It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard of ractopamine hydrochloride?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It says on the wiki page that the acceptable daily intake for ractopamine is 1.25 µg per kilogram of body weight per day. So, in an average male, I don't know let's say 80 kg, the acceptable daily intake of ractopamine would be 700 µg. I don't know how much one would ingest from eating pigs that had been administered with ractopamine

It is metabolised pretty rapidly though to be honest, it only has a half life of 4 hours (pretty similar to paracetamol/acetaminophen)

I wonder if they use it in the UK too? Hopefully not, I love bacon too much
edit on 26/1/2012 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

You're quite welcome AT, the first thing that struck me when reading the article is that the court didn't seem aligned with previous issues regarding state vs fed law.

I fnd that sort of peculiar. I haven't tried to drill down to who got what money, perhaps someone else might.
I don't think one has to look very far or hard to find corruption...on this issue or others for that matter.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Yes, it does go through the system rapidly, but we're not talking about water here. Even though it doesn't stay in the system, it still has the ability to affect the body in negative ways. Just as acetominophen exits the body quickly, it still has time to make an impact.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Yes, it does go through the system rapidly, but we're not talking about water here. Even though it doesn't stay in the system, it still has the ability to affect the body in negative ways.

The side effects are 'on-target', that is, they are dose related. Beta agonists, like ractopamine, can cause an increase in heart rate and/or relaxation of smooth muscle depending on what receptor they are selective for. Adrenaline (epinephrine) is an example of a beta agonist; salbutamol (used to treat asthma) is another one.

If you understand the actual mechanism(s) behind how a certain drug causes side effects it makes it a whole lot less scary (fear of the unknown and all that)

NB, I am not saying that ractopamine is safe and that the side effects are nothing to worry about, because if it was truly safe then it it wouldn't be banned in several countries. I'm just saying that from knowing how drugs work and how they exhibit their (side) effect it makes them sort of less daunting (I'm don't really know if that makes any sense, probably not)

Just as acetominophen exits the body quickly, it still has time to make an impact.

Well only if you take too much. If you take a reasonable dose of paracetamol, it is metabolised via glucuronidation and sulphation (if you wanted to know) if it is metabolised by those two processes then it isn't toxic - paracetamol itself isn't toxic.

It only becomes toxic when you take too much of it, causing the glucuronidation and sulphation pathways to become saturated, forcing it to go down the CYP450 metabolic route where it is converted into NAPQI which is the toxic chemical responsible for necrosis, hepatitis and/or death when someone has overdosed.
edit on 26/1/2012 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Yes, you're right that it needs to be understood, but I wouldn't doubt that this drug is also helping Big Pharma along either. Many adults I know have high blood pressure and are on meds to help bring it down. Since this drug causes high blood pressure, the manufacturers of this drug and Big Pharma may just be scratching each others' backs.

IF pigs were the only animals ingesting this drug and people only ate pork products once or twice a month, I wouldn't be so concerned, but seeing as Corruption Exposed stated that it's also placed in turkey meat, this becomes much more worrisome. If someone has bacon for breakfast, a turkey sandwich for lunch, and a porkchop for dinner, I'm wondering what their daily intake is.

One thing people need to stop doing is frequenting fast food. I'd bet my last dollar that the "food" they serve up is probably tainted with the most chemicals. As soon as folks cut this out of their diet, they will have an easier time getting the rest of their diet right and won't be exposed to so many toxins. Plus, seeing that McDonald's is in many other countries, I wonder if the meat they serve is also refused when it gets shipped into China and the other countries that are rejecting this drugged up meat.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

If you are soo concerned about the racoptamine in the meat why aren't you up in arms about the mercury, botulism and other nasties in the soil that our veggies are grown in? How about selenium? After all, it is possible to get contaminated free soil to grow produce in but Is that practiced? And the water that our produce is watered with? It undoubtedly contains flouride. . Why just the meat?

And as far as the side effects from racoptamine go, you were worried about a friend that has high blood pressure eating meat tainted with racoptamine. Well, the side effects occur when the chemical is administered and in the body all side effects would subside after the chemical is out of the body. It has a half life of 4 hours right? Well, I strongly doubt that these animals were being fed an absurd amount that would enable this chemical to persist in a quantity after cooked to show effects in the human body what so ever.

How do you also feel about the animals natural production of adrenaline and insuling that are ultimately end up in the meat from the slaughtered animal? I don't think I need to tell you what adrenaline does or what excess insulin does to a person.

So please, what are your thoughts and how can we get these farmers to practice using clean soil for our veggies so I don't chance the risk of getting selenium poisoning?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I am up in arms about several chemicals. I did a thread on Mercury already, but not many people paid attention.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've also done a thread on Fluoride:

Here's a thread I did about farmers up in arms about pesticides:

I do what I can. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Wow, you really do your home work! We are definitely on both sides of the fence on this issue but I have a lot of respect for what you are doing and I DO respect your point of view. Keep it up!

Flagged already... starred last post.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kimish

How do you also feel about the animals natural production of adrenaline and insuling that are ultimately end up in the meat

I'm well aware of this one, too. I used to breed rabbits and know all about what fear does to the meat.
I'd recommend people start breeding and eating their own rabbits so they can avoid all these toxins.

I'm just trying to educate people and those like you are kindly bumping my thread and the information other concerned members are bringing forth. For that, I thank you!

Edit to Add: I just read the post you wrote and I accept your warm congrats. I wish more people would learn and become aware of what their putting into their bodies. I hope you read the other threads and figure a way to avoid these chemicals so you can get your body to where it should be as nature intended. Take care, my friend.

edit on 26-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Yikes! It makes a person want to go back to bed (
can you tell I went to bed very late?) Anyway many thanks for the information. I'll definitely have to think about this and investigate further.

I just checked my freezer and found that bacon, sausages, and pork tenderloin take up half the space in there. I need a rethink of my protein intake.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I know what you mean. Baby back ribs are one of my favorites! Good thing I only eat this about every couple of months.

It seems as though they're going to be pushing pork hard this year.
ocj.com...

Beginning this month, the Ohio Pork Producers Council is featuring new television commercials, featuring the “bacon, ham and pork chop farmers” will start to air. This TV buy encompasses the Cleveland area market. The commercials will run the week of 1/16 and 1/23, be off one week and then back on for two weeks, 2/6 and 2/13.

The new commercials are designed to bridge the gap between farmer and consumer by drawing a direct line from farmer to product. Viewers can also log on to www.OhioPork.org and view the recipes featured in each commercial.

"Purdue economist says signs look good for pork producers in 2012"
www.kpcnews.com...
urdue-economist-says-signs-look-good-for-pork-producers-in-2012&catid=179:l atest&Itemid=43

After several years of struggling to earn a profit, pork producers could find themselves back in the black in 2012, says a Purdue Extension agricultural economist.

Profits in 2012 are forecast at about $17 per head, which would be the highest since 2006, Purdue’s Chris Hurt said. In 2006 corn prices were $2.30 per bushel, compared with the $6-$7 per bushel this year, and hogs were bringing a profit of $27 per head.

According to Hurt, while a return to profitability is welcome news, it seems there are more broad implications. “The pork industry, like most other animal industries, has made the adjustments necessary to live in a world of high-priced feed,” he said. “It also looks like the pork industry has probably ‘turned the corner’ on high feed prices heading into 2012.”

"Pork conference to focus on industry trends, issues" (Jan. 18, 2012 article)
www.purdue.edu...

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Pork producers can learn about trends, legislation and studies involving the industry at the Central Indiana Pork Conference in Rossville.

The Feb. 8 conference will feature Monty Moss of Moss Farms in Burnettsville, who will discuss the filtration system he installed at his farm to reduce the spread of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome, or PRRS.

Jiqin Ni, an assistant professor in Purdue University's Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, will present the results of a recent U.S. Environmental Protection Agency study on air quality and its implications for the pork industry.

Sessions include a swine industry update and a discussion of recent legislative trends and activities affecting pork production.

"The conference will address a range of issues that are pertinent to the commercial pork industry and to individual pork producers - areas of emphasis that will help their operations become more profitable," said Curt Emanuel, Purdue Extension educator in Clinton County. "People need to know about trends and issues within the industry, and this knowledge will improve their ability to respond and react to some of the challenges and opportunities in the industry right now."

The conference will be held at Rossville High School, 1 Robert Egly Drive. Those interested in attending are requested to register before Feb. 1 in order to ensure adequate supplies for all participants; however, late registrations will be accepted as space allows.

Too bad I don't live closer. I'd show up and start asking questions about this drug.

(I think it's interesting how the second link includes the little face sticking his tongue out at you. Is this some sort of subliminal message?
)

edit on 26-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Hi, I know some information that could be useful, but I don't know how to translate the terms to English so here it is in Spanish:

El Clorhidrato de Ractopamina al 2% pertenece al laboratorio Elanco en los Estados Unidos. Su nombre comercial es Paylaen. La ractopamina que hace daño al ser humano es aquella que es genéticamente modificada agregándole una sustancia llamada: Clenbuterol. Este componente causa danos irreversibles en el hígado y un sinnúmero de reacciones más.

La molécula de Ractopamina que no es modificada genéticamente, no es perjudicial para el ser humano.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LauraC

Here is what it states according to Google Translator:

Ractopamine Hydrochloride 2% belongs to the laboratory in the United States Elanco. Your business name is payload. Ractopamine that harms a human being is one that is genetically modified by adding a substance called: Clenbuterol. This component will cause irreversible damage to the liver and a number of reactions.

Ractopamine molecule that is not genetically modified and is not harmful to humans.

Interesting. I haven't read anything about genetically modified ractopamine.

Aside from Clenbuterol being prescribed to asthma sufferers, it's also a performance enhancing drug.
secure.wikimedia.org...

As a β2 sympathomimetic, clenbuterol has also been used as a performance-enhancing drug. In 2010, three cyclists were also accused of taking the drug. Three-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador of Spain was suspended from cycling after testing positive for the drug at the 2010 Tour de France.

Maybe this Ractopamine has been banned in China and other countries -- it was tainted with Clenbuterol:
secure.wikimedia.org...

Food contamination

In September 2006, over 330 people in Shanghai were reported to have gotten food poisoning by eating pork contaminated by clenbuterol that had been fed to the animals to keep the meat lean.[11]

In February 2009, at least 70 people in one Chinese province (Guangdong) suffered food poisoning after eating pig organs believed to contain clenbuterol residue. The victims complained of stomach aches and diarrhea after eating pig organs bought in local markets.[12][13]

In March 2011, China's Ministry of Agriculture (MOA) said that the government would launch a one-year crackdown on illegal additives in pig feed, after a subsidiary of Shuanghui Group, China's largest meat producer, was exposed for using clenbuterol-contaminated pork in its meat products. A total of 72 people in central Henan Province, where Shuanghui is based, were taken into police custody for allegedly producing, selling or using clenbuterol.[14]

Earlier in the thread, we were talking about giving the diet industry a run for their money. Well, Clenbuterol is also a weight loss drug:
www.clenbuterol24.com...

Thanks so much for this info!

I'm getting a much better picture of the dangers we're dealing with now.
edit on 27-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

... Not tainted with clenbuterol (clen) but It was most definitely taken with clen, something that is called "stacking". I highly doubt, from knowing about clen, that it was added to racoptamine, most likely they complimented each other in a body builders "stack" And the liver damage IS reversible, simple milk thistle will help clean the liver but that isn't even necessary. SAM-e will cure liver cancer for Christs sakes. There aren't too many things that a humans liver can't recuperate from.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join