It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Spends 2 Years In Solitary Confinement After DWI Arrest

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure most of you that say you would do 2 years in solitary confinement for 22 million dollars would be begging to get out after a month at the most. I guarantee it is a situation that is a lot easier said than done. Yeah, 22 million sounds wonderful, but I'll take my mental health thanks.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshF
I would gladly go through that for 22 million dollars

You'll need it to address the therapy bill as you wade through PTSD, hallucinations and suicidal ideation. Believe me, you'll have a name for each piece of belly-button lint you develop as your mind "invents" stimuli for you to process. It's sensory depravation, and it's evil. This guy will never have peace.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
2 years in solitary for a dwi. wtf is going on down there

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

Thanks for such a thoughtful post! I agree that it shouldn't have the stigma it does attached to it. I cannot argue that point with you at all. Some folks enjoy a few drinks after work, before going home to the daily stress routine that dinnertime usually is in most homes. I get that and totally am on board with that. I even agree that the levels they are using today to judge whether you are drunk or not, are completely out of line, much like most of our country these days.

Again, thank you for the thoughtful post and for giving me more to consider. My apologies to you for not getting to you sooner, but I have had 3 days from absolute hades, family wise, and it really hit me like a tank.

Peace!
SK

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Wow! Great post from the personal side of things in New Mexico. I have to admit that I spent a couple of years in New Mexico, in the Grants area while my mate worked on the Spaceport America project down in Truth or Consequences. I've never been so scared of living someplace in my entire life, as I felt, living there. And you are so right, the cops are on the take, the entire state is corrupt. I had a law enforcement run-in, unintentional and never should've happened type situation. But it did, and they wanted money- they didn't care where it was coming from, as long as they got paid, no one was going to jail. They knew we were out of state citizens, and they took us to the cleaners for an imagined offense I never committed.

I just have been trying very hard here with this thread to take a step back from my own personal feelings about the state, and just focus on what happened to this poor guy- whether someone thinks he "deserved" it or not. Drunk driving is an issue we all have to deal with, all over the world. The taking away of this man's rights is an absolute travesty in my opinion, and he deserves every dime he was awarded. I would love to see others punished for what happened- being law enforcement, they of all people, knew better.

I really appreciate such well thought out posts and I thank you for your response.

Peace!
SK

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Thank you so much for providing such an honest "from the inside out" look at our prison system today. It's an eye opener to be sure!!! And thank you for providing so much additional material to my thread- it really helped to fill it out and give folks a real look at things as they really stand in America today in our prison systems.

Please, don't anyone think I am ignoring them. I am attempting to multi task this latest "fun" /sarcasm with a thread I created before the event happened. Please bear with me, I am doing my best. I'm very surprised to get this much reaction on my first thread. Thank you guys so much! I've actually learned some great things from this and am enjoying the responses I read.

Peace!!
SK

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Ah yes, New Mexico. I live in New Mexico and I can tell you that this state is as corrupt as they come, top to bottom, with the exception of our new Republican Governor Susanna Martinez, and possibly a very few other politicians, I'm sure.

News stories of yet another school official, PRC member, cop or other public official being on the take or on drugs or abusing their position is almost a daily occurrence here. This place make Louisiana look like a fine example of how leadership should operate. The Democrats in power in Santa Fe are as corrupt as they come as well. They are in the process of killing a bill that would repeal the law that makes it very easy for illegal immigrants to get drivers licenses here. Why would they do that? Is it the right thing to do to keep illegal immigration illegal? Oh, but wait, with a driver's license, illegals can VOTE in New Mexico elections, including presidential elections. With out the illegal immigrant vote, democrats might not be in power here for long. NO WONDER they want to keep things the way they are. CORRUPT! By the way, former Governor Bill Richardson is probably going to be indicted one of these days for some of the illegal activity he was involved in as Governor. Unless of course he can pay off the prosecutors first.

Let's not even mention the fact that Albuquerque has just as many gang members as Dallas, despite being 1/4 the size. Or, for you math-impaired, FOUR TIMES AS MANY GANG MEMBERS as Dallas, per capita. No wonder Breaking Bad is set in Albuquerque. It's a reality show, more or less. I always carry my .45 when I go into Albuquerque, even the "nice" areas of town. I've been mad-dogged by gangbangers many times, and I am tired of it, frankly.

So that's my New Mexico rant. This place is a craphole, getting more ghetto by the day. I am looking forward to the day I put this place in my rearview.

So a guy getting tossed in solitary for 2 years and forgotten? Not that unbelievable for New Mexico. Glad he's getting the money - he deserves every dime.

So much for the land of enchantment. Taos & Santa Fe were our favorite vacation destinations when I was a kid.

I hope the guy gets some of that $$ for his trouble. I would not trade one minute of my freedom for $$.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by L00kingGlass

No that's a perfect system. Perfect systems do not exist. A system with functional checks and balances is the single only working system on Earth that doesn't eliminate human free will.

Ergo, it works.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
DUI is a precrime arrest = until there is a victom there is no constitutional reason to arrest and jail some one hostage unless there is a victom - the poster is a nazi obviously saying DUI is a menace when no victom has complained of an injury its called habius corpus = show me the corpse ---- precrime is tyranny to the highest levels

victimless crime gets judges and their fellow BAR buddies rich as the attorneys do plea deals that are also unconstitutional - no one in a DUI is allowd a jury trial only bench trials and bench means bank in latin

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Yup, my county is pretty laid back. There is nothing about this in the local news. To think that this guys was suffering for years a few miles from me is sad. Maybe in a few months someone will think to check all the prisons for guys that got their paperwork lost.This often happens with CIA prisoners. Someone will come and move them and then purposly lose the paperworkd again. I doubt this guy was involved with the CIA. It makes for a good conspiracy theory.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by alexagendajones
DUI is a precrime arrest = until there is a victom there is no constitutional reason to arrest and jail some one hostage unless there is a victom - the poster is a nazi obviously saying DUI is a menace when no victom has complained of an injury its called habius corpus = show me the corpse ---- precrime is tyranny to the highest levels

victimless crime gets judges and their fellow BAR buddies rich as the attorneys do plea deals that are also unconstitutional - no one in a DUI is allowd a jury trial only bench trials and bench means bank in latin

You say the truth, and we claim to live in a free country. Even seat belt laws breach the moral code we should have our laws follow.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
wether he was arrested for "suspected" DWI or for "suspected" murder , the fact remains that he was never CONVICTED of anything - he never received a trial.

So many constitutional rights were initially violated , before even getting into the implications behind denying a (kidnapped) prisoner medical attention.

On another note, I also noticed the rather shotty reporting of this story and I am not suprised. CNN plays constantly in the break room of were i work. I've noticed a trend in the "news" in which they only report the "bad" side of the story without actually delving into the begining, middle, end and consequences for the police state (the shadowy boogie man)

Its subconscious. The viewer/reader walks away with an understanding that their rights can ,and will ,be violated with no resolution or justice.

The Bad is reporting completely intentional.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I see another Rodney King in the making after that check hits the bank. Prolly some organized gangstalking.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

So you think drinking and driving is OK? Amazing. I'm guessing you drink and drive? Eventually you will have a victim. You may even murder somebody and yes if your drunk and kill someone it is murder.

Your whole argument is childish. When you drive drunk you infringe on the rights of others. That is a crime whether you acknowledge it or not.

You must have gotten your education on the law from drunks and criminals.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SweetKarma

Two years???! Damn!

I once had to spend two hours in solitary and I'm still bitter.

It seems like law enforcement is routinely forgetting who they work for, or is it just me?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by femalepharoe

After reading other sources the story is a bit different than the one linked to. He did receive a competency hearing. If found incompetent they could legally hold him to protect him from himself and the public from him. He had a prior history of mental illness also.

The problem though is the treatment he got and the lack of medical treatment. He deserves the settlement.

He was offered two million before the jury went out to settle. That was also missing in the linked article.

I'd like to know a lot more about his behavior that led to the competency hearing in the first place. I can't help but feel there is more to this story. That's the problem with only getting one side. However the authorities silence is pretty damning.

The original arrest was completely reasonable as he was drunk and driving a car that was not his. That and he obviously acted in a way that alerted them he was mentally ill enough to need a competency hearing. The rest sounds like revenge for his behavior for some reason. He must have done something to turn them against him to that level.

I hate these one sided stories.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by alexagendajones

- no one in a DUI is allowd a jury trial only bench trials and bench means bank in latin

Wrong!

Certainly in the event that someone is charged with a felony (such as felony DUI)!

You are certainly going to have a jury trial if you so chose...where did you come up with the idea DUI's are restricted to a bench trial?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
Wow! That's pretty harsh. Then again....I live in Montana currently, and it isn't unusual for me to pick up the paper EVERY DAY and see someone arrested for their 5th or 8th DUI or whatever. They do a little time and get out and do it all over again. There are some here they should lose the key for.

This guy though has a legitimate gripe it sounds like.

So me of these people here in Montana are the ones who should get the solitary, or "special" treatment.

It's hard to believe it took 2 years for them to "remember him.

you are aware that 'special treatment' was a term used by the SS on internal documents describing the liquidation of minorities and political enemies, right? ('sonderbehandlung')

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by alexagendajones

- no one in a DUI is allowd a jury trial only bench trials and bench means bank in latin

Wrong!

Certainly in the event that someone is charged with a felony (such as felony DUI)!

You are certainly going to have a jury trial if you so chose...where did you come up with the idea DUI's are restricted to a bench trial?

Probably from a 'sovereign rights' website. the load of nonsense that it is.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

So you think drinking and driving is OK? Amazing. I'm guessing you drink and drive? Eventually you will have a victim. You may even murder somebody and yes if your drunk and kill someone it is murder.

Your whole argument is childish. When you drive drunk you infringe on the rights of others. That is a crime whether you acknowledge it or not.

You must have gotten your education on the law from drunks and criminals.

There is no requirement for a 'victim' in order to be convicted of a crime. There are crimes mala in se, and crimes which are malum prohibita ... in the latter case, the crime is created by statute.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join