It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland to pass SOPA by the end of this month without parliamentary approval!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Apparently Ireland is rushing in legislation that's pretty much the same as SOPA in the U.S.

Ireland is soon to have a law similar to Sopa passed that would give music and movie companies the power to force Irish ISPs to block access to sites suspected of having copyright infringing material on them. Irish citizens won't have a chance to lobby their democratic representatives because there won't be a vote on the law -- snappily named "S.I. No. of 2011 European Communities (Copyright and Related Rights) Regulations 2011" -- in the Irish Parliament. Instead the law is being enacted by ministerial order because it is being prepared in the form of a Statutory Instrument. The law could mean that judges can order Irish ISPs -- such as Eircom and UPC -- as well as mobile networks to block access to social networking sites where an individual user has shared infringing material. The legislation was prepared in response to a court decision that ruled that although the rights of EMI were being breached by internet providers letting its copyrighted works be shared for free, the law didn't have any way of addressing the situation -- something that European law requires. It was hoped that the legislation might appease rights holders, but that hasn't stopped the record label from filing a lawsuit against the Irish government for failing to clamp down on music piracy.

www.wired.co.uk...

Other sources:

stopsopaireland.com...

www.change.org...

www.siliconrepublic.com...

Does anyone have any thoughts or further information on this?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

Its like there one big master plan with all the goverments making new internet laws.
Its almost like a conspiracy hummmm....

Ed Vaizey, the UK's Minister for Culture, Communications and Creative Industries, has been taking part in closed meetings with copyright lobbyists, apparently working on a proposal that could amount to internet censorship. Leaked online, the proposed "voluntary website blocking" scheme would "inhibit access to specific sites" based on the opinions of "expert bodies" and through shotgun court hearings

This is a bit of a old post dated june 22nd 2011

The document relates to copyright infringement, but has also been linked to online child safety and there are fears that it could become a one-stop-censorship-shop for anything this "expert body" deems inappropriate. Other rights-holding organisations involved in the talks include the Football Association, the Publishers Associations, the Motion Picture Association and music industry execs.

The uk goverment in secret talks and its to save the children and nothing to do with money.
I believe them

UK web censorship

This is looking like 2012 is going to be a intresting for the net with every western country
bringing in these laws.

edit on 25/1/2012 by skuly because: spelling again

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If this is true then this is big and could mean bad news for the rest of the world, as well as Ireland. If EMI is able to simply threaten to sue the Irish government in order to pass legislation, what's to stop them doing this to other governments. We are surely living in a global Corporatocracy..

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I remember my continuing disgust with what I saw on TV. It digressed to mindless gibberish for most of the channels so I just no longer watch it. MSM seems to only want to show what they are told to so I quit watching. The paper prints mostly what they want so I quit reading it. I don't see where I have missed anything vital.
The main reason for creating cable tv was to not have to put up with all the addies, now, it has them too.

In the end, do I feel I am in the dark:? Not really, just uncluttered.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Doesn't this mean that Facebook or Twitter could be taken offline if but one user posts copywrited content?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Was a back lash against sopa may well be a backlash against this too...

Irish Government...

Expect them.....
edit on 26-1-2012 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Irish Government...

Expect them.....

As a whole, I don't think the Irish people are even aware of this.

Everybody I've told was hearing it for the first time.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

I'm not suprised it seems as if all the western countries have all tried to slip these laws through at the same time, what with that ACTA bill being signed as well. Thankfully people are doing there best to bring these things to light so we might get a chance to generate some backlash

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LanceonW
Thankfully people are doing there best to bring these things to light so we might get a chance to generate some backlash

If the "backlash" is anything like the backlash to the illegal television licence, forced second Lisbon Treaty referendum, the Blasphemy law or the bank bailouts and austerity measures then we're screwed. Remember that Ireland's water plants are fluoridated. The nation is passive, distracted and the average person can't see beyond their next debtor.

Thanks for bringing ACTA to my attention.
edit on 26/1/2012 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
An Irish reading this should sign the stopsopaireland petition:
stopsopaireland.com...

Stands at 48,000 signatures now. Boards.ie has got involved and I see Sean Sherlocks (minister in charge) website is down.
Its a dreadful law, proposed by people that don't have a clue, and there's a chance it will harm jobs while doing nothing to prevent piracy

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos
Doesn't this mean that Facebook or Twitter could be taken offline if but one user posts copywrited content?

If that's the case, if someone hacked a government website and 'rick-rolled' it or placed corpyrighted material on there, then would that be take down to?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
it's a fcuking joke!!

ever since we have got a bailout i have noticed a lot of new laws coming to pass, or rule and regulations changed.

clearly other forces are running our government and are only a tool to the elite now.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There's been a serious lack of discussion the Irish media about it, hopefully it might be brought to attention but I won't hold my breath. There's a good article on thejournal.ie about it:

www.thejournal.ie...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MortlitantiFMMJ
Its a dreadful law, proposed by people that don't have a clue, and there's a chance it will harm jobs while doing nothing to prevent piracy

Can you describe how it might affect jobs?

Originally posted by mr-lizard

If that's the case, if someone hacked a government website and 'rick-rolled' it or placed corpyrighted material on there, then would that be take down to?

From what I understand, someone would simply have to post a link to copyrighted material in a comment section. In theory, an entire cluster of websites would have to come down. Naturally, I'm sure they'll exempt themselves for some reason.

Originally posted by scoobyrob
it's a fcuking joke!!

ever since we have got a bailout i have noticed a lot of new laws coming to pass, or rule and regulations changed.

clearly other forces are running our government and are only a tool to the elite now.

"other forces are running our government" = Globalists and European oligarchs.

"a lot of new laws coming to pass, or rule and regulations changed" = IMF Austerity measures and Lisbon Treaty.

There's been a serious lack of discussion the Irish media about it, hopefully it might be brought to attention but I won't hold my breath. There's a good article on thejournal.ie about it:

www.thejournal.ie...

Great article, thanks. I concur that this is being sneaked past the public eye.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Can you describe how it might affect jobs?

Well aside from the small business that run forums that could be shut down, it theoretically gives power to judges who can barely even boot up a computer to block the likes of facebook, youtube or any website really if a user posts content deemed to be infringing on copyright. It certainly wouldn't encourage any I.T related companies to relocate here. Its so vague its dangerous, especially given how out of touch judges are in this country.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It is done. Irish SOPA signed into law.

How does it affect jobs? By shooting yourself in the foot!!!

Here’s what tech journalist Adrian Weckler had to say: With their billions of users, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter inherently find some copyright protected material leaked onto their web services. The new law will give music and movie firms the legal footing to get ISPs blocking. That may not go down too well with Google and Facebook, which are two of Dublin’s biggest employers. It probably won’t sit easily, either, with the IDA, which may have to alter its pitch to large US social media firms who may have been thinking of setting up in Ireland. (That includes Twitter.)

Irish SOPA FAQ

What a bunch of idiots running this country!! Running it right into the ground... OMG I'm so angry!!

ETA: In case you didn't know, this is how that w####r did it.

I think this new info needs a whole new thread, but I don't have the time to devote to a thread at the moment, maybe someone else can start it.

I'm still effin raging!!!!

edit on 29-2-2012 by HighMaintenance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Its crazy, he basically said he was going to ignore all the opposition to it and press ahead anyway earlier in the month. You'd imagine a young minister might have some sense when it comes to technology but apparently not

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
An update to this, the Minister in charge, Labours Sean Sherlock said he'll cancel a meeting of panelists if the person behind the petition is part of the panel

www.irishtimes.com...

top topics

join