It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monterey Park officers fatally shoot man 10 TIMES at Carl

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Monterey Park officers fatally shoot man 10 TIMES at Carl

www.youtube.com

MONTEREY PARK - Police officers Monday morning shot and killed a man who had been breaking windows at a Carl's Jr. restaurant in the 1200 block of Avenida Cesar Chavez, officials said.

Monterey Park Police officers received a call around 9:30 a.m. that a male Hispanic adult was shattering windows with a metal bar at the fast food restaurant, located directly across the street from East Los Angeles College and adjacent to several bustling shopping centers.

When officers arrived they saw patrons of the restaurant running toward them, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Sgt. Pauline Panis said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.sgvtribune.com

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This happened yesterday, the officer shot the suspect 10 times. Even though you see the suspect in the video taking a swing at his partner , do you think he could of used another way of bringing him down? like releasing the dog at him. What do you guys think about this? Note this video is not shot by me.

www.youtube.com

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Complete bull#. The officer was threatened, the use of the firearm was justified but 10 shots is excessive force by far. 2 or 3 to the leg would have been enough. He kept firing even after he fell to the ground.

Bull#.

Those dudes in the video are retards, too. # aint funny.
edit on 25-1-2012 by r3axion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

i agree with excessive force, but the way a police officer is trained is that if they feel the need to have to use there firearm then its shoot to kill not to wound

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by r3axion
Complete bull#. The officer was threatened, the use of the firearm was justified but 10 shots is excessive force by far. 2 or 3 to the leg would have been enough. He kept firing even after he fell to the ground.

Bull#.

Wrong!! When you pull a gun and shoot it, you are shooting to ELIMINATE the threat, not to wound, but to eliminate the threat. If you shot a person breaking into your home and told the police/jury you shot to wound, you would be up # creek... you shoot to eliminate the threat, ie shoot to kill.

Excessive force? We were not there. How do you know that the guy was not on something? Lots of different scenarios... in the end Darwinism ruled the day...
edit on 25-1-2012 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

Officers are supposed to use only the force necessary to detain a suspect.

He was shot while he was on the ground like an additional 4 times.
This was an execution.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Suicide by cop. The man had something in his hands. It looks like a shovel. As soon as he moves in the direction of one cop, the cop with the dog fires.

Ten times is excessive but when you are confronted by cops pointing guns at you, don't give them any reason to feel threatened.

My opinion, it was totally the idiots fault who got shot.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

edit on 25-1-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by r3axion
reply to post by caf1550

Officers are supposed to use only the force necessary to detain a suspect.

He was shot while he was on the ground like an additional 4 times.
This was an execution.

true, but if their life or public safety (bystanders lives) - are at risk, and the person is not complying its gloves off. In the end, the problem was with the douche breaking windows.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

I agree the dude was an idiot.

But it wasn't necessary to end his life.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

yes you use force to subdue a suspect if the scenario will not turn dangerous or deadly, if the police feel that there lives are being threatened then they have to grounds to use deadly force, ie if a suspect attacks them with a blunt object. the scene turned deadly as soon as he swung at the officers, he wasnt trying to wound them he was trying to kill them giving the officers the right to defend themselves

it also appears before they shot him that they were trying to pepperspray him and he attacked
edit on 25-1-2012 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

He didn't swing at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by VicMT09

This happened yesterday, the officer shot the suspect 10 times. Even though you see the suspect in the video taking a swing at his partner , do you think he could of used another way of bringing him down? like releasing the dog at him. What do you guys think about this? Note this video is not shot by me.

www.youtube.com

No, it would be completely wrong to endanger the dog for no reason. Maybe he was intending to commit "suicide by cop" from the beginning anyway.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

he went at them after they tried to sedue him with what appeared to be pepperspray, the minute you go after a officer with a weapon then they can defend themselves with whatever means necessary

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Ok, what do we have here.....First of all, it is in Monterey Park, which is a totally frightening ghetto where most of the signs aren't in English anymore. If I ran out of gas there and had to leave my car to get more gas, not only would I be in danger as a white person, but my car would be stripped by the time I got back. I grew up in LA County, and my first job was in Monterey Park. It was bad in the 80s and worse in the 90s, I cannot imagine how much worse it is now.

Then we have somebody obviously cracked out or on PCP, busting out windows with a heavy object and potentially causing injury to the restaurant patrons. Then he decides to start swinging at police. The taser didn't phase him, which is a dead giveaway to his intoxication with something that makes him impervious to pain (which is why I mentioned PCP).

I suppose they could have shot him in the legs, but typically police fire at the torso, the largest part of the body, in order to assure a hit when they feel threatened.

I typically hate cops and the way they "shoot first, ask questions later", but for some reason, I just can't bring myself to feel that it was police brutality in this case. Maybe I don't know enough of the facts but that's my take on this story.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

Like I said, firearm was necessary. 10 bullets were not.

4 of which when he already fell to the ground.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

edit on 25-1-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

good thing you just revoked your statement, I was about to tell you that yes it is entirely revelent if he is shot once or 13 times. that cops psychological profile just took a hit with a new psychotic attack addition.

justifiable force is always acceptable in my eyes. this was not the case, yes his partner was about to get slogged, the moment that cop saw him turn for him he could have simply fired a round into the air, then the suspect would have known they were serious.

13 shots is not justified unless the guy is wearing full kevlar and still swinging..

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by r3axion

The first shots were fired when he aggressively moved towards the other cop with his shovel.

Big mistake to bring a shovel to a gun fight.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I agree that the police were right to eliminate the threat, but the cop continued to fire long after the guy ceased to be a threat. Looking at the video he was no longer a threat after the second shot. It'd be interesting to hear an assessment by some of the Police Officers on ATS.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I think you should re-read what I've been saying...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join