odyseusz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
A picture is worth a thousand words

Polish Politicians protest ACTA in the Polish Parliament.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Can anyone see this happening in the UK US (marching) ?

Nope, were all too lazy to get of our bums.

Go Poland.

Maybe not in england but in scotland for sure, There are still people out there fighting the oppression and all too soon we will see marches, mass hacks and all other kinds of rebellious uprising im sure.

The need to censor the internet now is because its the only place where free uncensored speech still exists and as the final chips fall into place the internet will only be counter productive to the bull# we are being spoon fed.

Just the thoughts of a self aware open minded being climbing his way back out of the rabbit hole, i urge you to do the same.

Thanks for listening.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Wow...is that for real? Amazing.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by Hellas

Wow...is that for real? Amazing.

Yes it is!

Sorry I forgot to put the source in