It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Overuse of Stealth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Originally posted by devilwasp
we can but Mr tony blair doesnt want to.
thank you very much Mr Blair!

Don't worry, UK will have good airforce, Eurofighters + JSF is good combination, remember that UK is not that big and rich to have everything. I think future Royal airforce will be much better equipped than today (tornados are not especially maneuvrable and Harriers are only subsonic and have short range).

Harriers should stay in duty as there will be always a lot of use for them (please play DXIW
) But the Eurofighters are worse than the JSF so I don't know how does it make a good combination

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
In what way are they worse? The much much lesser stealth, which is also a lesser priority on this aircraft? Or do you mean the fact that it is faster, more manoeverable, or has BVR kill capability and supercruise as well?

Also America did not improve the Harriers engines, that is entirely down to Rolls Royce who have continually improved the Pegasus ever since they inherited it from Bristol Siddeley who proved the concept. Interestingly the accident rate for the Harrier is far higher, both in actual numbers and as a percentage rate, in the USA than the UK. Guess it must be the lower standards you train to.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtheiX

Originally posted by longbow

we can but Mr tony blair doesnt want to.
thank you very much Mr Blair!

Don't worry, UK will have good airforce, Eurofighters + JSF is good combination, remember that UK is not that big and rich to have everything. I think future Royal airforce will be much better equipped than today (tornados are not especially maneuvrable and Harriers are only subsonic and have short range).

Harriers should stay in duty as there will be always a lot of use for them (please play DXIW
) But the Eurofighters are worse than the JSF so I don't know how does it make a good combination

I wouldn't say it's "worse", they both have their advantages over each other, and I know you don't, but for other people, DO NOT underestimate the JSF in the air-to-air role, it has a powerful radar with great missiles.

posted on Sep, 18 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
cool picyure of the f-15 with no wing

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
yeah but a big radar is like saying to world "HIGH IM HERE LOOK AT ME !!! I CAN SEE YOU AND YOU CAN SEE ME!!"

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   

yeah but a big radar is like saying to world "HIGH IM HERE LOOK AT ME !!! I CAN SEE YOU AND YOU CAN SEE ME!!"

No - modern LO radar uses randomly generated frequencies (spl?) that make it EXTREMELY hard to detect. Read up on the F-22 radar for info (yes I know that you were talking about the JSF, but the same technology will be aplied to the F-35 as well)

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

No - modern LO radar uses randomly generated frequencies (spl?) that make it EXTREMELY hard to detect. Read up on the F-22 radar for info (yes I know that you were talking about the JSF, but the same technology will be aplied to the F-35 as well)

oh really? i thought it was radar that gave away a stealth fighters position,mabye i was thinking theres too much of a similarity to submarines and sonar.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
With a conventional radar that is the case but the Raptors creators thought of that and found a fix, I raised the point on here myself a couple of weeks ago when I was wondering the same thing.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtheiX
But the Eurofighters are worse than the JSF so I don't know how does it make a good combination

Facts aside why would the RAF then go out and buy an aircraft which cost more (The full, fly-away price of a single Typhoon works out as �42.01 million [given exchange rates for 22/9/04]) Source and each F-35B costing �35 million each (Source: The Times [UK newspaper]) yet according to you would be less effective!

As much as you would like to argue your point surely the RAF would have evaluated all the possibilites and would be in a better position to make that judgement than you....just a point

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The F-35 and the Typhoon are both multirole aircraft. Just that one leans towards the ground attack function than counter air, and the other is more anti air with some ground capability.

The F-35 is primarily a strike aircraft, it came from a program called Joint Strike Fighter, it isn't meant to do the technically challenging aspects of a dogfighter, the Typhoon would by its nature supposed to be more a pure powerful agile fighter. With an acceptable ground attack facility.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Here is something interesting

DERA study

Britain's Defence Evaluation and Research Agency (now split into QinetiQ and DSTL) did an operational evaluation comparing the Typhoon with some other modern fighters in how well they performed against an expected adversary aircraft, the Sukhoi Su-35.

The study used real pilots flying the JOUST system of networked simulators. Various western aircraft were put in simulated combat against the Su-35. The results were:

F/A-22 Raptor 10.1 : 1
Typhoon 4.5 : 1
Rafale 1.0 : 1
Su-35 1.0 : 1
F-15C 0.8 : 1
F/A-18+ 0.4 : 1
F/A-18C 0.3 : 1
F-16C 0.3 : 1

The Raptor is a nice piece of hardware but the Eurofighter is more cost effective for us (at least for us germans)
The US Military relies on first strike weapons while Germany needs fighters for defense only.(Constitution forbids starting a war)
But I sure hope,we'll buy a couple of F22(like the design) ^^

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I am probably going to blasted from the skies here, but I thought stealth did not mean invisible to radar, it just meant a smaller radar profile.

In all honesty, anything with a radar profile, not matter how small can be identified and seen, after all if the radar profile of a flock of geese truns up you may ignore it, but if that flock of geese is moving at mach 1 then you may get suspicious (if the computer doesnt tell you first).

Whilst stealth is an advantage, I am sure it is only an advantage for a short while (which if a fighter Pilot, of course Id want and take every time), and not the cloak of invisibility a lot on this thread seem to claim

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by philstix
I am probably going to blasted from the skies here, but I thought stealth did not mean invisible to radar, it just meant a smaller radar profile.

In all honesty, anything with a radar profile, not matter how small can be identified and seen, after all if the radar profile of a flock of geese truns up you may ignore it, but if that flock of geese is moving at mach 1 then you may get suspicious (if the computer doesnt tell you first).

You are correct, technically speaking passive stealth (regardless of the generation of technology) does not mean totally invisible to ALL radars. But it IS invisible to most radars - and the radars that can see a stealth aircraft generally cannot differentiate the aircraft from other reflections.

Much like the random, short-lived glints of sunlight you see from the ground on a high-flying aircraft, so too are the reflections a radar might get from a stealth aircraft.

Rather than seeing a flock of geese flying at mach 1, the radar operator will see a small blip that is simply not there on the next scan. Add to that all the reflections of real birds and other electromagnetic artifacts and you have an aircraft that is nearly impossible to track without some seriously cutting edge technology.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Facts aside why would the RAF then go out and buy an aircraft which cost more (The full, fly-away price of a single Typhoon works out as ?42.01 million [given exchange rates for 22/9/04]) Source and each F-35B costing ?35 million each (Source: The Times [UK newspaper]) yet according to you would be less effective!

As much as you would like to argue your point surely the RAF would have evaluated all the possibilites and would be in a better position to make that judgement than you....just a point

without new planes and orders, you cant sustain an industry, and without a local industry your national defense needs are at the whims of your supplier. and no matter how good a friend he is, for something as crucial as aerospace, thats something that many large nations find unacceptable(same with tanks it seems?)...cause from purely a monetary standpoint, its better to let someone else do all the r & d and then just walk into the showroom with a chequebook.....but when its something as big and boofy as fighters, money is not the whole story: industry, jobs, prestige, politics ect ect ect. not sayin the EF isnt the shiz, but its not as simple as "we think its the best"

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
hey! why is my post above in cool slanty writing? i didnt do that

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just a Plane old dude
In the world of Air superiority fighters among countries, one thing remains constant. The United States Airforce has an overdependancy on "stealth" technology, and use that to compensate for their planes airframes and first strike capabilities. Other countries, ex. France ( Dassault ) Sweden ( Saab ) U.K.(Eurofighter) and Russia (Sukhoi, Mikoyan ) rely on speed (1) first strike(2) maneuverability (3) and a strong airframe (4) to get the job done. Problems are continuously cropping up with stealth, and with the intercept fighters that use it (yF-22, JSF). The Eurofighter Typhoon and Sukhoi-37 Super Flanker are built like tanks. Yet they are probably the fastest and most manueverable aircraft out there. Sadly there is not a wealth of information on the U.S. Planes, because in most of the airshows You see them fly laterally. cOMMENTS?

By 'overdependancy' I assume you mean not wanting their aircraft to get shot down... The U.S has strong airframes, bombers, and cruise missiles. What do you mean problems with stealth? Stealth keeps on getting cheaper to make and easier to maintain. Top speed (i.e. afterburn) is overrated since you can only use it for just a few minutes. Supercruise is the future of supersonic aircraft.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Who dug up this post?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
May i ask why must you build something like a tank or add parts to protect a plane when the plane isnt even going to be seen or even going to be noticed due to the stealth, why suit up a plane with armor when it most likely wont be needed..

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

NWguy83
Stealth keeps on getting cheaper to make and easier to maintain.

and you know this how?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

NWguy83
Stealth keeps on getting cheaper to make and easier to maintain.

and you know this how?

Well look at B-2 and F/A-22, now look at JSF and X-45. The price is cheaper, partial because of new stealth manufacturing techniques.

I visit defense companies websites. And on one of them I remember reading about a 'breakthrough' in maintaining stealth. Which keeps the maintenance cost down, all while lasting longer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join