It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best book, film, documentary that argues there is a god?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hello all,

Lately I have been reading a lot of books about religions, god, consciousness, spirituality you name it.
Yet I have yet to read anything that I have found has argued strongly enough for gods existence (in the sense of mainstream religions such as the Abrahamic and eastern religions).
For example I read Mere Christianity and although it raised a lot interesting points I didn't find it to be the game changer my Christian friend had hoped it to be.

So any recommendations?

Edit to say I mean books other than scripture themselves.
edit on 25-1-2012 by eyesdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by eyesdown

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

these are some good docu's on the subject matter.

edit on 25-1-2012 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Theres plenty of books here...

reluctant-messenger.com...

Have a look around... see what you think

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

Thanks a lot I will get stuck in.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I'd check out the Kent Hovind theory, all his videos are not copyrighted, so you can download and burn, he actually encourages it, and has a 250,000 dollar reward if you can prove him wrong within a shadow of a doubt. He's a bit boring but very informational, and he uses science to back it up.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can watch the Hovind Theory here

newvisionministriesonline.org... tion=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=103

edit on 25-1-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy

I'd check out the Kent Hovind theory, all his videos are not copyrighted, so you can download and burn, he actually encourages it, and has a 250,000 dollar reward if you can prove him wrong within a shadow of a doubt. He's a bit boring but very informational, and he uses science to back it up.

en.wikipedia.org...

Kent Hovind is a wingnut who believes in psuedoscience and ridiculous theories. He's also in prison. Try just researching on the web, God & Science and Answers in Creation
edit on 1/25/2012 by Iason321 because: edited links

edit on 1/25/2012 by Iason321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I can't help you with what you are looking for but regardless of the religious aspect it is quite an interesting question which I always think of as this:

Did we all just happen by chance, or were we "put" here?

Put differently:

Did a planet just happen to form and receive exactly the right conditions physically, chemically and spatially that simple life started, evolved and kept evolving till we all got to "here"?

I think the statistical probability for the first part would be very low. Regardless of any possible religious connotation, the second part does somehow seem more likely. I would guess that statistical probability could account for one planet with sentient life on it in a sea of lifeless worlds quite happily, as modern science would tell us. Somehow though....

ETA I know statistically the other side of the question might also be very low seeing as how Divine Creators have not yet been proven but it is an interesting question nonetheless.
edit on 25/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

lol thanks for informing me, I had just started listening to one of his documentary and he claimed the ice age happened over night possibly because we passed through the tail of a comet? Interestingly though everyone's recommendations have been linked, they are all about science and god. It seems now to look for god it makes sense to look at science, instead of pure theology and apologetics.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Well thanks for replying anyway, and yes I agree. That is partly the reason I have been agnostic most my life, because although I have grown to reject religious ideas I may have had as a child, I have never completely rejected the idea that there is more to this world than meets the eye. In fact when you look at the space we are just lingering in and how insignificant we are it can sway it either way. We are either chosen or insignificant.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I find Bruce Almighty quite a compelling watch

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Srila Prabhupada:

edit on 25-1-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

+1 for Kent Hovind. Strongly recommend watching his stuff
He was the reason Dawkins stopped debating creationists and truthfully I believe prison was the only place the powers that be could send him to shut him up.
Obviously not everything he teaches is perfect, but well worth a listen to if you want a Christian perspective.

Oh and you will see the hate Hovind generates from atheists, even in this thread. A good indication that as a Christian he is on to something.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Currently reading More Jesus Less Religion by Steven Arterburn and Jack Felton. It's a very insightful book so far (and witty) and is a good followup for Mere Christianity. It's essentially about moving from the mechanics of religion towards spiritual understanding and simplicity. Moving from rules to relationship.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Read the Popol Vuh and the Bible. You will see the consistency within each and draw parallels from them. To me, it indicates there was once a civilization that knew the same thing and then peoples went all over the world to settle with their stories of creation.

The creation story follows the exact same steps as evolution says, there was nothing and then there was light. The Bible says this along with the Popul Vuh. So it just makes me wonder how the ancients knew what happened the same way evolutionary scientists would later say. The difference is, the Bible states God is the Causer of the Creation. While evolutionary scientists cannot say what happened before the Big Bang, the Bible and all the ancients have said consistently how it happened. That should be worth looking in to.

If the Bible is merely a book of myths, one has to consider how those people even knew the most basic things that scientists now say, such as the earth is round, it is suspended in space and the constellations existed when they could only look at them with the naked eye. By the way, the earth is almost perfectly round according to deodetic geography. The Bible also mentions the earth will one day reel to and fro like a drunken man...did this happen? Yes, the earthquake that caused the tsunami in Bandeh Aceh, Indonesia proves that the earth did indeed wobble.

I will leave you with this question to ponder, can Archimedes really move the earth with the right lever? It looks right given the laws of physics, but can he really?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Any older books

THE KOLBRIN

newer material

THE URANTIA BOOK does not explain God but explains God:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

en.wikipedia.org...

He was the reason Dawkins stopped debating creationists and truthfully I believe prison was the only place the powers that be could send him to shut him up.
Obviously not everything he teaches is perfect, but well worth a listen to if you want a Christian perspective.

Oh and you will see the hate Hovind generates from atheists, even in this thread. A good indication that as a Christian he is on to something.

I am a Christian and I was one of the people discrediting Hovind in this thread. The man spouts off so much nonsense. What he says contradicts everything known in modern biology and archaeology, and his theories have been proven to be crap so many times. The earth is NOT 6,000 - 10,000 years old, and Genesis is NOT a literal account of what happened. There was no single person named Adam, adam means mankind, people have misinterpreted the Genesis account. I'm sorry but if you truly believe in YEC / Hovind, you need to go out and do some research. Thousands and thousands of people have dedicated there lives to proving how old the earth is (~4.54 billion years) and how the Human race came about.

As I said, Hovind is a wingnut, and he is in prison, not because the Government didn't want him preaching his whackadoo theories, but because he commited multiple counts of fraud.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321

Originally posted by borntowatch

en.wikipedia.org...

I am a Christian and I was one of the people discrediting Hovind in this thread. The man spouts off so much nonsense. What he says contradicts everything known in modern biology and archaeology, and his theories have been proven to be crap so many times. The earth is NOT 6,000 - 10,000 years old, and Genesis is NOT a literal account of what happened. There was no single person named Adam, adam means mankind, people have misinterpreted the Genesis account. I'm sorry but if you truly believe in YEC / Hovind, you need to go out and do some research. Thousands and thousands of people have dedicated there lives to proving how old the earth is (~4.54 billion years) and how the Human race came about.

As I said, Hovind is a wingnut, and he is in prison, not because the Government didn't want him preaching his whackadoo theories, but because he commited multiple counts of fraud.

I strongly disagree with your opinion.
There is no evidence for the geological time scale and that casts a shadow on everything evolution teaches.
But thats irrelevant.
MY POINT is that A LOT of Christians, like it or not, accept young Earth creation.
If the person who started this thread would like to understand why so many Christians accept YEC, Hovinds DVDs give a good clear and precise teaching why.
Jesus taught Creation and Genesis as a fact. I cant deny Jesus or his teachings, please believe what you like.

top topics

join