It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama SOTU was for 8th graders!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

I don't think it would have been very hard for the POTUS to speak on a much higher level.

But, he wanted congress to understand what he was talking about.

I have always hoped these people were smarter than they act most of the time.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Not only are political speeches at very low educational levels, news papers and news broadcasts are also at low levels. I remember a report about my home town newspaper being at the 6th grade level lol. Even TIME magazine averages a 10th grade reading level.

Of course the saddest part of it all is our "grade levels" are substandard to begin with.

I don't blame Obama for talking to us like ignorant children, Americans on average are ignorant children. I just wish he'd speak full sentences, not pause every few words so we forget what he's even talking about. I'd vote against him just so I never have to hear him speak again, even though he talks normally when not reading from a teleprompter or paper he always adds that damn pause. I found this interesting:

According to Research for Practice by Elizabeth H. Winslow and Ann F. Jacobson, The American Journal of Nursing, Vol. 98, No. 7 (Jul., 1998), pp. 55+57 www.jstor.org...

"Summarizing several studies done in the United States and Canada, the average reading skill level was estimated to be at around the 8th to 9th grade (University of Utah Health Sciences Center). However, this same study found that about one in five adults had a reading skill level at the 5th grade level or below." www.humanfactors.com...

But it's interesting to note that:

many newspapers and magazines are written to a 9th grade level;
USA Today, New York Times, and the New Yorker are written to a 10th grade level;
The Times of India is the least readable, at a 15th grade level.
John Grisham, Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, Stephen King, and Clive Cussler write at a 7th grade level;
Romance novels are often written at a 5th grade level

www.impact-information.com...

edit on 1/25/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join