It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ONE glass of water from the entire ocean - SETI speech by Jill Tarter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
SETI, or the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence, "doesn't presume the existence of extra-terrestrial intelligence it merely notes the possibility if not the probability in this vaste universe."

Jill Tarter's speech "call to join the SETI search" on TED - ATS really needs to see this! Some amazing perspectives on just how vast our search is, just what "We" are as humans on this planet, and what we've done so far in our search.

TED talks: Jill Tarter's call to join the SETI search

How much is really out there?

Our Sun is one in 400 billion stars in our galaxy; our galaxy is one in 100 billion galaxies!

EARTH HISTORY and WHO ARE WE?

Science has PROVEN that Earth is not the center of the universe, that Earth did not come first; it took the birth and death of at least two generations of stars for the heavier atoms to form. The first stars brought together Hydrogen and Helium and upon those stars' implosion Carbon and other heavier atoms were formed. The next generation of stars, upon star-death, allowed for even heavier atoms such as Silicon and various metals we find on Earth. (not from OP-linked talk)

We are not the pinnacle of evolution. We are not the determined product of billions of years of evolutionary plotting and planning. We are one outcome of a continuing adaptational process. We are residents of one small planet in a corner of the Milky Way galaxy. And Homo sapiens are one small leaf on a very extensive Tree of Life, which is densely populated by organisms that have been honed for survival over millions of years.
emphasis added

"Might it be the discovery of a distant civilization and our common cosmic origins that finally drives home the message of the bond among all humans? Whether we're born in San Francisco, or Sudan, or close to the heart of the Milky Way galaxy, we are the products of a billion-year lineage of wandering stardust. We, all of us, are what happens when a primordial mixture of hydrogen and helium evolves for so long that it begins to ask where it came from."

ARE THERE OTHERS OUT THERE?

All of the concerted SETI efforts over the last 40-some years are equivalent to scooping a single glass of water from the oceans, and no one would decide that the ocean was without fish on the basis of one glass of water.

The search must continue. To ASSUME there's no intelligent extra-terrestrial life simply because most of us don't have solid proof and interaction is certainly a choice for purposeful ignorance

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
one add-on...

This is our Voyager 1 spacecraft out at 106 times the distance to the Sun from Earth! We pick up the signal clear as day. We know what the signal looks like and it is a simple, straight-forward signal but nonetheless, 106 times further than the Sun is a LONG way to sense something!

We do have hope in this endeavor!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I used to use the SETI At Home program as a screen saver on my old desktop, but now with my laptops, I don't use them.
In fact I forgot about it.

S&F

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I used it as well, for a couple years. Then suddenly it was blocked and I got a message it was terminated. From what I understand it's available but haven't gotten back to it yet.

There is a Seti@home discussion forum here on ATS: ATS: SETI@home

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I disagree with the statement that the Earth is not the center of the universe. If I hop in my rocket ship and fly in any direction, the distance I need to travel to get to the edge of the universe will always be the same. There's no short or long way to the leading edge of the universe. As a result, we're essentially pretty much right smack dab in the center, and have been ever since the universe started and began expanding.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein

All of the concerted SETI efforts over the last 40-some years are equivalent to scooping a single glass of water from the oceans, and no one would decide that the ocean was without fish on the basis of one glass of water.

Maybe. But I sure wouldn't want to drink it, because I sure could tell from that single glass that the ocean was in fact full of living things, and even though there were no fish in it, I could probably easily find traces of fish poop. With SETI though, all we've come up with so far is a perfectly clear, sterile glass of water and no indication that if we keep dipping our glass we'll come up with anything different.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
When people say to me they don't believe in Aliens and we're the only 'intelligent life' anywhere, I always think, 'Have you REALLY thought what you're saying?'.

Billions of galaxies. In those billions of galaxies you've got billions of stars. Around those stars you've got trillions of planets...

How can people seriously thinking we're not alone?!
edit on 25-1-2012 by TrueInstinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

it depends a lot on what you use to look at that glass of water.

If all we have is our eyes and look at a glass of ocean water from near the shore we might see sand and water, only.

SETI is asking for more money so they can use a "microscope" (to follow the analogy) rather than just our eyes. In your example it might be just that easy to see life everywhere!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

not sure if you're joking due to the
at the end, but I believe that's why we use the balloon analogy to talk about "now". As everything went outward from the Big Bang, and you think of "now" as the surface of a balloon with "then" as going into the center of it. However we don't actually know yet what is past the end of what hasn't been made yet so it's sort of irrelevant.

and if that's confusing try this video that explains it all...

edit on 25-1-2012 by Thermo Klein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueInstinct

You're spot on, just a quick edit:

Hundreds of billions of galaxies. In those galaxies you've got Hundreds of billions of stars.

No chance we're the smartest things around. Have you seen reality TV?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
So much life out there.

Anyone that thinks otherwise must be aware that deep down they are only kidding themselves. Surely.

As far as we have come technologically in such a small space of time is quite amazing. It all just seems so primitive still in the whole scheme of things. I wish I was born just a few hundred years further down the track, but then again, I'm not sure if we are capable of sustaining such increasingly high levels of technological advancement without it back firing on us.

I have a feeling contact is just round the corner. I dont think that we are going to find it ourselves, not in the next few hundred years anyway. Instead I believe it will personally come to us landing right on our doorstep. I find it hard to believe that numerous intelligent ET species out there don't already know of our presence especially with all of the billions of broadcast signals from TV and Radio that are continuously being pumped into space and have been doing so at an ever increasing rate for well over half a century. As far as I am aware these signals never die and are endlessly reaching out into the farthest depths of space.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DanielET

And those broadcasts have a very small sphere around our planet, a hundred light year sphere around us isn't very far considering the space. Nobody is proposing we are the only intelligent life in the Universe, just the vastness of everything makes it unlikely another intelligent race has reached us, yet. And if they have, why would we be aware of their visit. Consider we folks pay a visit to some microbes on an anthill in Africa, would they be able to sense our presence, could we cloak our presence from them? And if somehow they knew, what would it matter to them, what could they do about it?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I disagree with the statement that the Earth is not the center of the universe. If I hop in my rocket ship and fly in any direction, the distance I need to travel to get to the edge of the universe will always be the same. There's no short or long way to the leading edge of the universe. As a result, we're essentially pretty much right smack dab in the center, and have been ever since the universe started and began expanding.
If you do that in an airplane, you fly in any direction and end up back where you started. How do you know that won't happen if you do that in the universe?

Hint: The universe looks pretty flat, but we aren't sure it's not spherical:
secure.wikimedia.org...

Based on flatness measurements we can say if it's spherical, the sphere must be huge. Michio Kaku thinks it's probably spherical.

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

I used to use the SETI At Home program as a screen saver on my old desktop, but now with my laptops, I don't use them.
In fact I forgot about it.
We had 6 PCs in our house and most of them were using the setiathome screen saver at one time, but I think it was one of the upgrades they made forced a user upgrade and we didn't bother making the upgrades. It was fun though and it made a cool-looking screensaver.

Besides, now that electricity prices have increased so much we turn our computers off a lot more. We left them on all the time back then to do computations even while we slept...we wanted to discover aliens!

edit on 25-1-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I think someone furthur up mentioned that SETI wants to use finer resolution tools to discover the "fish poop" that might exist in our universe. Humans have little to no patience when it comes to the esoteric/long term research projects. Imagine if Alexander Fleming threw away his petri dishes because penicillin kept screwing up his experiments.

If by using all of the available tools of listening, we do not discover evidence of ETI in say 1000 years, then we just might be alone in this quarter of the Milky Way.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueInstinct
Billions of galaxies. In those billions of galaxies you've got billions of stars. Around those stars you've got trillions of planets... How can people seriously thinking we're not alone?!

Okay. Billions of galaxies and stars and planets. Life crawling around everywhere. You can't swing a dead cat in space without hitting all kinds of life. Everywhere.

And we haven't found it. And it hasn't found us. Because...
It's hiding under a rock somewhere. It's far away. It's whatever.

People can seriously think we're not alone, because at this point in time we have found exactly NOBODY ELSE and apparently NOBODY ELSE has obviously found us.

And you can go visit and talk to all the hypothetical, statistical aliens you want, but until you actually find one, that's all they are. Hypothetical. Statistical.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Based on flatness measurements we can say if it's spherical, the sphere must be huge. Michio Kaku thinks it's probably spherical.

I figure it's a multi-dimensional toroid. Like a donut, but instead of a hole in the middle, it all collapses back in on itself in time. So you fly "outward," away from Earth in any direction, and the rest of the universe is always going to be the same distance away. It's a paradox that puts us right in the center. Where did the Big Bang happen? Right where you're sitting. Because at the beginning of the universe, everything was in one spot. Right here.

new topics

top topics

join