Mmmm Bacon! Is there anything it can't do? (Nosebleeds)

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Bacon and beer, what further proof do we need that God loves us and wants us to be happy? Now from the world of medicine comes a new wonder substance-----BACON!

Who doesn’t love the smell of bacon in the morning? Let’s hope that people with chronic nosebleeds really love it, because doctors have found new evidence that strips of bacon inserted up the nose can stop nosebleeds.

Yes, it’s true. A report published in the Annals in Otology, Rhinology and Larynology found that strips of “cured salted pork crafted as a nasal tampon and packed within the nasal vaults” successfully stopped a 4-year-old girl’s nosebleeds.

The authors noted that this was the “first description of nasal packing with strips of cured pork for treatment of life-threatening hemorrhage. . .

. . . Doctors of yesteryear apparently knew much about the curative powers of cured pork.

According to a report in the Guardian, doctors in the 1940s and 1950s reported the benefits of salt pork in stopping the occasional nosebleed. Eventually, doctors may have turned up their noses at the practice because of “bacterial and parasitic complications,” as well as improved medical techniques, . . .
ABC medical news

I wish I had an opinion or something cute to say, my only reward is the knowledge of bringing valuable medical information to ATS.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Actually, my Hungarian grandmother used to use bacon for my splinters when I was a kid, since I refused to let her pull them out with tweezers. She would wrap the affected area in a bacon strip, then wrap it with plastic wrap and put a sock over it (usually it was in the hand or foot), and I would go to sleep.

In the morning, the splinter would be out on the bacon.

Who knew they could also stop nosebleeds! I'm assuming they are using the bacon raw, and not cooked to a crisp....?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Considering everything strictly healthy tastes awful, and we love everything that's bad for us, don't be surprised if you develop cancer from bacon.

Too much of a good thing, you know...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Mmmmmmm... bacon! You b@st@rd, making us think of bacon with no bacon in sight!
Star for you though.

Bacon strips. Bacon flips. Now we're just missing Muscles Glasses.
edit on 25-1-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Considering everything strictly healthy tastes awful, and we love everything that's bad for us, don't be surprised if you develop cancer from bacon.

Too much of a good thing, you know...

Or...that bacon cures cancer........

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

the question is answered

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
"Nasal tampon???????????

Hilarious!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Bacon is bad for you !!

Pork is bad for you !!

This is a great example of how to use this food which should not be consumed

I wonder how this would work as a tampon

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There's a great image of bacon at the top of my sourced article. Some day I'll figure out how to copy and paste them, but go look if you need a fix.

Dazed husband, 3 a.m., at the drug store: " My wife sent me to get some tampons."

Clerk: "Yes, sir. What kind?"

Husband : "Hickory smoked ought to do it."

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Well I'll be damned!

I actually get this problem sometimes, well, I'm on my way to get some bacon.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I think that array of doctors mentioned in the quote proclaiming the magical effects of bacon (which I love) need to talk to some oncologists about how the nitrates within bacon and sausage cause cancer.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Mmmm Bacon! Is there anything it can't do?

It's own angioplasty?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2

Bacon is bad for you !!

Pork is bad for you !!

More bacon for me.

When in doubt... add bacon.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Shhhhhhhh....it's supposed to be a secret.
It's like Subway telling us how theirs is the "healthy alternative" to fast food, when their cold cuts are loaded with nitrates and nitrites.
Didn't you know that pancreatic cancer is better than being overweight?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Oh dear. That's not very good news for any muslims then as they don't like bacon or something. They'll probably have to use cotton wool like every body else. Question though, Do you like your bacon crispy or not?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I notice, with some dismay, the sudden appearance of those who would cast aspersions on this magnificent substance. The delight of Man's eye, the fragrant perfume of nature, the taste beyond ambrosia. Perfection in it's very being. Yet, there are scoffers.

Yes, there is a price to pay for the enjoyment of this incredible food. I ask you, what great thing comes without a price? Who is so small-minded as to expect to give up nothing for a taste so nearly divine? Great composers have been stimulated to symphonies by the offerings of the humble pig. Great painters, poets, and novelists have been lifted to Olympian heights boosted by this porcine fuel.

Nay, I do not ask you to bow down before it, that would be embarassing to our poor pork product. But hold it high in your esteem, treasure its virtues, teach your children to admire it's fine texture, these are all appropriate and good.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Well said

I buy a brand that has not been bastardised by chemistry. It is made by Hormel. Natural Choices is the name.

BTW I like mine extra crispy!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
How could anybody be a detracter of bacon. the most wonderful food stuff in all the world. I have to admit i really don't like all the information about diet being bandied about these days. Most of it is just hocus pocus by big pharma. I don't believe it for a minute. Before you believe any of the bogus studies you read, check just who funded the research. As I always say "If you want to know the truth, follow the money".

All of my family ate a high fat diet for their whole lives. Bacon, Country Ham,and every kind of red meat you can imagine. They cooked with lard and real butter.They ate it with every meal. Every day. Not one of them ever had serious medical problems and not one of them lived less that their mid eighties. Most of them lived till their ninties.However none of them ever sat around staring at the boob tube all the time either. They were always active,They always had things to do.

Any food in moderation won't harm you. If you do it to excess of coarse it will cause problems. Just as anything else will. Perhaps i will add some bacon to my first aid kit.
edit on 1/25/2012 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

bacon
edit on 1/25/2012 by lonegurkha because: Edit to add

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Bacon is so wonderful and tasty! Now it can do more amazing things! Thats great to hear. And i was just wondering... who likes my avatar... lmao

top topics

join