It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some letters & numbers don't work anymore on my laptop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
My wife's laptop which I believe is slightly less than a year old has developed a problem in that some of the letters and numbers don't work.
I have blown compressed air into the keyboard to dislodge any dirt or dust from them but the problem is the same.
It is set to the English UK keyboard and I even tried it on the US keyboard settings but it is still the same.
I also removed one of the letter plastic covers and pressed it with a knife in the middle but no joy.

Letters not working are:
JPQTU
Numbers:
Also
-]

I have scanned with antivirus but nothing and also re-installed windows 7 home but nothing seems to work .
Am I missing something or do I need to return it to the shop where I bought it under guarantee.
I bought it a Morrissons store in UK.

Hopefully a pc tech can help me with this to at least stop the wife nagging me lol

edit on 25-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Keyboards probably gone bad.
Look on ebay for a replacement.
good luck.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

If it's less than a year old...you may have some replacement warranty on parts (like the keyboard)...depending on what type it is...Acer, Dell, Toshiba, and Sony are all pretty good about just sending you a part (like a battery for example)!

Might want to call the manufacturer before spending any money!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Sometimes debris that can't be removed with compressed air will get under keys. Pet hair is notoriously bad. People who eat at a keyboard will also get a lot of "stuff" wedged in there.

You might try popping the non-working keys off and seeing what's under them.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

If it's less than a year old...you may have some replacement warranty on parts (like the keyboard)...depending on what type it is...Acer, Dell, Toshiba, and Sony are all pretty good about just sending you a part (like a battery for example)!

It's an EMachines model......

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Funny you should say that, my collie dog likes to look at what my wife types on the screen and sometimes puts his face on the keyboard even though I have told her to stop him doing that.
Do you think he might have 'dribbled' saliva onto the keyboard or hairs as you say?
I did try with one of them and removed the cover but still not working....

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Okay...well here you go:

contacthelp.com...

Try calling them first...if the above suggestions are to no avail!

They might be willing to send you a new one...or swap you for your old one...it's worth checking out and the time it takes to phone them!

Good luck!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
given its in the uk i'd just mention the sale of goods act and keep up the agro until they give you a new machine

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

Originally posted by jerryznv

It's an EMachines model......

EMachines maybe cheap but they still have warranty's. It really easy, just give them a call. If its not under warranty then search the model of your computer and type keyboard. It will cost around 10-30 dollars. They are easy to replace. Before you buy one you should open it up, disconnect and reconnect the keyboard. Might just be a lose connection. for the mean time windows has a keyboard witch you can use with your mouse.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
What I always do, is I keep the receipt in the box and put it in the loft, so I will be digging around there first thing in the morning and going to the store which is only 2 miles from where I live.
What happens if the manager says I have to return it to EMachines for repair myself? What is the law in the UK about this?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Thanks for the link

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Just don't tell them about the dog slobber.

Good luck!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Just don't tell them about the dog slobber.

Good luck!

One time he peed on the laptop and I had to buy her a new one lol
Expensive pooch he he

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I will update this doggy tale tomorrow but many thanks for all suggestions, I appreciate the help.
Good to know I can count on you guys

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Not cool at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

So it was you that took the photo? Thought I saw a flash lol

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
If you are up for taking the computer at least half way apart it may be worth it. The keyboards on most laptops are connected via ribbon cables. These are very flat sheets basically that slide into a connector. If they move, and the certainly do, then that will cause partial to total blackouts on your keyboard. It is simply a matter of re-seating the cable into it's connector. This of course should be a secondary option but you said you already cleaned out the keyboard. Also note that opening the system will void your warranty.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Update: I found the reciept and the guarantee ran out 5 weeks ago, typical!
What I did do was when I bought my iPad 2 I bought a Bluetooth black keyboard to go with it. I don't ever use it so it was just sitting doing nothing. I connected it via Bluetooth to the laptop, sat it on top of original keyboard, and voila, it works! Doesn't even really look out of place either as it's not huge but not too small either.
So my wife can stop nagging me that it doesn't work anymore..... Peace in the house again lol
Thanks for all replies....

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Mine isn't even a year old yet and I have lost four keys.

I have been told that most laptops, no matter the cost, have crappy keyboards.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

It's really annoying when it happens. On desktop pcs it's the norm to just get rid of a keyboard and get a better one, but different with laptops

edit on 26-1-2012 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join