It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard of ractopamine hydrochloride?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Even if you haven't heard of it, other countries have and want nothing to do with it.
I don't blame them one bit and the US needs to stop feeding it to pigs.

Dispute over drug in feed limiting US meat exports

bottomline.msnbc.msn.com...
(I did a search for the drug, but nothing came up. If this has been posted previously, please disregard.)

A drug used to keep pigs lean and boost their growth is jeopardizing the nation’s exports of what once was known as “the other white meat.”

The drug, ractopamine hydrochloride, is fed to pigs and other animals right up until slaughter and minute traces have been found in meat. The European Union, China, Taiwan and many others have banned its use, citing concerns about its effect on human health, limiting U.S. meat exports to key markets.

Although few Americans outside of the livestock industry have ever heard of ractopamine, the feed additive is controversial. Fed to an estimated 60 to 80 percent of pigs in the United States, it has sickened or killed more of them than any other livestock drug on the market, an investigation of Food and Drug Administration records shows. Cattle and turkeys have also suffered high numbers of illnesses from the drug.

Growing concern over sick animals in the nation's food supply sparked a California law banning the sale and slaughter of livestock unable to walk, but that law was struck down by the Supreme Court Monday. Meat producers had sued to overturn California’s ban, arguing that the state could not supercede federal rules on meat production. The court agreed.

Looks like Monsanto isn't our only problem. Plus, what the hell is wrong with the US?!? Other countries don't want our drugged up meat, so why are they determined to keep feeding it to the pigs? They really don't give a rat's ass about consumers, do they?

I'd never heard of this drug or knew that it was being fed to pigs. Considering that Monsanto was trying to patent the pig gene, I wouldn't doubt if they were partnered up with the companies that manufacture the drug. At best, they probably own stock in it.
Here is the total annual sales volume sold by Shanghai Kasmac Business Consulting Co., Ltd.:
www.alibaba.com...

US$50 Million - US$100 Million

Here's a link to the company's profile:
kasmac-cn.en.alibaba.com...
No surprise that they're based in China.

When I hear news like this, it makes me sick. It makes me disgusted with this country, its regulators, the Supreme Court, corporate farms, and anyone else linked to this sort of disgusting practice.

What can we possibly do to combat the use of this drug and save the livestock as well as ourselves?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is horrible news for the bacon lovers of America

I have never heard of this chemical so I'm going to look it up in more detail to see if it's used in Canada, thanks for sharing

I freaking hope they don't use this in Canadian pigs, because I love bacon.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Please post whatever info you find.
We need to keep our friends in Canada up to speed on their food additives. I'm interested to see what you find out.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
even china banned it holy # why is this still in use it must be bad or china would probably use it as cereal

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tetriswoooo

Yeah. It's pretty funny that they ban a chemical that they manufacture.
Isn't that what drug dealers always say? Never use your own product.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
They use it in Canada too

I should have figured as much the way our food systems are integrated.

According to Elanco’s news letter related to the Paylean® approval in Canada, it improves average daily gain and feed efficiency by 10-15%, and shows no adverse effects on meat quality.

Paylean is approved in Canada for use in meal or pellet feed for finishing barrows and gilts only. It is not approved to use it for breeding swine and pigs intended to be retained for breeding. It is advised not to feed rations containing Paylean for more than six weeks.

Although Paylean is not approved for breeding swine, swine improvement programs may still need to be reviewed once Paylean is widely used for pork production. For example, it needs to be checked whether economic weight for carcass leanness needs to be downwards adjusted. If an adverse effect on meat quality is found, there could be additional emphasis on genetic selection for meat quality.

www.ccsi.ca...

Paylean is ractopamine hydrochloride BTW.
edit on 25-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Just wonderful.

Here in Florida, we have a huge problem with wild boars. You're more than welcome to come here and get you some new meat to turn into bacon.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
What exactly does this drug to
a) pigs
b) humans
c) the environment
???

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Corrupted Data

Visit the link below and it will give you a good run down. It basicly absorbs into the muscles and keeps the pigs lean while making them grow faster.

secure.wikimedia.org...

Safety concerns

The Codex Alimentarius Commission has reaffirmed the human safety for Elanco’s feed ingredient compound ractopamine during its 33rd session in Geneva, Switzerland, by holding the maximum residue levels at Step 8 with a work plan. .[4]

Why am I not surprised that this drug has been approved in accordance with Codex Alimentarius?

And....

Carcinogenicity

Ractopamine is considered not to be a direct carcinogen. It is not listed by IARC, NTP, ACGIH, or OSHA. The induction of benign leiomyomas (tumors of smooth muscle) in mice and rats can possibly be due to a general feature of beta-adrenergic activity of ractopamine.

Cardiovascular effects

Dose-dependent changes of heart rate and cardiac output are observed within the first hour after administration of ractopamine and gradually return to baseline values. The systolic blood pressure will also increase in a dose-dependent manner, while the diastolic pressure remains unchanged.

Musculo-skeletal effects

Skeletal muscle tremor is the most common adverse effect of beta-agonists, and is more likely to be seen after oral administration than after inhalation. Tremor results from an imbalance between fast- and low-twitch muscle groups of the extremities, and its severity varies greatly between individuals. No such effects were recorded at the NOEL determined in the toxicological studies conducted in laboratory animals given ractopamine or in the study in humans on cardiovascular effects of ractopamine.

Behavioral changes

Feelings of restlessness, apprehension, and anxiety were reported side-effects after the use of various beta-agonists, particularly after oral or parenteral treatment. In pilot clinical trials with ractopamine, four patients showed little evidence for central nervous system stimulation. It is unclear whether long-term treatment with these drugs results in the development of tolerance to these adverse effects.

edit on 25-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I thought you'd like to know:

From Wikipedia:

In July 2007 Chinese officials seized U.S.-produced pork for containing ractopamine residues.[9] Further shipments of ractopamine fed pork were seized in September, though this time they were Canadian in origin.

Maybe it's a UN thing?

Ractopamine is currently allowed to be used as growth promoters to increase lean muscle mass in pigs and cattle in around 25 countries worldwide, including USA, Canada, Korea, Mexico and Indonesia.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Thank you for sharing that content. Even though I get my bacon from a family run butcher, I'm wondering if the pork they sell is fed this garbage.

I bet if I asked they would have no idea what it is and just say that they don't use it.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

You'd think they'd know if their pigs are getting it or not.

Whether or not they'd admit it is another thing.

I'm wondering if the War on Drugs has morphed into countries selling tainted food to countries.
We have China shipping over tainted baby and dog food, while the US and Canada are sending them tainted food. Scary stuff. You just don't know what you're eating anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
From what I read on another source, this chemical doesn't sound too bad. From what i've read it is a beta adergenic agonist that shuttles nutrients into the muscle tissue without going to adipose fat tissue. People have actually taken this stuff and haven't suffered bad side effects. Some compare it to having A few cups of coffee without the jitters. All that this chemical is is a replacement for the old finaplex that was used on cattle.
edit on 25-1-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

People have actually taken this stuff and haven't suffered bad side effects.

Please provide a source to back this information.

From what I've posted, it can cause muscle tremors, elevated blood pressure, and behavioral problems such as nervousness and anxiety.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I can imagine there would be some unpleasant side effects. In studies for certain things they probably give high doses so they know where the threshold is for side effects. A few cups of coffee gives me anxiety and high blood pressure and the jitters as it probably does most people but coffee isn't bad in moderation.
edit on 25-1-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I understand that posting the link to the bodybuilding site might violate T&Cs, but I stand by my U2U reply when I stated that the time frame that they took the drug would be an important factor. If they only took it for a few weeks or months, then quit. Maybe there aren't any adverse or permanent side effects. I also wonder how this drug affects children. We certainly can't make pork avaiable to those 18 and older. I also stand by my viewpoint that these men and/or women you're referring to took this drug because they wanted to and not because it was placed into their food without their knowledge.

Edit to Add: I just read your U2U. Even if these these people are taking these drugs under a doctor's supervision, it still doesn't mean that it's safe. It also doesn't mean that they're smart either. As you stated, some of them are the creators of the drug. Well, they may be smart enough to make a drug, but I can't say they have a conscience. I believe that steroids should be used to decrease inflammation only in order to help someone medically. If someone is taking it to gain more muscle, they're doing themselves harm because their ligaments won't be able to keep up with the muscle growth. Not very smart if you ask me. Plus, the other side effect that I don't believe I can mention, but it has to do with a decrease in manhood. THAT can't be a great side effect!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

The butchers I get my bacon from most likely order their product from a semi-local distributor. There is a small chance that they raise the pigs themselves, but I'm unaware if it's their farm or not. I might casually ask next time.

IMO it's deff worth finding out. Well it's bed time but I will make sure to report tomorrow if I come across any info but I'm not heading to that part of town until the weekend.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

As another poster mentioned, even China won't allow it and their standards aren't exactly up to par.

Canada and U.S. are the front runners in codex and eugenics recently

edit on 25-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
From what I understand it isn't given to them their whole life. It is given to them sometime before slaughter or auction time.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
This is horrible news for the bacon lovers of America

I have never heard of this chemical so I'm going to look it up in more detail to see if it's used in Canada, thanks for sharing

I freaking hope they don't use this in Canadian pigs, because I love bacon.

lol
there's always turkey bacon
[ducks for cover]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join